bio-diesel

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just received notification that as of Jan 1st BC requires the availability of bio-diesel fuel (by law) where regular diesel is sold.

Alberta is July 1, 2010. MB and SK sometime early 2010 - but not sure when.

Is anyone running bio-diesel and if yes, what are your thoughts.
What are the positive aspects for the consumer and our vehicle versus the negatives? Just curious.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder what the price diffrence is going to be and u just know it will be here soon hummm my big f 350 is going to smell like fries haaaa:d

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill get some prices tommorow as there is a Bio plant 30 minutes from me. I was told it was close to the price of diesel. Only thing is it Gels 10 times easier than regular LS diesel. Sure doesnt make me want to run it in -40 weather.

Apextenn

Reaction score
Just a though as well to consider doesnt bio diesel have less energy in it per unit so wouldnt you get worse miledge? As well like you said it gels 10 times easier so i would imagine cold weather wouldnt be as good as well i wonder how it would be on fuel filters and such? And just my opinion the injector systems on newer trucks run around 26000 psi and i wonder if it has the same lubricating properties in it as normal unless i was forced to i wouldnt want to find out the hard way as to replace injectors of fuel pumps can be around 10 grand so might be an expensive experience for some people. Just my .02 cents.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=457773184300286737#[/media]

Let Stacey tell ya!.. as far as cold weather goes i agree with you guys.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a though as well to consider doesnt bio diesel have less energy in it per unit so wouldnt you get worse miledge? As well like you said it gels 10 times easier so i would imagine cold weather wouldnt be as good as well i wonder how it would be on fuel filters and such? And just my opinion the injector systems on newer trucks run around 26000 psi and i wonder if it has the same lubricating properties in it as normal unless i was forced to i wouldnt want to find out the hard way as to replace injectors of fuel pumps can be around 10 grand so might be an expensive experience for some people. Just my .02 cents.

Ya im with ya there man. I know there has been a few write ups in diesel power mag over the last few years and it makes a guy think twice about it. I know a guy in calgary that was running 80/20 bio during the summer then he was down to 20/80 bio/diesel in the winter. He said it dosnt really change anything. He was doing this in a 96 cummins 12 valve and injectors and pumps are cheap for those trucks. But for my 03 i sure would think twice as injectors are around 4k to replace and the CP3 is another 2k plus some labour. I dont think it will hurt the truck if it is mixed in a right proportion. I would be most concerned with it in the new trucks with DPF and Regen systems. I think it might spell problems on those trucks.

goodleo

Reaction score
Bio diesel is excellent for the diesel motors. It lubricates everything much better. It also makes your diesel run quieter. It is terrible in cold weather, jells very easy. The year before last, I produced my own bio and ran it all summer in my cummins and my wife's jetta tdi. I ran it 100% bio, no mixing, no problems. Smells great!! Mileage was about the same, but the cost was 25 cents/litre compared to $1.35/litre for pump diesel at that time. Excellent product!!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think bio fuel is a ridiculous concept. We can't feed the world now and we're going to start using our food source for fuel. Pfft. There is mega oil for fuel on this planet. Oh ya don't let those greenies brain wash you into thinking that our oil is the cause of global warming.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I think bio fuel is a ridiculous concept. We can't feed the world now and we're going to start using our food source for fuel. Pfft. There is mega oil for fuel on this planet. Oh ya don't let those greenies brain wash you into thinking that our oil is the cause of global warming.

Forgive me for this, but how is using used cooking oil that would end up in a landfill be a rediculous concept?

Yes, using corn to make fuel is silly as the energy cost to make it is more than what can be producted... but using the used fryer oil from restaurants is ultimate recycling. Not only will you be recylcing it, but the restaurant owners won't have to pay to have it hauled away, and how bad is it to smell chicken wings while driving around :rolleyes:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for this, but how is using used cooking oil that would end up in a landfill be a rediculous concept?

Yes, using corn to make fuel is silly as the energy cost to make it is more than what can be producted... but using the used fryer oil from restaurants is ultimate recycling. Not only will you be recylcing it, but the restaurant owners won't have to pay to have it hauled away, and how bad is it to smell chicken wings while driving around :rolleyes:

Yes the used cooking oil is fine but Canada and the US are building refineries (one is being built in Airdrie) for to harvest our grain and make bio-fuel. That is what I'm against.

I say grow grain for food and lets get back to extracting oil from the ground.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya like 45 minutes form my house there is a huge canola crushing plant going up. They put in like 10 50,000 bushel bins there and they are gonna be crushing the seed for the oil and then getting rid of the rest. Seems like a good way to make jobs for the locals, but whos to say how long it will last.

Top Bottom