Bistcho Lake

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to Bistcho Lake? Heading up fishing on the 10th of June, looks like good fishing there.
yup, used to go there every year until a few years ago, I think it was 13 years in a row before Jack Halverson sold it. awesome fishing, you should be right in the perfect walleye window. anything you need to know, just ask.

looking at the dock from the plane....
pictures2018Small.jpg

couple of the monster pike we've yoinked outta there....
pictures1859Small.jpg

pictures1857Small.jpg

got there too early a few times....brrrr
pictures1826Medium.jpg

pictures1845Medium.jpg

and been there for a few snowfalls
pictures1842.jpg

cheap drink ice, it was $1.50/ziplock sandwich bag at the lodge to buy ice. bring lots in your coolers
pictures1852.jpg

cold....fish on!
pictures1876Small.jpg

if it rains, chances are you'll be riding in one of these if the runway is wet
pictures2085Small.jpg

good times at the Tapawingo Lodge
pictures1891.jpg

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was supposed to be leaving today for there, trip got pushed up to the 11-14, probably lots of snow there this week. Any recommendations for packing? Only allowed 50#'s each, so much for the food:rolleyes:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was supposed to be leaving today for there, trip got pushed up to the 11-14, probably lots of snow there this week. Any recommendations for packing? Only allowed 50#'s each, so much for the food:rolleyes:
they always whine about too much stuff going onto the plane in high level. pack what you think you will need, if they are taking you on the small plane you can leave some stuff at the trucks if you have too much, but if they use the 9 seater you can pack a lot of stuff. we usually just bring breakfast foods, spuds and veggies for side dishes, and steaks for one night, as well as snacks. make a pot of chili or something in case you get skunked, but we have never had bad fishing there. and lots of booze....we have left behind cases of water instead of the beer they wanted us to leave....:rolleyes:

make sure you have warm clothes, and good rain gear. spare rods, and spare reels, you don't want to have to buy anything from the lodge....it's pricey but they do have some tackle and snacks etc. mosquito coils are always handy, if it's warm they will be swarming. sometimes there is some coils in the cabin, but bring some just in case there isn't. sucks trying to sleep when them little fawkers are buzzing you all night. and don't forget sunscreen, if it's hot it can be brutally hot on the lake, been sunburnt bad out there more times than I care to remember.

I'll add stuff as I remember, seems like every time we went, we forgot something....lol

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ye....awesome lake for Walleye but they cut the limit back to (1) I think....make sure you got mosquito dope....they were horrendous when we were there...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some other advice, try and catch your take home fish early in the trip and freeze it as soon as you can (there is a big freezer there). take some freezer bags, like big ones that are large enough to hold a good size fish as you have to leave them whole (but gutted of course) in case fins and feathers check you out when you get back to high level. mark your fish bags with a marker in big bold letters, cause we've had peeps leaving before us take our fish out of the freezer....dicks.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they always whine about too much stuff going onto the plane in high level. pack what you think you will need, if they are taking you on the small plane you can leave some stuff at the trucks if you have too much, but if they use the 9 seater you can pack a lot of stuff. we usually just bring breakfast foods, spuds and veggies for side dishes, and steaks for one night, as well as snacks. make a pot of chili or something in case you get skunked, but we have never had bad fishing there. and lots of booze....we have left behind cases of water instead of the beer they wanted us to leave....:rolleyes:

make sure you have warm clothes, and good rain gear. spare rods, and spare reels, you don't want to have to buy anything from the lodge....it's pricey but they do have some tackle and snacks etc. mosquito coils are always handy, if it's warm they will be swarming. sometimes there is some coils in the cabin, but bring some just in case there isn't. sucks trying to sleep when them little fawkers are buzzing you all night. and don't forget sunscreen, if it's hot it can be brutally hot on the lake, been sunburnt bad out there more times than I care to remember.

I'll add stuff as I remember, seems like every time we went, we forgot something....lol

Thanks Teeroy, been helpful already:beer:
Do they have a good well, does a guy need water or just a water bottle?
Do you know if there is cell service there?
What do the Walleye like?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Teeroy, been helpful already:beer:
Do they have a good well, does a guy need water or just a water bottle??

bring water, there is no well there that I know of. the showers use water pumped up to the lodge from the lake.

