Best skeg tire?

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Itp mudlights for general skeg on the trail, but mudbugs or silverbacks for aggressive skeg riding.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another vote for mudbugs. awsome tires they give a bit of vibration on high speed gravel or asphault roads and do lack a bit on side hill traction as muffinman said but as for mud and skeg; of the few types of tire i have tried they are the best.
Having said that i have never used any of the really aggressive tires before mud bitches zillias outlaws...tires of that nature. honestly my quads have always been to small in cc's to benifit from thoses big tires

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill break it down into 2 easy category's for you

AT Tire choice : mudbugs and id stay 26" or under in that department for the larger tread bar it seems to bite better than the 27+ mudbugs.

swamp lites are garbage in skeg not sure why people even are recommending them and yes i owned them in the past.

mud lites compared to mud bugs are way inferior is basically every way tbh.

or

Big mud tire : only skeg choice for Canadians really is Outlaw.

Everything else digs far to much . mudzillas / mudbitches/ Silverbacks.
while great in mud riding man those tires just cant hold a candle to outlaws in the skeg they just plain bite and break the skeg top layers up to much.

Its all about a big foot print guys and as flat a tread bar as you can get or none at all. if your tires are shaped in a V they dig hard in skeg dig = bad you want a flat tread bar that will push you forward with the least digging.

my 2c and tbh i fking hate muskeg i hate hate hate it but i have rode 100s of hours on it growing up lol. my fav solution is to go around muskeg if i can and guys if you see a 10foot long open hole. give it up your not gonna make it "just like the last 50 guys that caused it to be a 10 foot long hole" you will just drive in float get high centered and cause everyone to have to come pull your ass out.

rsw84

Reaction score
My old xtr's worked very well, nice and wide with a good tread, I'm hopeing my new zillas work just as good or better.
I have a buddy that went from swamp lites to xtr's and said it was like night and day, the swamplites just dug holes in the skeg.

xtr has to be the best all around, radial , wide and light.. who lives in the skeg all summer? .,....and yur gonna get stuck regardless so think about where your going to be riding most and base your decision on that

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill break it down into 2 easy category's for you

AT Tire choice : mudbugs and id stay 26" or under in that department for the larger tread bar it seems to bite better than the 27+ mudbugs.

swamp lites are garbage in skeg not sure why people even are recommending them and yes i owned them in the past.

mud lites compared to mud bugs are way inferior is basically every way tbh.

or

Big mud tire : only skeg choice for Canadians really is Outlaw.

Everything else digs far to much . mudzillas / mudbitches/ Silverbacks.
while great in mud riding man those tires just cant hold a candle to outlaws in the skeg they just plain bite and break the skeg top layers up to much.

Its all about a big foot print guys and as flat a tread bar as you can get or none at all. if your tires are shaped in a V they dig hard in skeg dig = bad you want a flat tread bar that will push you forward with the least digging.

my 2c and tbh i fking hate muskeg i hate hate hate it but i have rode 100s of hours on it growing up lol. my fav solution is to go around muskeg if i can and guys if you see a 10foot long open hole. give it up your not gonna make it "just like the last 50 guys that caused it to be a 10 foot long hole" you will just drive in float get high centered and cause everyone to have to come pull your ass out.
are you saying mudlites are inferior to mudbugs?

Last edited:

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope not cause they don't. Like posted Buddy had Lites and I had bugs, he couldn't follow me and I could push him out when stuck and go through where he was stuck. The Bugs are like a less aggressive Law.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or tried the Black Mombas in skeg? They are more likely to heavy and aggressive

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
xtr has to be the best all around, radial , wide and light.. who lives in the skeg all summer? .,....and yur gonna get stuck regardless so think about where your going to be riding most and base your decision on that

u think ur xtyr's r light, i figure not. a 27' mudbug is lighter than a 26' radial, and a 27' zilla is lighter than a 27' mudbug.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you saying mudlites are inferior to mudbugs?

yea if you had used both you would say the same thing.

Ive seen it time and time again with my own 2 eyes.

Ive seen lites plug solid and form into a big mud ball and the guys stuck ,while the bugs shed the mud cleanly and kept on going without any problems eventually pulling out the mud lite bike.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u think ur xtyr's r light, i figure not. a 27' mudbug is lighter than a 26' radial, and a 27' zilla is lighter than a 27' mudbug.

Just thought I'd throw some numbers up:
Mudlite XTR: 6 ply
27x11x12- 34.6

Maxxis Zilla: 6 ply
27x11x12- 24.3

Maxxis Mud Bug: 6 ply
27x12x12- 28.3

Maxxis Mud Bug Radial: 6 ply
26x11x12- 24.3 (seems to be the biggest in this tire)

Ryan14

Reaction score
mud lites are junk. had zillas pretty good. have silverbacks now they do good but prob the outlaw the best

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don`t know what tires are THE BEST , suffice to say though that pluglites are about the worst......

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That`s true, i think it is pretty funny that xtr`s are the number one over all tire.....
They are number one all right , at making the dealer the most markup $ .ITP does not make any tire better than a comparable maxxis ...imho.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That`s true, i think it is pretty funny that xtr`s are the number one over all tire.....
They are number one all right , at making the dealer the most markup $ .ITP does not make any tire better than a comparable maxxis ...imho.

I hope your right, I went from a 26" xtr to a 30" zilla only because the xtr's only go up to 27", otherwise I'd have stayed with them.
I'm not brand loyal in atv's utv's or tires, I'll go with whatever works and the xtr's were a very good choice for the rzr for the riding we do in our area.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlaws are the best skeg tire by far. I have tried every tire mentioned besides silverbacks but ride with some guys with them. I prefer the outlaw just seems to paddle instead of dig but they would be my secound choice. Mud bugs were a great tire in there time but I think zillas were much better. The xtrs and swamp lites were just junk in the skeg. Mudzilla and mudbitches are to heavy.
Buy yourself some outlaws and you will not regret it come the first skeg section you find.

Top Bottom