Blast Radius ??????????

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just found out 2 weeks ago that Spectra is tentatively putting their natural gas pipeline to a Prince Rupert LNG plant through my property. It's a 48" line at just over 2000 psi and the route so far puts it within about 300 yards of the house. Everything I've looked at so far on the internet indicates that if we are in the house and the line ruptures we will be dust. I haven't found anything close to this line in size and pressure for comparison. The closest was 42" at 1200 psi and the calculations for safe setback on that was 1 km. Anybody have any idea what the safe line would be for this?????

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crapp, that seems way too frigg'n close! Sounds like a way to get htem to build you a new house A LOT further away. This report says that you have a 0% chance of survival if a 650psig pipeline bursts within 300yards of your hour house.

I'll pay your life insurance premiums if you make me your sole beneficiary. :winkmsn:

...damn, wish I would have thought of that.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crapp, that seems way too frigg'n close! Sounds like a way to get htem to build you a new house A LOT further away. This report says that you have a 0% chance of survival if a 650psig pipeline bursts within 300yards of your hour house.

...damn, wish I would have thought of that.

I was thinking they would need to move my house as well, but I need to find a precedence somewhere before I approach them with that.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking they would need to move my house as well, but I need to find a precedence somewhere before I approach them with that.

Maybe if you hit 'em up fast enough they'll do it just to shut you up.

wiseguy

Reaction score
Are you sure it's 2000psi and not 2000kpa? I spent 8 months up at the Spectra plant that all the new pipelines are being fed by and I don't recall anything of that pressure. You need to calculate the stored energy factor and convert it to kilojoules. I have the formula somewhere and will try to figure it out for you. I also have a buddy who is an engineer with Spectra. I will ask him about it tomorrow. If all else fails, I would hit up the closest army surplus store and get your self a helmet.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's 2000psi and not 2000kpa? I spent 8 months up at the Spectra plant that all the new pipelines are being fed by and I don't recall anything of that pressure. You need to calculate the stored energy factor and convert it to kilojoules. I have the formula somewhere and will try to figure it out for you. I also have a buddy who is an engineer with Spectra. I will ask him about it tomorrow. If all else fails, I would hit up the closest army surplus store and get your self a helmet.

I asked the Spectra rep the same question and it's 2000 psi not kpa. Apparently this pipe is fairly unique as in there's not many around this size carrying this pressure, one joint will be a truck load.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Which Spectra plant were you at, I work at PRGP????????????

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pipeline_explosion.jpg
got this sent to me in a email

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certain oil company is trying to get approval for a 7% sour 6 inch line within .5 of town the erp covers the whole town one wooops and good bye kinda know what you are thinking right now.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certain oil company is trying to get approval for a 7% sour 6 inch line within .5 of town the erp covers the whole town one wooops and good bye kinda know what you are thinking right now.

Are you sayin they wanna build this line within .5 km of GP??????

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is no way in hell any government should allow a line like this to pass this close to any town. Make the oil company spend a couple dollars more and route it a safer distance away, my 2 cents.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Transcanada pipeline in our front yard 20" i believe running at 1200 psi and only 50m away. If you have ever seen pictures from after a rupture anything within a 1k radius is either dust or still running. The one thing is the amount of ruptures from natural occuring corrosion as to someone damaging the pipe and not reporting it are minimal. This line was put in the ground in 1972 am i concerend yes but more about being run over by a drunk or distracted driver. With newer laws any pipe put in the ground now are under way more testing and better materials. You may have the option to request thicker pipe on your property or hire willy to say no to progress.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
48" @ 2000psi ??? I'd have another look at those numbers if I were you. It will be in the package that the land man hand delivered you.

Yeah, 2K seems really hight for a 48" but for this exercise it doesn't matter. If it ruptures/ignites you will be incinerated.
Rough numbers, a 50 mile stretch of 42" pipe at 1000 PsiG will hold around 200 Million cu/ft of gas.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you'll have better luck winning the lottery than being involved in a rupture, unless ya like using heavy equipment around the yard. ya need a spark to ignite in the first place.

Top Bottom