Bca float mtnpro vest

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you fine folks have any real experience with the latest version of BCA's armored av vest? I might be in the market for a new bag this year, and have been thinking about maybe a vest of some sort.

Their little video sounds promising, but I've been fooled by that before. So- anyone have one, or know someone who has one that cares to fill me in??

Thanks.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used one last season and loved it. Cons to it are quite warm if you run an insulated jacket. Not a ton of room in the pack so gotta run a little less stuff in the bag. This year I am trying out the high mark. Little more pricey but seems like a better inflation system and the vest portion seems like it will breath a little more. But would not hesitate a second to buy another bca in the future.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run one an love it. I walk around at 250lbs and never worn an insulted jacket in my life in the mountains. I like the fact that it is smaller and cant carry much sheit in the backpack. Couple of essentials and the rest on the crap I used to carry is in the tunnel bag. Pretty reasonably priced if you ask me, think I got it for $800.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a BCA vest for 3 years and upgraded to the new style this year with bigger pockets, better shovel holder and better snaps/strap setup. I am really looking forward to it as I liked the old one and these improvements will make it perfect for me.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will be the first year I will try one....in the past i wore a klim teck vest under a unisulated klim jacket with a ABS 30l pack.......so really hoping this will reduce the amount of items by combing 2......think it will be the ticket for sure.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first (older) BCA Avy Vest was a 12L volume pack with smaller pockets up front, and was a 1 size fits all.
This year they have increase the pack size to 20L, both front pockets are larger, and have 2 options for sizing M/L (Orange Trim) and XL/XXL (Green Trim)
The difference in sizing is on the front of the vest, the XL extends lower on/over the gut !

avalanche-airbag-FloatMtnPro-orange-580x350.png avalanche-airbag-FloatMtnPro-green-580x350.png

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest worry for me was:

1. Being too hot, this turned out to be not a problem and you can always wear one less layer.
2. Not being able to access my coat pockets, this is also not a problem because of ample storage on the vest. My saw even saw fits in the shoulder pocket opposite side of the pull cord. Its nice to have things within reach without taking the pack off. (and much safer)

And one other thing, Deb and Dwayne Paynton are the Canadian reps for BCA. They live, work and sled in Western Canada. They care about snowmobilers and provide great service. Dwayne pioneered the avy bag after getting caught in an avalanche himself while sledding several years ago. Although BCA as a corporation focuses a lot on the ski business, (as the others) These two are actually on our side.

Some other companies send money to organizations such as the Sierra Club and other anti-motorized greenie groups but BCA is carefully trying not to offend any potential customers. This should be important to you as it would suck to find out you indirectly paid to shut down your favorite riding area.

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the same set up as Turblue for years with the tekvest under a klim shell and a 30L ABS pack. Last year I switched to the BCA avy vest and absolutely LOVE it! The biggest thing for me is the vest spreads out the weight and the waist strap allows for more weight to ride on my hips. This helped ease the stress of the load on my shoulders greatly! Ultimately allowing me to ride without getting as tired quickly. X2 for the great service provided by Dwayne and Deb as they have been right on top of any questions or warranty issues with any BCA products. I did find I had a little less storage with last years BCA avy vest but look forward to more with this year's version. The receiver pocket on the front made accessing my avy beacon much quicker and easier.

Champagne

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a bunch of friends that just love the vest pack. I think the New Float vest is alittle nicer with having the shovel carrier already on the outside. Its big enough to hold the essentials. It comes this year in two different sizes which is nice to make sure you get the proper fit. Alberta Cycle as some great Black friday deals next week, it doesn't hurt to go take a look.
Float Vest.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of friends that just love the vest pack. I think the New Float vest is alittle nicer with having the shovel carrier already on the outside. Its big enough to hold the essentials. It comes this year in two different sizes which is nice to make sure you get the proper fit. Alberta Cycle as some great Black friday deals next week, it doesn't hurt to go take a look.

You can get the shovel carrier on the outside of the previous MtnPro vest. I have, took it off. I wouldn't mind the upgrade to the new one as I like the colors on the smaller size.

Top Bottom