Best used 4x4 quad

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Raptor 700 and a WR 450 but I am getting older and am thinking of getting rid of the Raptor and buying a used 4x4 a friend of mine bought an Outlander 1000 nice quad but to much $$$ for me would like to keep the cost around $10,000. I am thinking a Grizz 700 or a Can Am 800 possibly a Brute force 750 any thoughts from owners of same. I heard there were issues with frames cracking on the older Can ams so what years is this a problem on.
thanks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 1000. I just did the same thing as you and sold my yfz 450, and still have the dirtbike. I have seen the odd outlander 1000 for that 10500 mark on kijiji.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2010 800 max Ltd in silver with only 1000 Kms if interested around your price range.
Not snorkeled or screwed with just stock machine.
Just the normal wear and tear as far as plastic being scratched .
Full skid plates . Power steering , air ride

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I would suggest to stay away from a used Polaris 850. We had one for just about a year. Stock, we take very good care of our machines, regular maintenance, pretty easy miles, but long miles. Hubby loved the ride and handling but HATED that it was falling apart so quickly., don' t remember the specifics but too many in such a short time of ownership. He got rid of it in a hurry and went back to a 700 grizz.(his 4th or 5th,lol). Anyway he gave that to our son and we both now have outlanders, his the 800 mine the 650. time will tell if they hold up to a Yamaha or Honda. A friend of our also had the 850 first year they came out , he did very little maintenance to it , rides the same as us, and he could not afford to spend time and money to fix it, he lost big when he got rid of it. Another buddy also has one and same story, more things going wrong when they should not in a short amount of time. That is my first hand experience with the poo-poo.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea my wife has a 09 Polaris Scrambler 500 same deal when it is working it work great but it brakes down all the time always something and I maintain it regular would not buy another Polaris they are only good for a couple of years before they are worn out. Will likely get a Can-Am or Yamaha.We ride in the mountains often not easy on a machine but my raptor which is 2 years older and goes on the same trails as the Scrambler has never required any thing more than regular maintenance and the Grizz has the same basic motor so I am sure it would be reliable but performance wise the Ca-Am's are more impressive. Might come down to the deal I can find

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey yea might be interested but I am in Edmonton

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Raptor 700 and a WR 450 but I am getting older and am thinking of getting rid of the Raptor and buying a used 4x4 a friend of mine bought an Outlander 1000 nice quad but to much $$$ for me would like to keep the cost around $10,000. I am thinking a Grizz 700 or a Can Am 800 possibly a Brute force 750 any thoughts from owners of same. I heard there were issues with frames cracking on the older Can ams so what years is this a problem on.
thanks

I love the Grizzly...

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would go Griz, Canned ham, or Poo in no particular order. As long as they all have EPS, I wouldn't bat an eye

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 08 Cat 700 H1, and the thing was a lemon. So it has left a bad taste in my mouth

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I had a 08 Cat 700 H1, and the thing was a lemon. So it has left a bad taste in my mouth

For all the miles that we do on the trails, we have encountered maybe a handful of Arctic Cat ATV's since we started serious quadding in 2004. Now that is roughly 1500 kms a year x 10 years, tells you something doesn't it. Most brands we see are the Yamaha's, Can-Ams, Honda's and Polaris. We are trying the can-ams for the first time ever, time will tell. Great smooth power, but you have to ride in Low gear a lot more than say the grizz because of the belts, not as forgiving as the yamaha's. Which is a bit of a pain, always having to stop and shift when getting to a stinky spot and then out.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went from a Raptor 700 last year to a Renegade 800xxc love it don't miss the raptor at all and its a good mix between utility and sport

Sent from my S4

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For all the miles that we do on the trails, we have encountered maybe a handful of Arctic Cat ATV's since we started serious quadding in 2004. Now that is roughly 1500 kms a year x 10 years, tells you something doesn't it. Most brands we see are the Yamaha's, Can-Ams, Honda's and Polaris. We are trying the can-ams for the first time ever, time will tell. Great smooth power, but you have to ride in Low gear a lot more than say the grizz because of the belts, not as forgiving as the yamaha's. Which is a bit of a pain, always having to stop and shift when getting to a stinky spot and then out.
Yup...... this post holds a lot of water about the Cats. Put a Dalton clutch kit in your can-ams, and you won't be in and out of Hi/Low as much. You can pretty much leave it in Hi, until you need grunt power.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have been riding can-am since February of 2007... and have put 14,500k on two machines in 6 yrs, 7 months... current machine has 8000 hard hard k on it.. this thing about the frame...depends on how the driver drives his machine... what do i mean by that? all metal is the same.. and frames are constructed fairly safe by all manufacturers... stuff some real power behing a machine and have a heavy throttle with mininium experience and...yes.. they will break.... and when you are willing to take breaks as a part of hard riding.. then you just get it tig welded up and its stronger than it was before... so just to give you a bit of my experience with can-am.. i would also have a hard look at the Polaris 850 scrambler if your a performance minded person.. the only other bike that you could have a look at is the Kawi Brute Force... cheaper.. and gets you from A to B and quite fast to boot but is not in the same league as the can-am is... yeah other than that all others make a good trail machine but depends what you want in a machine.. granny bike or real mans bike! lmao j/k j/k.. don't get mad! lol...im happy! going ridin tomorrow! nice day, it will be! hehe

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trashy, speaks some truth there. with a clutch kit you can stay out of low more than stock but what works even better is a primary clutch like the cvtech or qsc... i hardly drive in low unless im creeping along.. riding in low will decrease your cvt temperature by 20 degrees.. but only at crawling speed... what relly helps here is the stm roller secondary.. keeps your bike in perfect shiftup or shift down rpm and its faster shift then stock.. that really helps too, so doing both clutchs would be the idea way to go.............i think Dave has a qsc primary.. not sure if he has the secondary thou?

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a few for test ride. Pick the one the you like

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as arff says ride a few see what you like. who you ride with and how they ride will set your preference. otherwise what is the best used quad may be the stupidest question on the site.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trashy, speaks some truth there. with a clutch kit you can stay out of low more than stock but what works even better is a primary clutch like the cvtech or qsc... i hardly drive in low unless im creeping along.. riding in low will decrease your cvt temperature by 20 degrees.. but only at crawling speed... what relly helps here is the stm roller secondary.. keeps your bike in perfect shiftup or shift down rpm and its faster shift then stock.. that really helps too, so doing both clutchs would be the idea way to go.............i think Dave has a qsc primary.. not sure if he has the secondary thou?
I had the STM secondary on my 07 can Am and now on the 12 with a QSC primary. The aftermarket clutches are nice, but not a necessity.

As to the original question: the best used 4x4 quad is also the best new 4x4 quad...there is nothing else once you ride a Can Am.

Last edited:
Top Bottom