Big Bore for '11 M8

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for some advice on whether to throw a big bore kit on my 2011 M8 162. The sled has 4700km on it, never had any issues with the engine itself, just clutching issues. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to throw a big bore on it or if it would make more sense to just put a new top end in it and run it for another couple seasons (since a new sled is out of my budget). I've heard great things about a couple kits including the speedwerx 925, bikeman 900 and the Brett linderman kit. I'm just looking for some input from people's experiences big boring the M series sled and whether or not it's worth it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only experience I've had was with an M7 900 big bore of my nephews. Bikeman I think. Thing never did run right. If it was me I'd just drop an OEM top end in it and ride it. You've already got the most reliable 800 2 stroke on the market. Why mess it up?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an RKT 925 on my PC. I had some self inflicted issues with it at first which were no fault of the kit at all. After that it was a pull and go setup all season long and made awesome power. I have a few buddies doing the same kit now after riding mine.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only experience I've had was with an M7 900 big bore of my nephews. Bikeman I think. Thing never did run right. If it was me I'd just drop an OEM top end in it and ride it. You've already got the most reliable 800 2 stroke on the market. Why mess it up?

My cousin had an 860 bikeman on his skidoo this past year, took the entire year to tune the thing and then it blew a hole in the exhaust our last ride out and melted the wiring harness and rave valves so it was a write off, the only bad story I've seen or heard with bikeman. I was originally just thinking of throwing a top end on it just because of how reliable the engine is, with regular maintenance and TLC, it hasn't skipped a beat in 4700kms! But you know how a lot of guys are, the more power the better haha!

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an RKT 925 on my PC. I had some self inflicted issues with it at first which were no fault of the kit at all. After that it was a pull and go setup all season long and made awesome power. I have a few buddies doing the same kit now after riding mine.

I also heard good things about Rk tek, but I was talking to glen from spindrift in mcbride when I was trying to order a rk clutch kit for my sled and he doesn't make them anymore! From what I heard he doesn't make anything for the M-series anymore?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he still makes a clutch kit for DD sleds. Either way the BB is the same for both M-series and PC. Same motor.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he still makes a clutch kit for DD sleds. Either way the BB is the same for both M-series and PC. Same motor.

Oh ya I guess they are the same motor, big DUH on my part. If the Rk tek kit is as good as it sounds, I definitely wouldn't mind going that way for this upcoming winter! All depends, because I'll need to get a hand on a clutch kit in order to run the BB kit, right?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my case clutching was easy. All ended up with was just some spring changes. I'm sure there's more to be had but it's strong and consistent all day long at 8300-8400. I'm also geared down a bit with smaller drivers. If I wasn't I'd probably have to add some weight to my primary. Kelsey should be able to get you pretty close with his recommendations I'm sure.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ok right on thanks, I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna sell my 12 and have a look at a linderman kit for a 14. He knows cats!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speedwerx and Linderman make a good kits. You may want to take it Deano at Mad Motorsports since you are close to him, he can probably add a few ponies for less than the cost of the BB kit and still keep the motor bone stock reliable. If you are looking for some real power, Cutlers makes a wicked 950 kit that I've ridden, pulls like a train.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speedwerx and Linderman make a good kits. You may want to take it Deano at Mad Motorsports since you are close to him, he can probably add a few ponies for less than the cost of the BB kit and still keep the motor bone stock reliable. If you are looking for some real power, Cutlers makes a wicked 950 kit that I've ridden, pulls like a train.

Oh ok, so just bolt on stuff? (Reeds, full pipe setup, bigger throttle bodies?) I already have Boyesen reeds and a can on my sled

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, so just bolt on stuff? (Reeds, full pipe setup, bigger throttle bodies?) I already have Boyesen reeds and a can on my sled

Maybe an intake air kit, reeds, TB's, full pipe set up and clutch kit. Some porting will also help. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. If you have lots of $$$ and want the most power, go BB. If you want to be around 175-180 HP and not break the bank, you can probably get most of the stuff I just listed for around $2000-2500 (if you can find a good used pipe set up you could keep the cost down).

HILCLMR

Reaction score
I have run the Bikeman on my 2010 Snopro for the last 2 years. Absolutely pull and go, so much more torque and just runs. No complaints with mine at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the 925 Lindermen in my sled last year, Jaws single with can and y pipe, tuner, timing key, Boysen reeds, some mods to the air intake...they damn thing flat out goes...pulls so hard and all the power comes on very quick!..Glen at Spindrift did the install, did a great job of it.

Top Bottom