Blew The Engine in My 700 Saturday

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was clipping through a field by a friends house on Saturday pretty good catwalking over the tops of hills at near WOT... on and off when the engine decided to bog out. Stopped to take a look WALA no compression on the Mag side. Towed the POS out of the field to the road, loaded it on the truck, took it home and had the motor out of the sled opened up in 2 and a half hours. Looks like it ran severely lean for some reason. (Unfamiliar with Vari-Flow, and must've done something wrong with it.) The Mag side piston has a crater in it the size of a quarter and about peanut size deep. The cylinder walls are scored quite bad. Wasn't in a picture taking mood while we tore the motor down, so sorry no pics. But I did happen to have the helmet cam going when the engine cratered and got the lovely tow back on camera as well. I'll post the video soon. :d

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of now, I don't need any parts, we took it into Elk Island Sales to get rebuilt.

Edited the video, here it is:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqqb4cIp8o[/media]

That really sucks man! Most of us have experienced that same feeling of digust. Unfortunately someone decided that's how we learn!:confused::d

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really sucks man! Most of us have experienced that same feeling of digust. Unfortunately someone decided that's how we learn!:confused::d

Yeah, it's all fun and games lol. I was more pissed off then when I thought it was my fault. Now my dad has taken the blame so it's all good! Probably didn't help that I had it at WOT for about 1/8th to 1/4 mile. I JUST HAD TO BEAT THE 670 lol. He was at WOT throttle as well and I smoked him pretty good, mostly because my sled was running extremely lean at the time. :rolleyes:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how do you blow 2 440s? i had one since i was 9 and it has well over 10000 miles on it and it still ran strong when i took it out of ym red neck mod, rucky seems to me it was held open to long, lol

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you blow 2 440s? i had one since i was 9 and it has well over 10000 miles on it and it still ran strong when i took it out of ym red neck mod, rucky seems to me it was held open to long, lol

Holding it open that long probably didn't help matters, but it turns out that wasn't the main reason. Vari-Flow was set up improperly and leaned the chit out of it lol. But on the brightside, I smoked that 670! :d

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Needs new cylinder on mag side. Pto cylinder just needs to be renikasiled. New pistons. All comes out to $1400 with labour. The dealer is also installing updated crank bearings for $200.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rucky, is she all fixed now?

Just got the engine back yesterday. I have the pistons, I might post pics on Thursday or Friday when I have time. Elk Island polished up my engine very nicely. Looks brand new completely. Pretty impressed with their service, other than a mix up on crank bearing price, but no big deal as it ended up cheaper than they say. Came out to about $1700 with labour. Should have engine in the sled by Sunday if all goes as planned. :d

Top Bottom