Best tire repair product when on the trail???

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had a flat before in my life and then got 2 this weekend, 1 on each machine. Luckily both within a mile of the truck.
What's the best product to take with you on the trail, just in case?
Thanks

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had a flat before in my life and then got 2 this weekend, 1 on each machine. Luckily both within a mile of the truck.
What's the best product to take with you on the trail, just in case?
Thanks

A package of tubeless tire plugs with the glue, reaming tool and plug installing tool. You can usually plug smaller gashes with several plugs.

Also good idea to pack an extra valve stem. Choose a valve stem that can be installed from the outside of the wheel as getting the tire off the rim while in the field is near impossible with most wheels.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
A mini air compressor or a CO2 powered repair kit there is also tire slime never used it though. also heard of people taking silicon in the squeeze tube it helps getting the bead back on the rim if it pops off
here is a link bottom left to the CO2 it's compact and works pretty slick

Ok I can't the actual page to come so typ in page 237

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A package of tubeless tire plugs with the glue, reaming tool and plug installing tool. You can usually plug smaller gashes with several plugs.
I carry those as well, along with a small 12v air pump and a regular tube patch kit, the tube patch kit gets used mostly for repairing the "swamp panties" (chest waders, just learned that term :D)

I've been told that the tire foam repair stuff makes a hell of a mess inside the tire and is tough to clean out after using it. also doesn't hurt to carry a small hatchet or hammer to "massage" steel or aluminum (not cast) rims back into shape to hold air after hitting a rock or stump on the rim edge.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I carry those as well, along with a small 12v air pump and a regular tube patch kit, the tube patch kit gets used mostly for repairing the "swamp panties" (chest waders, just learned that term :D)

I've been told that the tire foam repair stuff makes a hell of a mess inside the tire and is tough to clean out after using it. also doesn't hurt to carry a small hatchet or hammer to "massage" steel or aluminum (not cast) rims back into shape to hold air after hitting a rock or stump on the rim edge.

ADJUSTABLE PLIERS OR ADJUSTABLE WRENCH WORKS GOOD FOR "CAREFULLY" BENDING THE RIM EDGES BACK.... DONE LOTS!!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ever Try To Straighten A Bent/curb Damaged $5300.00 Momo Rim Off A Porsche??? Cost The Fellow $500.00 And Had To Get The Rim Repaired/refinished At The Rim Shop In The City...... Cheaper Than $5300.00!!!

PowderMafia

Reaction score
Website
www.lubedealer.com
Go to Walmart pick up a slime tire repair kit it comes with a 12v pump and 1 bottle of slime (I think $25 or $30)I suggest to pick up another bottle just for a back up.Tire slime is made from fibre's so when you get home you can remove the tire from the rim and wash out slime with soap and water them you can fix the tire.The kit is cheap enough that I have one in my truck as well.the kit is in a small compact pouch easy to carry.KNOCK on DIRT I haven't had to use it yet,but at least I have it when needed.
My friend who worked in IRAQ for the army made sure that all the vechiles that went out in the field had slime in the tires first because it prevented a lot of flats in places you didn't want to have a flat tire.
Just my Opinion.

twinpeaks3

Reaction score
All good stuff to carry but also a couple feet of haywire, needlenose, and a nail sharpend on the grinder. If you get a sidewall slice in the tire sew the gash closed enough so you can fill the hole with plugs. Put a plug in the hole where the wire goes threw the tire to.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I carry a c02 kit with about 6 refills, lotsa plugs and extra glue. once was I was in Cadomin I snagged a rock with a front sidewall, put a hole in it the size of my thumb. I took a bungie strap, took the hook off, cut the end off and shoved the big end into the hole with lotsa glue using a pair of pliers. I then hit it with about 2 lbs of c02 and let it set up for about an hour then put another 2 lbs in it and rode out of the bush for 50 km. It still had air in when I got back to camp.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, What is the freeze point of the tire slime. Because it gets cold out there on winter trips and that might not work so well

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We carry a patch kit and a plug kit. We also have with us a 12V compressor and a can of Fixaflat. I have broken beeds by driving over them with another quad before, mind you I have never done it on the trail. It was at my place on pavement.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
If you blow a bead on the trail and can't get it back on, use a tie down or rachet strap, rap it around the tire, suck it up tight and fill the tire works good. Usally someone in our group also carry's a can of starting fluid with them. A quick shot of either and throw a match at it and wala, instant inflation.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you blow a bead on the trail and can't get it back on, use a tie down or rachet strap, rap it around the tire, suck it up tight and fill the tire works good. Usally someone in our group also carry's a can of starting fluid with them. A quick shot of either and throw a match at it and wala, instant inflation.

Both those methoods work. Just be very careful with the starter fluid and I wouldn't suggest it unless you know what your doing.

Landrew

Reaction score
Slime does have antifreeze in it but I dont think it goes below the -20 mark to well.

VintageDOO

Reaction score
While on the Hylo rally we poured a little gas inside the tire to get the bead back on, not my first choice but it worked. We had tried the ratchet strap with about 4 sets of hands and we didn't get any where. I now carry a can of ether along with 12v comp, tire repair kit.....

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When me and the misses head out we pack hers with food and bev mine on the other hand plug kit aircompressor sockets ratch strap ( put a tire back on the bead ) extra oil extra antifreeze hammer to fix rims if need be its not that we break down all the time i see to many qudders show up with nothing and i would try to fix the problem then have to pull them out of the bush with the garage in my box i had to put bigger springs on lol all in a days of quadding

easyrider

Reaction score

Also good idea to pack an extra valve stem. Choose a valve stem that can be installed from the outside of the wheel as getting the tire off the rim while in the field is near impossible with most wheels.

Ok, I give up. Where do you find these valve stems that can be installed from the outside? Tire shops around my neck of the woods have never heard of these. :dunno:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I give up. Where do you find these valve stems that can be installed from the outside? Tire shops around my neck of the woods have never heard of these. :dunno:

Most tire stems have a metal washer attached to the base; this type cannot be installed from the outside.

Some stems are constructed with a rubber ball on the base; this type can be forced in from the outside of the wheel. A little oil off the dip stick will help.

easyrider

Reaction score
Most tire stems have a metal washer attached to the base; this type cannot be installed from the outside.

Some stems are constructed with a rubber ball on the base; this type can be forced in from the outside of the wheel. A little oil off the dip stick will help.

Thanks, Garry. Will be sure to get a couple as I sheared one off this past weekend. Cut my day in half :crying3:

Top Bottom