Beacon advice Tracker 2

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have lots of people ask me what is the best beacon on the market to buy. What i tell them is simple, the best beacon to have is the one that you know how to use and are comfortable with using. I know guys that can find a buried beacon faster with there old sos analog beacon than other guys can with there new fanciest most expensive beacon. The reason is is that know how to use there beacon and they practice with it. So the key is no matter what beacon you have PRATICE USING IT, because if you need it in an emergency situation the time you save by knowing exactly howw to use your beacon could save a friends life. Because remeber if you need it in an emergency situation there will be alot of adrenaline flowing so that is also why it is so important to practice so it's almost second nature to you on how to use your beacon.. Ride safe everyone.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
practice before you take it out to the slopes, practice some more. to late when avalanche comes down. :beer:

if your buddy can't find your beacon in 4 minutes, in the parking lot. he buys beer. tends to learn fast.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have lots of people ask me what is the best beacon on the market to buy. What i tell them is simple, the best beacon to have is the one that you know how to use and are comfortable with using. I know guys that can find a buried beacon faster with there old sos analog beacon than other guys can with there new fanciest most expensive beacon. The reason is is that know how to use there beacon and they practice with it. So the key is no matter what beacon you have PRATICE USING IT, because if you need it in an emergency situation the time you save by knowing exactly howw to use your beacon could save a friends life. Because remeber if you need it in an emergency situation there will be alot of adrenaline flowing so that is also why it is so important to practice so it's almost second nature to you on how to use your beacon.. Ride safe everyone.

that right there is the best info going. practice lots. :d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Pieps DSP has the furthest range out of any beacon on the market today (60m). The Pulse beacon will follow behind at (> 60m) Yes your SOS will find multiple's but no were near as effecient as the Pieps or Pulse and it does not have a greater range then Pieps or Pulse. If you have any questions let me know.

Question, when you sending me the money? $25 is owing or if you'd like to test your theory, pulses are going for 425.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a few avalanche becans and I want some opinons from people that actually own and use one, what they think of the ones they have. Im looking at the newest from Backcountry Access its the Tracker 2 does anyone else have this model? Is it worth the money to go digital not just analog? :snow:

I am trying the new Ortovox 3+ transceiver it has the multiple marking function like the pulse and new pieps and also like the pulse after so many seconds of not moving in the search mode it will automatically turn back over to transmit mode in case you were buried in a second slide while searching. cost $370. very easy to operate

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like to think of the tracker 2 like this.... the tracker 2 is 5 years old, no real changes, would you go to futureshop and buy a computer that is 5 years old? no, its out dated. I think you would be better off with something that is more recent and has been updated.... if i were you i think the ortovox 3+ is MUCH better value for money as well as a much better beacon.

trailblazer

Reaction score
Barryvox Pulse.Better harness,better range,upgradeable,easier to read in bright light,better for multiples,better sounding during search,lighter,as easy to use as any other.

More money,but two things not to cheap out on,a beacon and a shovel.Imo a Pulse and a Brooks Range Mini Pro Sharktooth are the way to go,if you care about yer' crew.They drive a car over them to test them out!

$15,000 sled,and a cheap beacon??? WTF

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Peips DSP and am very happy with it. Easy to use. Turned it on and handed it to a buddy that had not seen one before and he had the beacon buried in the back yard in under a minute. Good point trailblazer. Don't cheap out on the avy gear. Get the best and work hard at never having to use it!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure I will give you your distance on a perfect orientation. But it never is a perfect scenario. So were are you going with your argument here..... Do you want a pulse beacon??

ah, nothing is perfect, but that was not the question. if you had said digital beacon you would have been right, but you jumped down my neck and you got my hair up. and no i'm not any faster, i can only move so fast, so the analog beacon works for me.

yes i would buy the pulse, looks like the one that fits my way of thinking, shows me how many buried, direction to closest beacon, locks out found beacons. less confusion at panick time.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barryvox Pulse.Better harness,better range,upgradeable,easier to read in bright light,better for multiples,better sounding during search,lighter,as easy to use as any other.

More money,but two things not to cheap out on,a beacon and a shovel.Imo a Pulse and a Brooks Range Mini Pro Sharktooth are the way to go,if you care about yer' crew.They drive a car over them to test them out!

$15,000 sled,and a cheap beacon??? WTF

seen guys out there with ice cream pail lids, WTF. my thouht is whatever you have practice with it lots, so it is second nature when the shheeet hits.

speedy740

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, we ordered 2 of the Tracker 2's Sounds like the very first Tracker 2's avaible had a few hiccups with the software so we made sure they had the upgraded software. Thanks for the opinions/advice. -Bonnie

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like to think of the tracker 2 like this.... the tracker 2 is 5 years old, no real changes, would you go to futureshop and buy a computer that is 5 years old? no, its out dated. I think you would be better off with something that is more recent and has been updated.... if i were you i think the ortovox 3+ is MUCH better value for money as well as a much better beacon.

I would love to know you think the tracker 2 is 5 years old???? It just came out last season..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to know you think the tracker 2 is 5 years old???? It just came out last season..

i'm hoping he meant to post the tracker (1), otherwise where does this stuff come from. the original tracker still works well, you need to practice with it, and understand what it is doing. i rarely see anyone do beacon checks even with new guys, is everyone in a hurry to die?:confused:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the tracker 2. awesome beacon. not that ive had to use it. but just through practicing i like it. during the avalanche course it didnt have the longest range but if i can see where the person ends up within 50-60m ill be doing ok.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the tracker 2. awesome beacon. not that ive had to use it. but just through practicing i like it.

should work well, and becomes second nature with use. i have a tracker 1, use it as a spare for other riders, i just want more range .

friggin practice guys

Top Bottom