Belt Wear??

nwoprormk

Reaction score
Just wondering how everybody is making out with belt wear? In 200 miles my belt was 1/4" down in the secondary. Had to use all the adjustment to get it back where it should be. Something has to be wrong. Any ideas? Dealer says to keep going and see if it wears anymore......

Oops. Its a 16 800 SKS 155 with a 2.6"

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine wore in the first few hundred miles, adjusted it back up. Hasn't moved in the last few hundred miles, so may just be initial wear??

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Initial stretch most likely.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

nwoprormk

Reaction score
Mine wore in the first few hundred miles, adjusted it back up. Hasn't moved in the last few hundred miles, so may just be initial wear??

I hope so.... cause a belt every two rides is way unacceptable. Have had 4 new polaris sleds in as many yrs and not one had an initial wear like this. I have a belt that has 1500 miles on it and it aint stretched as bad. It hasn't worn width wise so it has to be stretching. I'm gonna run the so called weaker belt from a 15 and see if it can take the "xtra hp". Have a feeling its all a corperate scam

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its just the initial break in of the belt. every sled i have owned does it. thats why they make the clutch adjustable. I usually have to make little adjustments to mine for the first 300 miles. heck that one of the first things i check when i get my sled ready for a trip.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
its just the initial break in of the belt. every sled i have owned does it. thats why they make the clutch adjustable. I usually have to make little adjustments to mine for the first 300 miles. heck that one of the first things i check when i get my sled ready for a trip.

My buddies was real loose after 150miles. Seemed excessive to me.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go smoke some more Doo-laid and gtf outta here, if you don't like Polaris no need to be on there forum period, asshat.

Like really if your not adding any useful information to a post why the **** would you bother posting at all?

nwoprormk

Reaction score
I get that part. But its the same thickness as a new one.....so it didn't wear. It stretched.And its out of adjustment so Its gonna get worse from here out and nothing I can do about it. These belts are more expensive than last yrs sled. I was told they are stronger, as to hold the xtra hp....but from what I see they are worse. I'm gonna try a belt from a 15 since its zackly the same size physically. Those belts can hold a turbo!! They've proved themselves.I just don't wanna have to remortgage my house to pay for a truck load of belts.......Or Id have bought a Cat

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best thing to do before using a new belt is to clean your sheaves on both clutches and wash the belt in soapy water and get the oil off the surface of the belt from the manufacturing process rinse and dry. the oil is transferred to the clutch which in turn causes the belt to slip and wear faster. when cleaning the sheaves do not spray on the clutch put it on a cloth and wipe the fibre bushings don't like brake cleaner

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get that part. But its the same thickness as a new one.....so it didn't wear. It stretched.And its out of adjustment so Its gonna get worse from here out and nothing I can do about it. These belts are more expensive than last yrs sled. I was told they are stronger, as to hold the xtra hp....but from what I see they are worse. I'm gonna try a belt from a 15 since its zackly the same size physically. Those belts can hold a turbo!! They've proved themselves.I just don't wanna have to remortgage my house to pay for a truck load of belts.......Or Id have bought a Cat

Yes the stretch is normal. Just like the track stretches. But there is no way your secondary should even be close to out of adjustment. Something is wrong with your secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if its the same belt as the pros then get the gates belts. you can find them for 45$ u.s online with free shipping

Sent from my rk312x using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it stretched but the same width it would not be down in the secondary. It would be still up in the secondary but loose around the primary. Try the Cat 048 belt if your trying to save money. About $125

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go smoke some more Doo-laid and gtf outta here, if you don't like Polaris no need to be on there forum period, asshat.

Like really if your not adding any useful information to a post why the **** would you bother posting at all?

Wow.....rage on...... I never knew we were only allowed to look at and post in the forums of the brand we ride. Some of us have owned and tuned every brand out there and can offer some useful info. Some of us even ride with guys that own other brands and can share some info from riding with those sleds.....just sayin.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it stretched but the same width it would not be down in the secondary. It would be still up in the secondary but loose around the primary. Try the Cat 048 belt if your trying to save money. About $125
There cat belt requires a shim in the primary to fit properly. And still twice the cost of a gates belt.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Top Bottom