Black exhaust stain... Common issue?

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for some input about the black exhaust spots my sled is leaving everywhere I go. The sled would leave to black spots and then a snail trail where ever I went. The guys always knew where I was.

I took it in and the dealer found that my injectors leaked quite bad and were replaced. The snail trail is now gone but I still have the black spots. I ride with another '14 xm and it hardly leaves any stains on the snow.

I have a '14 xm 163 with a MBRP trail can that has the updated probe bung on it.

Pinned from a stop, chewing through deep snow, pin and wiggle stuck, or on and off throttle to the bar it does this. The exhaust is so strong it burns your eyes at times. A ski pull is total torture. It's back at the dealer again but so far they haven't found anything.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778359.510108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778375.517506.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778408.319981.jpg

This is what the other '14 xm with a MBRP race can leaves on the snow. I swapped cans and tried the race can on mine but it still left the stains behind.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778504.862687.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778523.038460.jpg

This is the worst one of the whole trip that his sled left.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427778555.238426.jpg

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever have a check engine light / code, namely code P1477?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take that bung out of the can. I think that's for the 13 and older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take that bung out of the can. I think that's for the 13 and older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am talking about the can exhaust temp sensor bung. For '14 MBRP made them too long and they needed to be shortened. Max length should be 30 - 35mm. Mine has been cut down and re welded. It was at 65mm.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddies did the exact same thing. Coincidently it also had MBRP trail can on it. He ended up selling it so never did find out what the issue was.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next ride ill have to check my buddies sleds vs mine. they all run HPS. i recall curtis having this issue in 2013 black spots everywhere. put the stock can back on and it was gone

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its probably not a big deal, it's usually caused be an over rich condition. If your plugs are in good condition, check your air box and air intake track for obstruction and air flow especially at the entrance. Small or obstructed air intakes will cause this especially on warmer day's.
Another thing to check is your APS(atmospheric pressure sensor) and ATS(air temperature sensor), they send a signal to the ECU giving information on elevation and outside temperature. If one or both info is missing the ECU will revert to rich automatically to protect the motor. Thus giving you the black at the exhaust.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next ride ill have to check my buddies sleds vs mine. they all run HPS. i recall curtis having this issue in 2013 black spots everywhere. put the stock can back on and it was gone

I ran my buddies race can for a bit and he ran my trail can the same day, my sled seemed more responsive with the race can on. But the black marks didn't go away. Maybe we didn't ride long enough to see any change. We switched it for about an hour or so.

Let me know what you find out please.

I'm sure my dealer would be testing the sensors mentioned by Lund.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran my buddies race can for a bit and he ran my trail can the same day, my sled seemed more responsive with the race can on. But the black marks didn't go away. Maybe we didn't ride long enough to see any change. We switched it for about an hour or so.

Not necessarily, it's often overlooked as your sled will run perfectly fine otherwise. Plus i have seen some tech's not knowing how to test for such problem's at a few dealer's now. Many shop rely alot on computer diagnostic's with codes and not so much on individual component testing for a customer complaint. If their diagnostic computer come's up with no issue they are basically lost and say nothing is wrong. A component can act up under a certain condition that cannot be replicated in a shop and would most likely not set a code.

These component's operate on a very low voltage, a slight voltage drop because of a bad wire for example will cause a bad signal.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those sensors are tested with buds with one click. If they are faulty an engine code will show on the gauge cluster. I've seen them fail and that's how I knew to replace them

nielsy

Reaction score
check that the little hose that goes into the side of ecu didn't come off

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check that the little hose that goes into the side of ecu didn't come off

I had check all my connections, that specific hose will toss a check engine light if it is not connected. I wish it was that easy, Thanks though :beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The input hose, wont Allways set a code

Buddy's 15 didn't, just bought the sled

Wasn't pulling right, started to thinkable dano port pipe was the issue, took it off, but found the hose off midway

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

As already mentioned...... Try a stock one........ If you still have one put it on and try it. Otherwise come and see me and Ill give you a stock one. Two of my friends had sleds that did that same thing. You have a can that had a port that was too long... and then cut... and re-welded????They are far to sensitive for that. Why didn't you just get a new one?..... I would REALLY be suprised if that WASN'T the problem. If I had a dollar for everytime somebody screamed bloody murder... for something that ended up being a can issue I wouldn't have to work anymore.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned...... Try a stock one........ If you still have one put it on and try it. Otherwise come and see me and Ill give you a stock one. Two of my friends had sleds that did that same thing. You have a can that had a port that was too long... and then cut... and re-welded????They are far to sensitive for that. Why didn't you just get a new one?..... I would REALLY be suprised if that WASN'T the problem. If I had a dollar for everytime somebody screamed bloody murder... for something that ended up being a can issue I wouldn't have to work anymore.

The sled left streaks and spots when it was new and went in once the first year, they didn't find anything wrong they said. Sled did it before brake in and after with stock can.

Took it in again this year and was told the injectors have been leaking since new. Two new injectors, tech noticed my my MBRP can had the wrong probe tube length. It was suggested I have it cut and welded. They could do it or I could have it done. (This is why a new one was not purchased, I figured a tech would know)

Called MBRP to confirm they made a mistake in length for the entire years production run, they confirmed this and said they have fixed it going forward.

Sled has been out again and leaves big black stain but it is no longer leaving snail trails anymore. Bottom end throttle response has cleaned up quite a bit.

Waiting for a call back to see what thy find this time. Will take it out again if any snow is left when they are done with it and see what it does after being fixed.

Cans were changed between two sleds on the last trip out and it still did it, which leads me to the sled having an issue (as I stated above)

Top Bottom