Black magic 800 Cat Engines

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I searched around on these type of motors, I couldnt find out to much other than Black Magic is no longer in business.

I just want to know if they are any good, dependable ect. I did read that you have to run race fuel, not sure if thats true.

Any info on this would be greatly appreicated. Thanks. :d

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm parting out my m7 with an rkt 800 big bore 300 km on rebuild and was only rebuilt to freshen up will sell complete engine for 1800,crank just trued and welded was only .001' out according to mots in st albert,new pistons,rings,rkt cyl head 13.2:1 head inserts,also have a speewerx pipe to go with this set up and bd#s runs on premium,ran for 3 years complete pull and go sled

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm parting out my m7 with an rkt 800 big bore 300 km on rebuild and was only rebuilt to freshen up will sell complete engine for 1800,crank just trued and welded was only .001' out according to mots in st albert,new pistons,rings,rkt cyl head 13.2:1 head inserts,also have a speewerx pipe to go with this set up and bd#s runs on premium,ran for 3 years complete pull and go sled

Thanks for the info on your motor. The black magic engine Im asking about is already in a sled. Im looking into it, but want to know if the motor is going to be more of a head ache than anything. I already figured out that parts for them is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find, which scares me away already.

But IF the bottom end (block/case) of this BM motor is a stock CAT engine, could a person take off all the BM parts and put on original CAT parts, so a person can run regular fuel? :d

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you just need a stock engine? i have one with 200 km fresh rebuild for 1000 if thats what your looking for

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you just need a stock engine? i have one with 200 km fresh rebuild for 1000 if thats what your looking for

Im not looking for an engine, just thinking about buying this M7 with a BM 800 in it. Dont wanna get it and the motor is a POS !!! :d Or if I get it, trade the BM 800 for a stock 700. Not sure just yet, just want to know the reliability of these BM 800's. Thanks for your offers though. At least if I blow an engine in my other M's, I know who to get a hold of... :d

Last edited:

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:
Im not looking for an engine, just thinking about buying this M7 with a BM 800 in it. Dont wanna get it and the motor is a POS !!! :d Or if I get it, trade the BM 800 for a stock 700. Not sure just yet, just want to know the reliability of these BM 800's. Thanks for your offers though. At least if I blow an engine in my other M's, I know who to get a hold of... :d

no problem:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BM engines were great in their day, but with BM out of business - STAY AWAY! IMO. At the end of the day, its still a mod engine and it will run well........ probably..........for a little while. Then you are left with scrap metal if it breaks. Most of the piston makers will not make pistons or release the molds without authorization from the original manufacturer, and most piston makers need a run of at least 12 (I think) pistons if you wanted to make a special run of them in your BM engine size.

If the bottom end has not been case ported or tampered with, then you could re-install stock Cat parts and run it, but very hard to say without ripping it down, and you would need to get it cheap if you were going to dump another $1000 into it. Much like Hooper, BM engines were not just bolt on kits, they usually did the full motor for race applications. I would steer clear.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BM engines were great in their day, but with BM out of business - STAY AWAY! IMO. At the end of the day, its still a mod engine and it will run well........ probably..........for a little while. Then you are left with scrap metal if it breaks. Most of the piston makers will not make pistons or release the molds without authorization from the original manufacturer, and most piston makers need a run of at least 12 (I think) pistons if you wanted to make a special run of them in your BM engine size.

If the bottom end has not been case ported or tampered with, then you could re-install stock Cat parts and run it, but very hard to say without ripping it down, and you would need to get it cheap if you were going to dump another $1000 into it. Much like Hooper, BM engines were not just bolt on kits, they usually did the full motor for race applications. I would steer clear.

Thanks MODMAN, I appreciate your opinion. Im thinking the same way... stay clear. Thanks for the info... :d

Top Bottom