Beacons in Calgary

skrat

Reaction score
I recently lost my beacon in a move, need anew one and will be in Calgary this weekend.

Where to look, and who has the best prices?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of the sled shops have them depending where you live.

Walt Healy
Ralph's Motorsports
Bow Cycle North & South
Cycle Works

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are located in Royal Oak Calgary

give them a call ask for Jay he will get ya a deal tell him I sent ya

its a ski/board shop but he has all the avy goods including packs etc

carries GOPRO too

good luck

Mattjames

Reaction score
I recently lost my beacon in a move, need anew one and will be in Calgary this weekend.

Where to look, and who has the best prices?

MEC, atmosphere, and I believe even sport check have them in stock.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
zacs tracs, there also was a good price on a pieps beacon on one of the headers on the site.:D

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
ordered mine from Avalanche Safety Solutions, was a great experience I would recommend them to anyone!

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would kinda think they might not support sledding? Please correct me if I'm wrong

havent heard on them, but i do know mec supports and funded greenie groups that directly hate sledders

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would kinda think they might not support sledding? Please correct me if I'm wrong

I've tried to find any evidence of them being (or being related too) anti-sled advocate groups and haven't heard or seen any yet. Asked the manager at the one here in Red Deer and they had nothing against us personally nor could they tell me if the company did (to their knowledge).

On their online store, if you look under beacons they mention it being essential avalanche rescue equipment for "venturing into avalanche country - self powered or on a sled."

Untitled.jpg

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Zac's cause they love sledders! Bought 2 DSP Pro's and was very happy with price and service.

skrat

Reaction score
Tried a few of the sled shops and they were all in the 350 plus range. I did some research and the one I wanted was the Pieps DSP Sport. Good reviews, all the features I need and at a good price point. I was originally looking for a Tracker 3, but none available in Canada till Feb. at the earliest. Everyone except MEC and Atmosphere were sold out. I went into MEC, the smell of granola was think in the air, told them I needed a transceiver for snowmobiling and was shunned. Awesome. Went to Atmosphere, said I needed a beacon for sledding and was told that allot of sledders come in for that, they would be happy to help. Bought the one I wanted, they matched Zac's price and went on my way.

So in the end, happy with the beacon, OK with where I bought it, sad it couldn't have been from a business in the sledding community.

Shop reviews:

Pro-Am, herd the new owner made some changes, too bad they weren't with the parts staff, it was painful in there. how do they find anything with it so cluttered and messy. The Viper looked good though.

Walt Healy's what a waste of time. They are clocking hours, shop is a mess, staff is rude, and none of the sled gear is on sale. Was told, bring it up and I will give you a price, when I did was asked, "you buyin or just lookin?" and never got a price. Just about told him, give me a price and you can go back to your facebook. But overheard they are moving to Airdrie soon, and all will be better.. not if they keep that staff.

Bow on phone, great! guy was a sledder, knew what I wanted and did a good job trying to get me to consider their beacon.

Ralph's on phone and in store, great!! helpful, knowledgable, and considerate.

Cycle Works in the city, So helpful I almost had to asked to be left alone (was drooling over the new 1190 KTM) so.. great! They need to get their receptionist on the snow and two wheels, she is bursting to try and is great for business because of it.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to support fellow sledders buy the Pieps Sport or Pro from me. Sold over 30 this season so far to S&M members. Still selling the Pieps Sport for 265.00 all in and it only3-4 days by mail

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to support fellow sledders buy the Pieps Sport or Pro from me. Sold over 30 this season so far to S&M members. Still selling the Pieps Sport for 265.00 all in and it only3-4 days by mail

bought mine from ray years ago. just as stated. had it in 3 days and at a great price.

• Thanks
Reactions: RGM
Top Bottom