Do you know if there is cell service there??

no cell service, but they have a tower at the lodge that connects up with Paramont's plant and they have a phone there in case you need to call someone, or someone needs to call you. like for arranging extra time off work when the runway is too wet to use, and no float planes available....:D

What do the Walleye like?
this is the million dollar question...lol. we have had success with everything from jigs to len thompson spoons. 5 o' diamonds and green frog spoons have always worked good, sometimes the ol' red devil is the slayer. other times it's rapalas, blue/green colored that gets them. bring lots of different colored jigtails....yellow, white, and black have been the best action for me. I have never packed minnows, but lots of guys bring 'em.

if you have never night fished, bring some glowing jigtails if you can find them. it doesn't really get that dark in june, we have went out at 11pm and sat just off the southwest point of dog island (if you're standing on the dock, dog island is the small island you will see off to your right) and caught fish all night, and I don't mean catching one every 10 minutes, but everytime your hook hits the water. we were catching them in less than a foot of water at night, they were gorging themselves on minnows in the shallows in the dark. best action I've ever had fishing in my life.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bring water, there is no well there that I know of. the showers use water pumped up to the lodge from the lake.

no cell service, but they have a tower at the lodge that connects up with Paramont's plant and they have a phone there in case you need to call someone, or someone needs to call you. like for arranging extra time off work when the runway is too wet to use, and no float planes available....:D

this is the million dollar question...lol. we have had success with everything from jigs to len thompson spoons. 5 o' diamonds and green frog spoons have always worked good, sometimes the ol' red devil is the slayer. other times it's rapalas, blue/green colored that gets them. bring lots of different colored jigtails....yellow, white, and black have been the best action for me. I have never packed minnows, but lots of guys bring 'em.

if you have never night fished, bring some glowing jigtails if you can find them. it doesn't really get that dark in june, we have went out at 11pm and sat just off the southwest point of dog island (if you're standing on the dock, dog island is the small island you will see off to your right) and caught fish all night, and I don't mean catching one every 10 minutes, but everytime your hook hits the water. we were catching them in less than a foot of water at night, they were gorging themselves on minnows in the shallows in the dark. best action I've ever had fishing in my life.

Thanks Teeroy, I was told there was water, glad you told me that. Thanks for the fishing tip, sounds like we should have had you for the guide. I think I'm going to prepare meals before I leave, except breakfast, that should save lots of weight.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Teeroy, I was told there was water, glad you told me that. Thanks for the fishing tip, sounds like we should have had you for the guide. I think I'm going to prepare meals before I leave, except breakfast, that should save lots of weight.
I haven't been there since '08, but they didn't have drinking water there unless you bought it from the lodge (in bottles). it may have changed, so I may be wrong on this.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got a phone call from my buddy that owns MSS trucking here in Grimshaw, he has 4 cabins reserved for next week up at Tapawingo and invited me to come along! flying out of High Level monday morning.....w00t!!

guess I'll see ya there Duke....:D

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got a phone call from my buddy that owns MSS trucking here in Grimshaw, he has 4 cabins reserved for next week up at Tapawingo and invited me to come along! flying out of High Level monday morning.....w00t!!

guess I'll see ya there Duke....:D

How long are you there for, we fly in Friday.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trying to get bigdawg (Wade) to come along....he says he might be able to

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NICE PICS TEE,,, lets see more....

AA lets see your pics,,,,:beer:
thanks JT...I think AA will be in there for a few more days, they were flying in as we were flying out.

here's a few more for ya buds....:D

pics032Medium.jpg

pics034Medium.jpg

pics055Medium.jpg

pics176Medium.jpg

pics174Medium.jpg

pics168Medium.jpg

wolverine on an island....
pics154Medium.jpg

pics083Medium.jpg

:beer:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Looked to be a good time Troy...... Kind of wishing I could have done that trip !

Top Bottom