Best beacon?

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new beacon this year mine is a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade ,my question is what are you using and how do you like it? I'm looking for a user friendly high quality beacon thanks for your input

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know what's new, but I have a DTS tracker. It's a few years old now, but for ease of use I find it works very well. Havnt had to actually use It in an emergency situation yet either though... But just searching at the quartz cabin and practicing with friends I feel confident that I would be able to locate someone relatively easy.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new beacon this year mine is a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade ,my question is what are you using and how do you like it? I'm looking for a user friendly high quality beacon thanks for your input

If your friends are in the running for one as well...I really like my mammut. Very user friendly and has the heartbeat option as well. If a multiple burial no point in digging if no heartbeat present. Move on to a heartbeat. My 2 cents

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also really like my mammut it's very easy to use and works well! Just did ast1 with the wife and they like those and pieps. Go to a dealer and try some and find which one that works for you as well. That's what we did and found the mammut was a little bit easier than the pieps.

ralpher

Reaction score
i bought the pieps dsp because it is easy to use
almost got the mammut one but no one i ride with has one and a bit more $$
cant go wrong with either

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A quick google search will show that the Ortovox S1+ is the highest rated and easiest to use...for news anyway. Gt mine last week

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A quick google search will show that the Ortovox S1+ is the highest rated and easiest to use...for news anyway. Gt mine last week

Had 2 of these. One failed to go into search mode during a test. Find the mammut just as easy to use.

I liked these beacons until the failure though

• Recommends
Reactions: CRF

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 tracker 2's and a pieps dsp. very happy with both and looking currently looking at the pieps dsp pro. What ever you choose, get use to it and learn it well, and as far as a beacon that picks up a pulse, I would have a hard time just flagging and carrying on if it detected no pulse. just saying.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best one is the one you know how to use, I have always used pieps and really like them and the ease of use but regardless what you buy digital is the way to go,multiple burial is also a good thing to have . Practise lots with whatever you have,too many people just assume they know how to use em,

trailblazer

Reaction score
Mammut will receive a signal from the farthest distance,50m,mine has picked one up at 52 during practice. User friendly, multiple burial option,good large viewing screen that doesn't fade in sunlight, loud.Some other beacons won't interface with certain brands but Mammut has the widest frequency and has no delays regardless of the brand.There's a reason most guides,hell ski, cat ski outfits use them.

At the CAA workshop last year,they had the evidence in scientific graphs and studies showing the facts that the Mammut Pulse was the best option, although they certainty didn't push or recommend it,but I do.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used the Tracker DTS before, but just bought 2 Tracker 2's at the sled show this year. Easy to use IMO. Went out with a friend last weekend and did some beacon practices, the Tracker 2 did very well, my friend was using his Ortovox S1 (he swears by it) but it failed to even find my beacon when he switched to search mode. I was standing 3 feet from him, so not sure what was happening there. Just my opinion.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group asked Lori from zacs tracs what she thought was best. Her answer was any beacon. They are only as good as the person that holds them. She used an old sos and found a person faster than someone with a fairly new one. My group has the mammut

ralpher

Reaction score
Mammut will receive a signal from the farthest distance,50m,mine has picked one up at 52 during practice. User friendly, multiple burial option,good large viewing screen that doesn't fade in sunlight, loud.Some other beacons won't interface with certain brands but Mammut has the widest frequency and has no delays regardless of the brand.There's a reason most guides,hell ski, cat ski outfits use them.

At the CAA workshop last year,they had the evidence in scientific graphs and studies showing the facts that the Mammut Pulse was the best option, although they certainty didn't push or recommend it,but I do.

the pieps dsp will also go to 50 m
and the new dsp pro will go to 60 m

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group asked Lori from zacs tracs what she thought was best. Her answer was any beacon. They are only as good as the person that holds them. She used an old sos and found a person faster than someone with a fairly new one. My group has the mammut

I asked Lori what beacon she would want to find her if she was buried and she said her husband cause it's trained to find her first before any other one, I ride with my wife and liked that feature on there beacons. She has the Barryvox pulse beacon. But she said a close second would be the Barryvox (Mammut) element because it's easy to use and has one of the longest rages. That's the beacon I have and really like it.

Top Bottom