Best air intake for Duramax?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had different aftermarket filters in the past for Fords and only one that was worth having was the Banks system.
What type is working for not letting any dust through and better air flow?
Thx in advance.

Mine is a 2012 deleted at 131000 Kms

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had different aftermarket filters in the past for Fords and only one that was worth having was the Banks system.
What type is working for not letting any dust through and better air flow?
Thx in advance.

Mine is a 2012 deleted at 131000 Kms

I ran an S&B Oiled Intake on my 02, worked good didn't seem to let dust by either. It did fit nice and made the turbo sound good too. Supreme Diesel carries them, give Ernie a call he'll give you the low down on them.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banks with the intake scoop or if you don't want to spend that much go s&b.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they make a difference or just a waste of $$.
Mine only has a very mild EFI live tune and they tell me the stock is restrictive .
I keep stock one clean at all times .
The Banks on the Ford made a difference but had all the banks power pack system hardware on it.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran an AFE on my 11 and had an honest 1-1.5l/100km improvement. A friend of mine performed a leak test on his AFE and found it actually leaked around the rubber connections, something to consider. Also I happened to collapse two filters on mine, thinking it was due to running a winter front and sucking all the air outta the engine bay?

Back running stock now, can't justify paying out the system based off fuel savings and higher cost filter maintenance...

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have an AFE stage 5 intake on my truck, they offer a dry filter as well. The rubber boots are a weak spot on the afe kits. Mine are weathered and i need to invest in new ones. But the kit is solid, works great. Invest in a prefilter, it stops the filters from imploding on themselves from snow, dust, straw, water, and organics. I know first hand, i have collapsed one filter from snow, the prefilter will keep everything out of the filter and falls off. Also stops water from getting on the filter.

717VWwcm6GL._SL1500_.jpg

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock filters are bad in deeper snow conditions also for plugging up.
I slide a plastic plate between fender and housing if running in 20-30 cm of snow.
Which isn't very often.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We sell quite a few k&n oiled stock air filters... The factory box and breathing system is quite good, and tuned to the stock engine, but the filters do plug up easily. These k&n filters are a fraction of the price of a cold air intake kit and breathe about the same, on stock to mild/tow/street tuned engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had a tuner and delete installed on my 08 about 4 years ago, I asked about the filter system and they told me to leave it stock. No benefit they said to going aftermarket.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leave it the fu alone. Stock intakes filter the best and are PROVEN time and time again to not be a restriction until over 500rwhp...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock filters are bad in deeper snow conditions also for plugging up.
I slide a plastic plate between fender and housing if running in 20-30 cm of snow.
Which isn't very often.
That's the only reason I would open it up

Had one a few weeks ago, 11 lml

When the filter plugs up and try to get sucked in, breaks the waffle grid on the upper lid

Where does that stuff go, into the turbo and out past into intercooler ect

Actually came in for a egr bypass valve, took it off and found metal on exhaust input side ( and the air filter ect) jammed up the valve

All not warranty now, to the toon of 15000 to fix it all

Now what's cheaper ??

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh had the k&n before and wouldn't run one again as I found the seal leaks dust past.
That was years ago and maybe they have changed.
Clean cool air and happy motors.
Think the stock one will be staying clean and attached.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When the filter plugs up and try to get sucked in, breaks the waffle grid on the upper lid

Actually came in for a egr bypass valve, took it off and found metal on exhaust input side ( and the air filter ect) jammed up the valve

Now what's cheaper ??

Sorry the first part I am not following?
"That's the only reason I would open it up "
The rest I get as with turbo engines they have one hell of a lot of suck and if filter plugs they collapse and suck **** into motor.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Now what's cheaper ??

Ive seen lmls cylinder walls dusted clean due to poor aftermarket filters... Which is cheaper?

I also dont understand how a filter can get so bad that it breaks the filter box... Ive been on some greasy back roads in the summer time and my filter was plugged so bad it through a check engine light to warn me...

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a block plastic grid to keep air filter from getting sucked in, a diesel want all the air it can and will suck it in if it can

Oh and yes, only g.m filters on lml trucks, the cheap aftermarket ones don't seal on edges, fall in ect and dust gets past

Stock g.m ones, I have never seen fallen in, even if a quick lube has worked on it lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry the first part I am not following?
"That's the only reason I would open it up "
The rest I get as with turbo engines they have one hell of a lot of suck and if filter plugs they collapse and suck **** into motor.
Reason to open it up, to keep stock parts from getting sucked in
Ive seen lmls cylinder walls dusted clean due to poor aftermarket filters... Which is cheaper?

I also dont understand how a filter can get so bad that it breaks the filter box... Ive been on some greasy back roads in the summer time and my filter was plugged so bad it through a check engine light to warn me...
What light came on, doesn't have a sensor on filter minder like a topkick does

How would it no?? If it's a underboost code or maf performance code mabe, but filter or maf contaminated is first things to check

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock housing with an aftermarket air filter (reuseable/cleanable one) ive used K&N but people do use some that are a dry filter instead of oiled. stock system is good for over 500hp as i recall.

Top Bottom