Best bang for buck

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 2010 Assault 146". Havent modified anything on it yet. just a tunnel bag and a gas can rack.

Im at the point that I want to start making some modifications to it, all I really come up with is people whining about the motor popping on them, never anything useful.

What should I spend money on for the best bang for buck on this sled to make it more fun to ride.

PS. Two points to mention:
- im not going to buy the fix kit
- i am going to install a PCV

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vent Kit,Slp pipe and can and big horn intake and Slp ajustable clutch wieghts. Will wake it right up and run cooler.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AH! Thank you!! Ive searched and searched for something just like that! lol Every time i searched i came up with countless threads of people whining and griping about their motor problems.

and without starting a debate, im not sold on the merits of the fix kit or the indy dan kit, proper warm up and fuel tuning should do away with the so called "reliability issues". my sleds not that high in mileage, but im getting to around 1000km without so much as a hint of an issue. Seems like most issues come down to lean running and "piston slapping". Lean running is easy to fix, add fuel where its lean, and piston slap, thats easy, warm up properly, my car has piston slap with its brand new forged pistons. once its warm, its ready for 500+whp of power easy.

Im definetly interested in the best places to spend my money to make my ride more fun.

ie, i hear vforce reeds arent necessarily the best way to spend $300, better to put it towards a power commander or something

Last edited:

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
V force reeds are a waste of money IMO, SLP pipe is good, power command is good also if it is set up properly. I agree with you some what on the fix kit as not all 800's had a piston failure, but that being said... poo's pistons were obviously somewhat irregular and I think most failure's were operator, between lack of warm up and or cruising down the trail for long periods in midrange (you can't really blame the last one on operator as you should't have to run the sh!t out of your sled to keep piston's in it!). But the fix kit does give you better fitting pistons, higher comp head and back to the 08 flash which is a pretty good mod as it will wake the sled up as well..

St0rm77

Reaction score
i ahve an 09 assault, and the best way that i found to really make the sled feel like an 800 was to install a PCV with the dyno-tech 162 map installed.

another thing that was pretty big too was to change the gearing from stock -- iirc is 20-41 to a 19-42 setup. love it, and the gears through SLP are less than a c-note.

i do have to admit, i did put 'the fix' kit in, and the sled deffinately became quieter, and the thing spools up faster due to the lighter pistons.

for what its worth, fun as hell!!

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with storm, have yet to try the 19/42 but i am looking forward to it, and also with the fix kit

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i will definetly go with your suggestions. The gearing was one of the exact reasons i made this posts, i never would have considered it on my own, anyone have a link for when i can get some? I sesrched on google and on slps website but i didnt find those specific gears..? Any help would be great.

I will reconsider the fix kit, as it would be beneficial to have forged pistons either way, and it turns out its only a couple hundred more than just buying forged pistons alone, so i guess i should probably just go with the flow and be on the safe side. Lol

FeethookersCanada

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered this it is PAR version of the fix. POLARIS LONG ROD CONVERSION, Power Addiction Racing and if you are looking at the slp stage 2 you mays well go up to the stage 3 and add a head. but put the money into clutching to. a well set up sled feels way different than one with stock clutching. you might even want to see about a new track the camo extreme is a worthy upgrade too. there are so many GOOD thing you could do to improve the power and handling, have fun deciding what to do. and if you are interested i could help you out. feethookerscanada@hotmail.com

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got the pcv and a slp pipe with 2010 pistons debateing about the fix kit(650$) or rk tek pistons(375$)

Top Bottom