Bighorn Backcountry

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone with information on "sugar bowl" or "onion lake" sled areas would be greatly appreciated. I have found all the SRD stuff, maps and things. Reports of snow conditions not so much. I am thinking of heading out that way Jan 6 and never been.

Thanks is advance.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is enough snow to sled out there yet I think you have to wait until late feb to ride out there usually

4roddin

Reaction score
Was up at the onion lake area a couple weeks ago and we were able to get up to the area on quads. Snow is about 2ft deep tops and the alpine part is still pretty scarce. Will be going there in a few weeks again.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ususally wait till the end of january, snow out there just seems to blow out, or just misses the area, if ya go let us know . there was a weather cam out at nordegg at one time.

Last edited:

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont waist your time, spend countless hours out there weekly working and there is nothing to get excitied about yet. maybe late jan or early feb but normally the riding is not that great out this way.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, change of plans I guess. Drop me a line if things improve, time is valuable and driving to some of the better places is just not fisable.

Rek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got back from onion lake and it was great powder for dayz and it was a great ride. i only saw one stump but it was hit by another person and tore off their a-arms but i didnt so i call that a perfect day!:sled1:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got back from onion lake and it was great powder for dayz and it was a great ride. i only saw one stump but it was hit by another person and tore off their a-arms but i didnt so i call that a perfect day!:sled1:

How much snow we talking ???

Not normal to ride there till Feb-march - April.

More to the end of march - April it seems.

from my HTC

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was just there on sat. Checking things out and riding some trails...
There was no snow at all and what snow there was has been blown away especially in the valley right before the hills. The fields and what not only had about 12 to 16 inches of snow also..

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just there on sat. Checking things out and riding some trails...
There was no snow at all and what snow there was has been blown away especially in the valley right before the hills. The fields and what not only had about 12 to 16 inches of snow also..

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

was kinda thinkin rek was blowing smoke up someones azz, unless red deer area has 2 plus feet of snow on the ground, onion lake area is sadly lacking snow until late season. and red deer has 6 to 12 inches, but your mostly hitting dirt lumps in the fields. ditches have some drifted snow but still have steel sign posts and culverts to contend with.

looks like rek was dreaming again.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, change of plans I guess. Drop me a line if things improve, time is valuable and driving to some of the better places is just not fisable.

Whitecourt/Swan Hills is about the same travel time, and much better snow conditions right now.

Top Bottom