Big Bore ATV HP/top speed specs as of 2009

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured this may help some people out as far as a few specs go in the word of big bore 4X4's. All the quads here are 2009's and some have been updated since and may have better results now. Anyways, I'm sure this thread will help answe questions and get updated as time goes on and more info is added.

All the info in this post was from ATVAction's July 2009 issue.

Polaris 850XP, Can-Am Outlander 800R, BruteForce 750 EFI, and an ArcticCat ThunderCat 1000 H2 dragged and dynoed all together and against a Raptor 700R. Looks like they are all faster than the Raptor except the Brute. Heres the specs. (All done in Hi range, except the Rapetor... That was done in 5th.)

T-Cat:..... 81.9 MPH
Outty:..... 79.3 MPH
XP:...........78.6 MPH
Raptor:.....74.6 MPH
Brute:.......68.5 MPH

Also, actual wheel HP plays a big part in this as well. Keep in mind this test was done in '09, so those of us with 2011 XP's might see better results with out the SLD and clutch upgrades.

Heres Peak HP on all the '09 Big Bore quads... In order.

Outty 800R:..... 50.59 @ 6750 RPM (Rear wheels)
Thunder Cat:.....48.78 @ 6550 RPM
Sportsman XP:...44.64 @ 7000 RPM
BruteForce:........39.87 @ 6800 RPM

--- Just a side note, Arctic Cat's H2 1000cc engine was at a claimed 82 HP but was de-tuned for production. There is serious potential in the 0.95L engine. But I'm sure Can-Am and Po-Po got somethings hiding in their engines too.

For those of you interested in Low range Heres the specs.

Outty:........ 45.4 MPH
XP:..............43.4 MPH
Brute:.........42.5 MPH
T-Cat:.........40.1 MPH

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This a good idea but inaccurate. It's not your fault it's just most the companies tune their engines down to reduce problems. The "top-speed" thong for 4x4s is also silly. Most of us use our machines for mud so they should be geared down to improve bottom end anyways. But this is still a good thread to help people buying new machines.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a stk kingquad is suppose to do about 72mph high and 28mph low. mine has only done 106kph but ive never made a run on stk tires or stk clutch .

coop45 mod #4 dose 43mph low range (also dose a 25% gear reduction) now in high range theoreticly it will do 99mph but dosent have the HP to doit . (thats only modifying 1 sheave and yellow epi spring rest of the quad was stk)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This a good idea but inaccurate. It's not your fault it's just most the companies tune their engines down to reduce problems. The "top-speed" thong for 4x4s is also silly. Most of us use our machines for mud so they should be geared down to improve bottom end anyways. But this is still a good thread to help people buying new machines.

My post even showed what AC was at before the H2 was released. There is potential in every motor for sure. And I know top speed isn't everything and I'm planning to get a gear reduction kit for my Sportsman because torque over rules top speed for my quad.

a stk kingquad is suppose to do about 72mph high and 28mph low. mine has only done 106kph but ive never made a run on stk tires or stk clutch .

coop45 mod #4 dose 43mph low range (also dose a 25% gear reduction) now in high range theoreticly it will do 99mph but dosent have the HP to doit . (thats only modifying 1 sheave and yellow epi spring rest of the quad was stk)

Thats also because this test was done at sea level. The air is more dense there. Edmonton is 3000 feet above so our quads are getting less air compaired to the ones in California. My XP topped out here only reached 88KM/H in about 10" of snow.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i saw this today on wikipedia "...While there are claims of 100+ mph stock Quadzillas, it was officially recorded by 3&4 Wheel Action magazine as reaching a top speed of over 79 mph (127 km/h) in a high speed shootout in its 1988 June issue, making it the fastest production ATV ever produced. Suzuki discontinued the production of the LT500R in 1990 after just 4 years.""

theyre talking about a LT500R, 5speed, two stroke,2x4 . i just thought it intresting that a 20 year old quad is still top 5

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River

I have, 122kph, all stock 2007 KQ. havent taken a 750 to the top end yet.

i saw this today on wikipedia "...While there are claims of 100+ mph stock Quadzillas, it was officially recorded by 3&4 Wheel Action magazine as reaching a top speed of over 79 mph (127 km/h) in a high speed shootout in its 1988 June issue, making it the fastest production ATV ever produced. Suzuki discontinued the production of the LT500R in 1990 after just 4 years.""

theyre talking about a LT500R, 5speed, two stroke,2x4 . i just thought it intresting that a 20 year old quad is still top 5

That quadracer was crazy back in the day!!!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top speed is right for the xp i hit 125km/h on it once i am sure i could have gone faster but who really needs that kind of speed out of a 4x4. And there is no reason any one needs to go 81 mp/h on a quad let alone a AC i would trust my life to it, just saying.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With todays suspension and steering geometry it makes it a little more comfortable to reach those speeds, regardless, sport quads don't even need that speed, let alone 4X4's.

How often do you see a YFZ clearing doubles at 120KM/H? Granted I did an 80 KM/H wheelie in my LT-R and YFZ. Kinda sketchy...

The speed is mostly there because of Hi range, it drops the RPM so its better on gas in the trails. I bet you though that in Low range the sheaves will go through their cycle fully, where as Hi range the sheaves won't shift completely out unless your going down hill, or have done quite a few motor mods.

Top Bottom