Best place to source merino wool base layers

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m looking to upgrade my base layers.

What site is best to get 100% merino wool base layers?

I currently run klim stuff but it’s a blend and I’m told the ‘pure’ merino is the bees knees

Thanks,

Gavin

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dislike supporting the granola movement but if I have to guess it’s the only way lol

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guides and serious mountain folk use minimal sled branded gear… there are much better products out there and sometimes better prices to be had without a Klim,509,Tobe tag on them… arc’teryx is pretty popular outer gear I see more and more these days.

I have some icebreaker stuff I use daily and some smartwool stuff too

Silk dress socks under your insulating wool sock will change your tune alone lol it did for me

DUS

Reaction score
I just ordered some Helly Hansen base layers to try. I think it might have an inner layer and an outer merino wool layer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but MEC has their in house branded merino. Usually a bit less than a name brand. Marks, even Costco has had Merino at times.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but MEC has their in house branded merino. Usually a bit less than a name brand. Marks, even Costco has had Merino at times.
Didn't they go out of business? Or was it just the one store?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter worked pipeline last year and had 2 pairs of Alpaca socks that she absolutely loved, but she is cold blooded...wore regular cotton socks then alpaca over them
I also run cold, I thought cotton is a no no though?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also run cold, I thought cotton is a no no though?
I know it is not supposed to be good but I always feel most comfortable with a cotton T-shirt as a base layer compared to anything else as it seems to breathe the best It's definately not for guys that sweat much though.

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im always cold... With my old Klim gear I was warm in just Drywear layer against skin top/bottom, klim 2.0 shirt, drywear insulated pants...

Went to FXR suit and FROZE.... should have listened but the deal was cheap....

So this season I'm trying a TOBE one piece and I got the Klim Override alloy pants and jacket...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best glove liners I use are Possum fur from New Zealand. Had friends living there for a while and they brought me a pair once. Was very impressed by the warmth and comfort. Ever since, if I know someone is going I ask them to bring me more. Lol

"possum fibre is 50% warmer than merino wool and 35% warmer than cashmere"

Top Bottom