Boat securement

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering about laws having boats secured to trailers. My employer has multiple boats all Zodiacs and the newest one is 20' Rigid hull Zodiac. We currently have it winched tight at the front and two tie downs on the back; is there anything saying you need a strap across the centre, kind of from wheel of the trailer than over the boat to the other wheel?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess if you went with dot laws you would need more than 1 on a boat over 5 ft long. not sure always only had the same set up as you and never had an issue.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Wondering about laws having boats secured to trailers. My employer has multiple boats all Zodiacs and the newest one is 20' Rigid hull Zodiac. We currently have it winched tight at the front and two tie downs on the back; is there anything saying you need a strap across the centre, kind of from wheel of the trailer than over the boat to the other wheel?

I've only ever used the front winch & safety chain with 2 rear tie downs...

Not sure whats "Legal" but I'm comfortable with 3 point contact....

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been stopped a few times and what they check for is that the winch and safety chain and two straps at the back are in place, rated for the load and in good shape and they also check to make sure the safety chains at the hitch are crossed over each other. This is how new boats are delivered as well.

Top Bottom