Black iron pipe, threaded

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After many years of working on my shop it is finally starting to near the end.

For any of the gas fitters/plumbers in the room, whats the price of 1" black iron pipe per foot? I need to run about 125ft of 1" gas line in the shop from the north end, up the wall, across the ceiling, into the next room, down the wall, into the mechanical room, into the boiler. Id rent the threader for a weekend and get the air test on. Leave the hookup for a ticketed pro.

Im also considering running black iron pipe from the boiler loop into the one bay for a hydronic unit heater, but not sure if i should use copper or threaded pipe. Depends on price and time. I use to be a plumber 10 years ago, but still solder lots, but havnt threaded a pipe in ages.

If the pipe is cheap enough, id consider running black pipe across shop for airline distribution too.

Also whats the code for hanger spacing on gaslines?

Screenshot_20191123-215028_Gallery.jpg

Flyer

Reaction score
I used PEX water pipe for airlines in my shop. No problems after 10 years. Cheap and easy.

Black pipe is cheap. For a run that long, 1” sounds too small. Check the code. Might be on line. You need to know BTU rating of each appliance on the line.

Last edited:

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/4”-1” is 8’ spacing for hangers, don’t forget to mark the piping with yellow tape. Also you will need to know but’s and total distance

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After many years of working on my shop it is finally starting to near the end.

For any of the gas fitters/plumbers in the room, whats the price of 1" black iron pipe per foot? I need to run about 125ft of 1" gas line in the shop from the north end, up the wall, across the ceiling, into the next room, down the wall, into the mechanical room, into the boiler. Id rent the threader for a weekend and get the air test on. Leave the hookup for a ticketed pro.

Im also considering running black iron pipe from the boiler loop into the one bay for a hydronic unit heater, but not sure if i should use copper or threaded pipe. Depends on price and time. I use to be a plumber 10 years ago, but still solder lots, but havnt threaded a pipe in ages.

If the pipe is cheap enough, id consider running black pipe across shop for airline distribution too.

Also whats the code for hanger spacing on gaslines?

View attachment 220396

nice shop. Pole shed or stick built? How big?

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick built, 2x8 framing, 44x64 16ft high.

2 bays, 1 bay 24x44 which will be heated all the time, the other bay is 40x44 which is sorta like a cold storage bay. Only throw heat when im out there.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick built, 2x8 framing, 44x64 16ft high.

2 bays, 1 bay 24x44 which will be heated all the time, the other bay is 40x44 which is sorta like a cold storage bay. Only throw heat when im out there.

Sweet. Had any problems with snow coming off the roof and piling up in front of the doors?

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it definitely piles up a bit. The snow stop helps alot, but some does accumulate. But i just shovel it out and drive over the rest.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 inch black iron pipe at metal shop is $1.90 a ft. At coop its closer to $4 a ft.

Top Bottom