Bighorn Heritage ATV Society Spring Meeting and AGM

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
Howdy folks, here is notice for the BHAS Spring Meeting
April 25 2017, 7pm at the Condor Hall

It a chance to find out what is going on and get involved.
The North Sask. Regional Plan, Regional Advisory Council (RAC) Report is expected to be released shortly.
This will require us to once again rally to provide input.

Hope to see you in Condor

Cal
AOHVA Secretary and Regional Director
Bighorn Sanding Committee Member
Clearwater Trails Initiative Project Manager

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
Hi again, we were wondering if anyone from Nordegg will be coming to the meeting.
I hear that here is a group organizing out there and this would be a great chance to coordinate activities and share information.
It is important for the Nordegg folks to be aware of the work being done in preparation for the NSRP RAC release.
Cheers
Cal

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is directions to Condor Community hall.

Going West on hwy 11 from Red Deer, head west on hwy 11 to RR 45 the hamlet of Condor.

Go North on RR 45 as you will see the school on East side of road,,, the Community Hall is on the West side.

Just waiting too hear back from Nordegg folks.

Hope too see some folks out there tonight.

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem as its important too be part of the loop that connects the dots.

Most of us can only imagine what "could" happen in our backyard with this GOA in control of things at this moment in time.

No feed back from the Nordegg folks for this meeting, but I'll share in these gathers when I get on the mailing list of future gatherings.

That way we all get the heads up well in advance.
S&M messaging board for each area across Alberta might be a way too do this.

If a person finds them selves in some strange area in the Province, we would be able to look at the messaging board too find out that other OHV groups are having meetings in their towns and cities...

Being part of S&M means we can stop in say hello, and get a free coffee. LOL.

Did I mention that free coffee is good. Ha

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure nice too meet you Cal, and thanks for all the work you have been doing behind the seens.

If only folks knew how much effort goes into keeping OHV and Snowmobile access areas open.

It would be nice too see more people come on board with clubs and groups that promotes these sports.

Deffinatly an eye opener for what "might" be coming down the pipe across all of Alberta in the next few years.

"Too much too share on the Web as each person can get it first hand at these meetings. Not right too share in this as each person comes out of these meeting with their own unique take on stuff.

I'll fill in a few gaps so we can all find out where and how we can get on board with them at our own choosing "if" we choose too.

Who-Daa Thunk that this stuff is up my ally, and how many human hours I have in this mix.

Gas, time, and distance so far, and some volunteers time coming up.

I do hope its worth the effort, but this is unknown depending on the in put of others across our Province.

Yes, with people jumping on board real soon, or the plan "could" fail.

Game plan is too do my part getting the message out there Cal,,, just like you've been doing all along.

Hope my listening skills improve as I learn and share what needs doing sooner than later.

Don

PS: I'll get the Nordegg info ASAP as we need all too join in.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BHAS Pro Active Idea

So the group that meet last night at Condor are aware of the happenings in the Castle Mountain Park Plan as its under works at this moment,,, it has us thinking that it's time for May 24th weekend too be OHV'ing in areas that have lots of people.

I will be getting some post cards too mail out in packs of 10, 20 that have two questions on them regarding the BIG HORN area if we would like or dis-like OHV trails in that area.

My plan is too hit 2 areas of Big Horn Dam and Hummingbird too see if camping folks are in favour of keeping the trails open out there.

Those that are willing too ride their areas where other campers are would be nice if I could send you a pack of these too get filled out on the spot of yes or no too the 2 question.

Then have the filled out ones and blanks returned to me asap after long weekend.

Packs of 10 or 20 is lots.

Looking for 20 too 30 folks going to different areas of their choosing by OHV's finding camper folk with units that might fill one or family of 3, 5, or more that can be sent back too me.

We're making up 2000 off the get go.

Hopefully I can mail packs too folks from the Crows Nest Pass in the South all the way North too Grande Prairie as you, your family, friends go camping in your areas too find folks that might fill them out.

The Lead note on the post card is a pro active move letting them know that the Big Horn area "could" be next in the frame works that our government "will" be looking at.

Then it asks on the back site it folks are interested in keeping it open for access too OHV's and all user groups.

Please, I ask you kindly brothers and sisters too send me a PM or on this open fourm if you would like to receive a package of 10 or 20 cards too get filled out on the long weekend "while your are camping and OHV'ing any Who.

It would be very kind if this would fit into your long weekend as it helps you, your friends and family as well as the rest of us.

And you get too enjoy seeing your area while helping out the Big Horn Heritage Society at the same time.

Please think of some way this might work for you and your family as it would help us out alot.

20 too 40 folks,,, I'll get your mailing address as I'll send the post cards asap when they come in.

I'll like those that par take in this too have these cards in hand a week before the long weekend ready to rock. Ha.

All that is needed from you is too say hello to people and ask if they are aware of what could happen in the Big Horn area in the near future. Then show them the card and ask if they would put check marks of yes or no for access for ohvs.

Please feel free too chat openly on this thread if it would work for you, or by PM to me Don Parsons aka Lem Lamb from Lacombe Alberta.

Together we can get a Pro Active Idea started in the next week too 2.

Thanks for your time all as I await too make my list of the boots on the grounds of whom might be able to do this in their area for long weekend coming up.

PS: Only those going to a rally can have 50 too 100 or more cards from the get go as we hope to have more cards after the long weekend.

2000 cards is a good starting ground as I will keep all informed how it's going

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is how I'd get my post cards filled out.
My first 30 will be with my co-workers, any left over end up in the friends and family collection... Ruffly about another 30 ish.
Then my plan is too take my truck and quad for a long weekend too crowded areas out West too say hello to folks while riding my quad.

