Big Avalanche Near Fernie today..?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the CAC website and the South Rockies Blog notes there was a big slide near Fernie.

Anyone know where or any more info?

I have just received a report of an extremely large avalanche in the Fernie area. No details yet but preliminary information indicates it ran through mature, old growth cedar–trees that are likely 200 years old–then up the other side of the valley.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just heard it on CBC radio. Short on specifics though. Natural release that ran out through old growth timber.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I just read that too. That's just insane how large that could be.

bcskier

Reaction score
I heard a 3.5 natural and heard it took out mature cedar trees and traveled up the other side of the valley. I'm thinking maybe in between the ski hill and Island Lake. I've been glassing the Lizard range, but it's kinda fogged in so can't really see anything.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was the blog I was quoting from.
There are only a couple of places that have old growth cedar around Fernie.

bcskier

Reaction score
Slide was in Cabin Bowl,just down the valley from Island Lake Lodge. Size 4 massive!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for that Jennifer.

Marley, yes you remembered well! Cabin Bowl is in Island Lake Lodge and is the last bowl before FAR. I looked up Island Lake Lodge and went to their map page to be sure.

bcskier

Reaction score

Marley, yes you remembered well! Cabin Bowl is in Island Lake Lodge and is the last bowl before FAR. I looked up Island Lake Lodge and went to their map page to be sure.

Cabin bowl is a long way from FAR. There are 4 bowls in between FAR and Cabin bowl. From the resort north: Fish Bowl,Liverwurst pass, Big Steep Mother, Orca Bowl and then Cabin. Cabin bowl is at the upper Island Lake parking lot, just before you start climbing the switchbacks below the lodge.

Island Lake uses the bottom half of Cabin and Thirst Quencher bowl (the next bowl north of cabin) I believe their land runs to the to of the ridge between Orca and Big Steep Mother, but only to a corner, they don't own the whole ridge. From there to FAR it is Crown land.

BTW I saw some pics of the avi this evening.WOW! The devastating power of nature! I am glad no one was in front of this dragon!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe how far the snow ran up those trees at the end of the video, lot of force there, can you imagine how loud all those trees snapping like tooth picks at the same time must of sounded...

Be nice to have a actual map of where this location is, we rode a fair amount behind the ski hill, at the hole in the rock we go in to a cabin and it's fairly step around there, but not sure if this is the area of this slide

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Cabin bowl is a long way from FAR. There are 4 bowls in between FAR and Cabin bowl. From the resort north: Fish Bowl,Liverwurst pass, Big Steep Mother, Orca Bowl and then Cabin. Cabin bowl is at the upper Island Lake parking lot, just before you start climbing the switchbacks below the lodge.

Island Lake uses the bottom half of Cabin and Thirst Quencher bowl (the next bowl north of cabin) I believe their land runs to the to of the ridge between Orca and Big Steep Mother, but only to a corner, they don't own the whole ridge. From there to FAR it is Crown land.

BTW I saw some pics of the avi this evening.WOW! The devastating power of nature! I am glad no one was in front of this dragon!

Thanks for the clarification and I guess I should have said the "last bowl on Island Lake Lodge property on the FAR side."

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe how far the snow ran up those trees at the end of the video, lot of force there, can you imagine how loud all those trees snapping like tooth picks at the same time must of sounded...

Be nice to have a actual map of where this location is, we rode a fair amount behind the ski hill, at the hole in the rock we go in to a cabin and it's fairly step around there, but not sure if this is the area of this slide

Fred, your area in Little Sands is on the other side of the ridge. On the Island Lake Lodge rides (FSA members only on a special day set by ILL), we used to ride through the upper part of Cabin and drop down into the back of the ski hill. We would then venture to climb to the top of Polaris peak. That would be accessed from the very top end of the Little Sands area. Since the new lift was installed at FAR, the area is out of bounds on the ILL ride.

It is going to be sketchy out there and we are going to have to use our brains more than ever.........ride safe and do some assessment.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hard are to forget that one after we went down too far and could not climb back out! Missed the hot tub and cocktail hour that year.... We ended up working our way down Cedar Valley to a point we got pinched between the creek and a rock face. Creek was 6' down below snow level so we had to dig a slope in and out of the creek bed to get across. We had radios but none of our group responded - too busy hot tubbin and cocktail ing..!

toddsphotos

Reaction score
02_19_14_Cabin_Bowl_008.jpg

Top Bottom