Best GPS APP for Iphone w/ altitude

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
For the record everyone reading this.. Buy a GPS and don't have your phone turned on while you are sledding.

Last edited:

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys have your phones turned on while sledding???

When you get home tonight turn your beacon on... or even better turn it on to search and run your cell phone under it and watch what happens!
I tried this several times over the Christmas break with two different beacons and had no issues at all? I do not carry my phone and I have a separate Garmin I carry.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the record everyone reading this.. Buy a GPS and don't have your phone on while you are sledding.

I can understand not having your phone on you ie. in your jacket or backpack as it may cause interference. But leaving it in the glovebox of the sled recording GPS tracks I can't see that causing interference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I can understand not having your phone on you ie. in your jacket or backpack as it may cause interference. But leaving it in the glovebox of the sled recording GPS tracks I can't see that causing interference?

If you want to roll the dice like that I guess... Plenty of times people have been recovered buried UNDER their snowmobiles. Not intentionally bashing this post... But why go through all the trouble of wearing a beacon... If you are going to carry around a device that can possibly render it useless.... We have tried it may times and trust me it will mess a beacon signal right up. Granted im no avalanche expert by any means but I know for a FACT that is not a good idea. Anyways.. Just my two cents!

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to roll the dice like that I guess... Plenty of times people have been recovered buried UNDER their snowmobiles. Not intentionally bashing this post... But why go through all the trouble of wearing a beacon... If you are going to carry around a device that can possibly render it useless.... We have tried it may times and trust me it will mess a beacon signal right up. Granted im no avalanche expert by any means but I know for a FACT that is not a good idea. Anyways.. Just my two cents!
Were they in airplane mode?

Lots of people are not aware that the GPS is still active in airplane mode, just all transmit functions are disabled.

I have witnessed interference too, but is was a buddy once who thought he had his cell phone in airplane mode but wasn't.

toyman2k

Reaction score
Website
www.heisertoyota.com
So when I leave the parking lot I always put my phone in "airplane mode" and then use my GPS functions. QUESTION: does this still goof with the beacon transmitting correctly?

Going to buy a Rino655 or 650 for dedicated GPS soon.

fire66

Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert in the field but my understanding is that all electronics have the potential to interfere with a beacon in search mode, this includes phones, gps, portable radios, etc. It seems that most experts are recommending that all electronics be located about 2' from your beacon.
Here is a link to a study that was done it is interesting reading.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory Maps comes with 3D topo maps as well, they have had that feature for 20 years or so. It is available for iPhone or android.

skierh2o

Reaction score
Memory Map on iphone this year and it is working fantastic!
mounted a case on the gen4 dash area, running with it always plugged in from ski-doo's USB power supply accessory, and it works great all day even in the -25C weather we had!
yes it runs in airplane mode, has no sim card installed, downloaded and installed app and map areas via WiFi and I don't see myself going back to anything else anytime soon!
Tracking overlay on downloaded maps works GREAT!
Previously used a rino 655 that is now sitting powered off in my avy pack as a back-up!

I was unsure if any effort was worth the time using a mobile device......(but if you have a spare phone kicking around that your not afraid of possibly losing or damaging)... but after 5 days use in the backcountry I am VERY glad I did!

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Memory Map on iphone this year and it is working fantastic!
mounted a case on the gen4 dash area, running with it always plugged in from ski-doo's USB power supply accessory, and it works great all day even in the -25C weather we had!
yes it runs in airplane mode, has no sim card installed, downloaded and installed app and map areas via WiFi and I don't see myself going back to anything else anytime soon!
Tracking overlay on downloaded maps works GREAT!
Previously used a rino 655 that is now sitting powered off in my avy pack as a back-up!

I was unsure if any effort was worth the time using a mobile device......(but if you have a spare phone kicking around that your not afraid of possibly losing or damaging)... but after 5 days use in the backcountry I am VERY glad I did!

Do you have a pic of how you mounted the phone ?

Thanks

skierh2o

Reaction score
Will be out later this week and grab a pic for you.

I used an Armor x case mounted to the dash, I found this vibrated a bit and I didn't trust the play in the mount.
so I wrapped about 5 loops of para-cord behind the case and around the mount area which does 3 things for me
1. tightened and eliminated all the play in the mount
2. absorbed ALL vibration from the sled when idling/running!! amazing actually...haven't been able to do this with previous units and mounting systems!
3. gave me a few more feet of paracord for one of those eventual bad Macgyver days off trail.

Really super happy with this set up!
It looks factory, exceeded expectations in function and ease of use, and I'm not really out of pocket for a new experiment and additional equipment this time around! its a win win win!
I've tried/used A LOT of different GPS units and systems in vehicle, aircraft, and off-road use and hands down this is one of the best options I've used to date. (not to say someone wont have a better system)
As mentioned I was skeptical, but after using it I am willing to recommend it here on a public forum!
It works, is cost effective and can help a lot of individuals out in finding there way back to a track, reference point, or home!
I see it as cheap insurance and some peace of mind everyone should have access to.

Ryan

Top Bottom