Visit with folks at camp sites, staging areas, and on the trail. Most likely I'll cross paths with 100 folks per day I'm hoping.

That way I get a chance to ride and meet people.
This of course starts this long weekend and will run all year.
The 2 questions ask...

#1 Would you like too have access to the trails in the Big Horn area.

#2 would you like too have access to Crown lands for camping.

Both are yes and no replies, and they can date, address, and print / write signature.

Just too simple as its direct too the point.

I hope I come across large groups of OHV folks as it would be nice too speed up the project.

Those that would pitch in with this meeting folks too share the gift of gab in like minded interest will be too easy,,, and I'll get those that chip in a Tim Hortons $5 coffee card. LOL.

Pro Active strike ahead of our GOA idea incase they take a run at our area up here.

The day they come up with a plan that does not fit our needs, they will get bags full of post cards dumped on their desk.

More too follow in days forward.

Member Don of Big Horn Heritage ATV Society.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS: Those going to S&M jambories threw out the province, I'll make sure you folks get 50 too a Hundred of these post cards, blank ones can be sent back to me along with the filled out ones that can go too the next group of people.

That way we get the first cards filled out, then when the time comes we will do a 5000 card print on the next batch.

I hope that this simple idea will work with many of you folks as the PM's and texts are coming in.

Much thanks too those for jumping on this idea, lets kick the can at this so we are pro-active this year and these cards will hold there value into the 2018 year as well.

Please request the amount of cards you are able to fill out with family and friends as each card puts us closer to out mark.

The most we are expecting is 10.000 out of potential of 200.000 snowmobile and OHV folks for Alberta folks. X's by 2 with both provinces on either sides of us.

I'd be shocked if we ended up in the 6 hundred G mark.

Don

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey don, just a heads up quads are not allowed into hummingbird area until July 1. anytime before will cost ya some $$$$, just saving you some funds for post cards.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but there will be folks camping and OHV-ING in areas around that. Plan is too ride around RV's respectively too meet with folks.

Here is the front of the small post card.

The back side will have the "would you like too have random camping and OHV trails in the Big Horn.

I'll keep all up dated when the cards come in too get them sent out too you folks asap, no hurry as this idea is only being a" Pro-Active" thing that will filter threw too our GOA that we're not waiting too be behind the ball on this area.

Thanks again all as we at least try too stay ahead of the game plan.

Don BHAS

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS: I can't be every where, so this is where others come into play.

Your going riding and camping some where, this is good as many folks meet and know folks in their areas.

1 card filled out or more is how it works, left over blanks would be nice too get back so the next person or group can take a run at it in their areas.

Easy too do, and free coffee if something like this works for everyone since you'll be camping and OHV'ing Any-Who.

Just asking is all.

Don BHAS

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no problem distributing the cards. you won't see me sitting on the fence.

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
HI Don, Thx for making the drive down to the meeting. Along with Don, we had a couple of other fellas from Rocky come by to learn what is going on.
To be honest, I was disappointed more didn't showup. People, we talking about your riding future, your right of access to your public lands.
There are what...30,000members on this board and we can only get 3 guys to show up at a meeting?!
The day you come out to ride and camp and there is a closed sign...it's to late!
I think Don got an appreciation for the amount of energy going into this by AOHVA, the clubs, the dealers and a bunch of other folks.
Like most of you, they have real jobs, run businesses trying to keep a bunch of additional folks employed so they pay the mortgage and food on the table... and in their spare time plus when they should be working, they are fighting the fight for you.
Get involved people.
Ok lecture over...

Tomorrow, Saturday; the BHAS Trail crew will be inspecting McMullen's trail etc at the Bighorn Dam. If any of you Nordegg folks are around it would be great to have you join us. We will be at the dam around 11am. It would be great to meet you folks.

Cal

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cal, I'll see if my buddy is game for this, but I'll be out there too assist with what's needed.

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that my friend is joining in Cal. He's game at what ever needs doing like me.

We will have our trail tools as normal since we pack them at all times. LOL.

One never knows when we have too fend off a hungry Grizzly Bears with a shovel or chain saw.

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Pal couldn't make it on this adventure, so We head Western.

We caught the tail-end of this as we're looking for the bright side of the moon.

I'm thinking I should of signed up Kow and Donkey for the Big Horn Heritage ATV Society thing since they are family, but if they help out on trail stuff, then they get a free pass. Ha.

Bingo, blue skies on this side of our Eastern Slopes of Alberta.

Oh Yha, it doesn't get any better than this. Bring on the good times.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cabin on wheels is stocked up with trail fixing stuff, and it's a go out here, those coming out will have a blast out here helping out a little bit if they choose.

The whole area all too our selves, sight seeing, walking, camping, archery and 22 Rimfire plinking, bon-fire lunch, then a good nights sleep.

Abraham Lake needs snow run off, but the landing up top is pretty clean on main road in.

Just past Nordegg too Dam turn off at 12 ish kms.

Cal mentioned an 11am start, so roll in around 10:30am if your game for a coffee all.

Bring water, food, and shovel if you have one.
Easy workings as we scout things out for a few work overs here and later in the Onion Lake / Hummingbird areas of our Big Horn Recreation Areas.

If we help out, then we might be able to access it for years to follow.

Hope a few can join in on good times as its suppose to be nice out here towmorow.

Those of us that live the Americas know it's one season called Winntummer along the Eastern Slopes.

Sun, snow, rain, then more sun followed by a drout. Ha.

When you spot this,

And this,

Then you'll be in the right area.
Not sure who the little white guy is, but I do like where he has his hand... LOL

Furry pal Don

Top Bottom