Best gps

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the search function but nothing coming up. What would be the best gps for sledding, one that is fairly easy to use as my temper sets off pretty easy with technology lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Garmin Montana touch screen one that Doo sells for the XM's and Gen 4's is pretty sweet. Very easy to operate for us older tech lacking guys and has made a lot of bad looking days on Boulder into great days. Pricey but worth it. Better than sitting at the cabin all day after driving 7 hours one way.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all pale in comparison to the free Gaia GPS app on your smartphone.

Reactions: RGM

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends what you want.
I have the Giai app. Works good.
I perfer the earth mate app paired with my inreach.

But Google maps will also work on your smart phone in areas of no service. It doesn't show tracks but it shows your location.

Or look for young fella that wants to ride and has all that tech savvy stuff. Let him work all that.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one you can actually operate and know the functions . Lol
They all work the same to some degree with lots of different options is all .

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory Maps on a phone, always locks on even in a 737. Trouble is you may need some one it install it for you. Lots of different maps available including NOAA charts, satellite links. They have been around for a long time. Even my laptop has it and gives my position anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smartphone with Gaia or GPSKit app. Hands down. From a professional. Threw away the Garmin years ago. Use it every day for work in the bush in Forest Industry. Don’t waste money on garmin. Just get extra power pack to charge battery.

No kidding, don't waste your money on a gps. I still take along a gps the odd time when i want a route to sync with google earth and the pictures placed on the map where they are taken. Never ever take it out to look at it though. Everyone is huddled around my 8 inch tablet

DUS

Reaction score
I’ve been kind of looking at a Garmin GPSMAP 66i.
It now has an SOS function and messaging as well like an InReach if you do an annual subscription. Seams like a better option than an InReach at first glance??
Not cheap though.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/623975

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Garmin Rino 650 on a RAM mount on my handlebars to see it while riding. With the backcountry maps it works well. I use the Maps 3D app on my phone which is great 3D but sucks to pull my phone out all the time thus the Rino. Rino also let's me find my buddies with their Rinos.

dwight3566

Reaction score
How do you guys with the apps on your phone keep the battery charged? My iphone does not work in cold weather? mine goes from full charge to like 5% in anything under -5. My Garmin wired into the Cat fires up and is charging and tracking as soon as i fire up the sled!!!

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you guys with the apps on your phone keep the battery charged? My iphone does not work in cold weather? mine goes from full charge to like 5% in anything under -5. My Garmin wired into the Cat fires up and is charging and tracking as soon as i fire up the sled!!!
I keep my phone in a warm pocket and never have any issues with the cold.

Top Bottom