Better book your rooms now for winter 2018

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly it's too late in my opinion. Anything that's left has over doubled in price over the last 2 years just based on the speculation. So if you purchase now you will come out ahead if the resort goes ahead but if it doesn't your stuck with a chunk of land you paid double for. It's a gamble right now!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly it's too late in my opinion. Anything that's left has over doubled in price over the last 2 years just based on the speculation. So if you purchase now you will come out ahead if the resort goes ahead but if it doesn't your stuck with a chunk of land you paid double for. It's a gamble right now!

Agree! I know people that bought property last summer based on this ski hill, I warned them it really is a gamble.
I can think of several examples of wheee quiet towns had nothing going for it then a major project claims their coming to town and suddenly the money runs out.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree! I know people that bought property last summer based on this ski hill, I warned them it really is a gamble.
I can think of several examples of wheee quiet towns had nothing going for it then a major project claims their coming to town and suddenly the money runs out.

exactly. you could have made money had you purchased a bunch of land 5-10 years ago and flipped it today. other than that until lift towers go in its a gamble. even when shovels hit the ground its not the first time stuff has started happening on a project and then all of the sudden the roads are blocked and equipment is demobilizing. i am optimistic but realistic. seen so many of these projects pass through town. this one does look the most promising so far though

SnowDog

Reaction score
I would wait until the village gets built at the base of the mountain, than buy one of those units, which will no doubt be condos, makes for a good rental property, will not be cheap to buy, but if truly is a year round resort, will be a good investment, just not sure if one would be able to get a four place trailer up there...lol

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would wait until the village gets built at the base of the mountain, than buy one of those units, which will no doubt be condos, makes for a good rental property, will not be cheap to buy, but if truly is a year round resort, will be a good investment, just not sure if one would be able to get a four place trailer up there...lol

Most people who buy these as income properties lose money. Strata fees are high, and most resorts operate at 25-50% except for Christmas.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where , if you are talking around radium I agree .... I have seen better / more complete resorts in Mexico .
That unfinished locked up condo monstrosity is as bad as it gets ....
Have to pay people to live around there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the base is near our house. the ski girls can jump right into my hot tub after!

we have been following this thing for some time and have seen so many projects come and go through valemount i am still a little skeptical. I hope it works out but until i see lift towers going in im not going to get my hopes up. Its a huge investment into something so far away from any major center i just dont see where the crowds will come from. the odd charter flight into the airport of Europeans wont keep the doors open. asside from it being so far from a major center.....it pretty much has everything else going for it. Good airport with plenty of expansion room right at the base, existing infrastructure and roadways, no major roads need to be built, there is no opposition, the terrain is endless, and the snow is great.

the one thing that keeps me positive is that they have done a TON of planning/surveying/brushing etc and are being very public about it all.

your right, i was more comparing to successful resorts like whistler which have the entire lower mainland to draw from

Everything has to start with something somewhere. While you may not consider Revelstoke Mountain Resort successful, prior to 2007 the town did have a different feel to it. I had only been there a few times from 2000-2006 but I could tell there was a difference after the resort opened. Towns which receive large investments by these groups encourage other developers to review the possibility of future expansion. Many of the investments can take years, sometimes decades to work through and find approval. With resort approvals, other infrastructure like additional accommodation and supporting establishments, food, beverage and so on will eventually start to move in. As you mentioned, people will need to access the area and while driving from Edmonton may currently be mind numbing, and air travel limited, Revelstoke after a long period and some airport development now has seasonal scheduled service from Vancouver. What Revelstoke was missing was year around attractions that can provide sustainability and business guarantees which helps maintain a level of tourism not only in winter months, and so then theme parks get announced.

- this is more than likely guaranteed to change Revy's economic development which doesn't exactly appeal to me but interesting nonetheless.

So even though the window may be small, and the initial development seem insignificant there is a good chance 10 years from now you could be looking back and thinking how drastic things have changed.

Top Bottom