Beacon advice Tracker 2

speedy740

Reaction score
Im looking at a few avalanche becans and I want some opinons from people that actually own and use one, what they think of the ones they have. Im looking at the newest from Backcountry Access its the Tracker 2 does anyone else have this model? Is it worth the money to go digital not just analog? :snow:

assaultbear

Reaction score
I picked up a tracker II this winter for going to Revy. Easy to use after studying. Just hope to never have do anything with it besides test it. When your life or a buddies life depends on it, the digital is the only way to go.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I picked up a tracker II this winter for going to Revy. Easy to use after studying. Just hope to never have do anything with it besides test it. When your life or a buddies life depends on it, the digital is the only way to go.

I do not mean to derail the post, but is the Tracker I digital, or considered analog?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Im looking at a few avalanche becans and I want some opinons from people that actually own and use one, what they think of the ones they have. Im looking at the newest from Backcountry Access its the Tracker 2 does anyone else have this model? Is it worth the money to go digital not just analog? :snow:

I use a Pulse and my wife's is a Tracker II. It is easy to use and pretty much "idiot proof". A good beacon for the price.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have the tracker 2..
We were in elkford playing with them,,one guy buried one and i found it within 30 sec.It is easy to use,,

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definatly easy to use. Thankfully I have only practiced with mine. I have tried a few others and the Tracker 11 is definatly idiot proof.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one this year for one of my boys (14), and yes very easy for him to use and plan on picking another up.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a tracker1 and had the Chance to use both the tracker 1 and the tracker 2 in a beacon field in mcbride they are both easy to use and are both digital. The difference is the tracker 2, has 3 antennas and the tracker 1 has 2. What that means is the tracker 2 is quicker to locate a signal. After using both I really like the tracker 2 even swaping beacong with my wife she perfered the tracker2 as well.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both thge tracker one and tracker two are digital beacons. We sell both here at the shop.

F/A

Reaction score
Trackers are good beacons, had and used the Tracker1 but the three antenna beacons are definately worth the extra money. Analogs are dinosuars and nobody should be buying them now. My 2cents

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Trackers are digital. Any beacon with 2(?) antennas or more are considered digital. The screen may not be digital, and just have a few arrows and numbers, but are still digital.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the new Peips dsp, three antenna that can find multiple burials and can pick up signal farther than anything else. In my opinion it is the best one out there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the new Peips dsp, three antenna that can find multiple burials and can pick up signal farther than anything else. In my opinion it is the best one out there.

you wouldn't want to put $25.00 on that would you. you sir, are full of shheeet. your reciever will go to 60 m tops. my sos will find mutiple burials, and will detect way farther than yours. my money is in my hand, you want it? anyone else want to test their range and take my money?

now for the rest of you, use what you have, and practice, and yes digital is easier, for my money pulse is the one to buy.

SkiMod 800

Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
you wouldn't want to put $25.00 on that would you. you sir, are full of shheeet. your reciever will go to 60 m tops. my sos will find mutiple burials, and will detect way farther than yours. my money is in my hand, you want it? anyone else want to test their range and take my money?

now for the rest of you, use what you have, and practice, and yes digital is easier, for my money pulse is the one to buy.

The Pieps DSP has the furthest range out of any beacon on the market today (60m). The Pulse beacon will follow behind at (> 60m) Yes your SOS will find multiple's but no were near as effecient as the Pieps or Pulse and it does not have a greater range then Pieps or Pulse. If you have any questions let me know.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Pieps DSP has the furthest range out of any beacon on the market today (60m). The Pulse beacon will follow behind at (> 60m) Yes your SOS will find multiple's but no were near as effecient as the Pieps or Pulse and it does not have a greater range then Pieps or Pulse. If you have any questions let me know.

sorry, i have tested it at 90 m and also against the pieps on avi class, i have a signal and direction. yes nowhere near as good as the digital on multiple searches way more operator input.
i turn new riders to digital beacons, because of easier use. but to a new guy the pieps may be info overload. bca has it's own problems seen it on the hill friday. you have to practice, lots with any beacon. just they are not new guy pick up and go.

i have a question, you coming to take my money? maybe step away from the sales brochures and do some field testing. the anolg beacons still work, or are you going to tell me they have different frequency?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you want to test your sales brochure info, maybe make it more interesting? i'd like a new pulse.

K

Kavaleen

I would suggest that you try a few different kinds before you buy one. Baryvox and Pieps seem to work well and are pretty fool proof. The Pieps keeps getting better and easier to use which is what you want in an emergency situation. If you have time contact some professionals that use them and ask their advice. That way you will hear about the ones that are reliable and handy. Have fun and good luck.....

Top Bottom