Bca bc link radio

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of them. Both my daughter and I use them. I set up the helmets with ear buds that you fasten in the helmet with velcro. I then bought a mono to stereo adaptor that plugs into the radio so both ear phones work. If someone is stopped and talks to you, you can hear them perfectly. We are able to ride at slow speeds and talk as well. High speeds don't work too well as the wind noise on the mic messes it up.
Example of ear buds.
Motorcycle Helmet Stereo Earphone Headset for iPhone MP3 Music Device - US$5.19

Example of adaptor.
Monoprice 107128 3.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated: Amazon.ca: Electronics

The only draw back is you need to remember your helmet is wired when you take it off.

Hope this helps.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of them. Both my daughter and I use them. I set up the helmets with ear buds that you fasten in the helmet with velcro. I then bought a mono to stereo adaptor that plugs into the radio so both ear phones work. If someone is stopped and talks to you, you can hear them perfectly. We are able to ride at slow speeds and talk as well. High speeds don't work too well as the wind noise on the mic messes it up.
Example of ear buds.

Example of adaptor.
Monoprice 107128 3.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated: Amazon.ca: Electronics

The only draw back is you need to remember your helmet is wired when you take it off.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your awesome mind and technology skills!!!!!! we had loggers come into the store needing this exact application! I have the BCA radios but had no idea what to do with the rest of the request!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your awesome mind and technology skills!!!!!! we had loggers come into the store needing this exact application! I have the BCA radios but had no idea what to do with the rest of the request!

You are very welcome. Always glad to help.

Reaction score
Example of ear buds.

Example of adaptor.

Hope this helps.

So the ear buds just "stick" to the inside of the helmet? Do you feel them on your ears at all? Where do you run the wire out? (Sorry just piecing this together... watched video of them online)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the ear buds just "stick" to the inside of the helmet? Do you feel them on your ears at all? Where do you run the wire out? (Sorry just piecing this together... watched video of them online)

From the manual for distance...

Battery life: dependent on usage; 80 hours normal use when radio is stored in backpack.Transmitting in high power mode will shorten battery life.Range: Approximately 2 miles in typical backcountry environment. Electricalinterference and objects between the transmitting and receiving radio can decrease range.In optimum circumstances range can be significantly greater.

As for the ear buds I pulled back the helmet foam so I could stick the ear buds onto the helmet surface itself. So you have however thick your foam is for spacing. I cant feel them at all in the helmet. I'll take some pictures and post soon...

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my helmet and my daughters. Every helmet will be a bit different but I'm positive all would be able to have ear buds installed.
I snuck the wiring in behind all the foam of the helmets.

My MotorFist Helmet

And my Daughters Troy Lee helmet.

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my helmet and my daughters. Every helmet will be a bit different but I'm positive all would be able to have ear buds installed.
I snuck the wiring in behind all the foam of the helmets.

My MotorFist Helmet

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/20151210_081309_zpsrdz7vkjf.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/20151210_081339_zpsabczk7ip.jpg

And my Daughters Troy Lee helmet.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/20151210_082119_zps2zbd8asd.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/20151210_082145_zpsazqiaojw.jpg

You sir, are a rock star, thank you lol I think I may do this.

Reaction score
From the manual for distance...

Battery life: dependent on usage; 80 hours normal use when radio is stored in backpack.Transmitting in high power mode will shorten battery life.Range: Approximately 2 miles in typical backcountry environment. Electricalinterference and objects between the transmitting and receiving radio can decrease range.In optimum circumstances range can be significantly greater.

As for the ear buds I pulled back the helmet foam so I could stick the ear buds onto the helmet surface itself. So you have however thick your foam is for spacing. I cant feel them at all in the helmet. I'll take some pictures and post soon...

Read your responses in reverse order... thanks again. Awesome info. 2 miles gives me a good enough idea .. I know everything varies "depending on situation". I just wanted the ballpark. I have a new helmet I haven't used yet, same brand as yours. I wasn't even aware I could pull that foam back, so it makes more sense now.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time. I love being able to communicate with my daughter in the "technical" areas when riding. More often then not all she needs is a few words of encouragement and off she will go.
We run the default frequencies, usually the high band. Will see you in Cataract i'm sure at some point this year.

Reaction score
Any time. I love being able to communicate with my daughter in the "technical" areas when riding. More often then not all she needs is a few words of encouragement and off she will go.
We run the default frequencies, usually the high band. Will see you in Cataract i'm sure at some point this year.

The wife and I looked in to some helmet communication methods when we first got our sleds.. blue-tooth style mostly meant for phones and/or touring bikes. But I wasn't convinced I wanted to hear my wife all the time lol (shhh) I wish you could play some MP3's as well. Like my phone at the gym, plays all my music until a message comes in, then pauses my music, and reads me my txt. I can then respond "ignore" or "reply" without ever having to touch my phone or ear-buds. Combine that with a two-way radio and it'd be perfect.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife and I looked in to some helmet communication methods when we first got our sleds.. blue-tooth style mostly meant for phones and/or touring bikes. But I wasn't convinced I wanted to hear my wife all the time lol (shhh) I wish you could play some MP3's as well. Like my phone at the gym, plays all my music until a message comes in, then pauses my music, and reads me my txt. I can then respond "ignore" or "reply" without ever having to touch my phone or ear-buds. Combine that with a two-way radio and it'd be perfect.

LOL.
Im sure you can find something out there that will do what you want but these radios seem to be an all around good unit. Simple, durable, long lasting battery and good transmission/receiving. We picked up a set of Wary avy packs last year (they went out of business so got a screaming good deal on them, might still be some deals to be had) and they have a some sort of Ski pouch for skies. At least I think that is what it was for. We sewed up the bottom so the radios would not fall all the way in and lucked out that a strap was on the top. Locks the radio in nice and tight. Its best to keep the antenna as vertical as possible for best signal strength.
One other thing I'd like to mention is make sure (if you use a Avy pack) that the pull cord and mic are not close to each other. Don't want to get a hand full of mic when you are looking for a bag full of air ;-)

Reaction score
LOL.
Im sure you can find something out there that will do what you want but these radios seem to be an all around good unit. Simple, durable, long lasting battery and good transmission/receiving. We picked up a set of Wary avy packs last year (they went out of business so got a screaming good deal on them, might still be some deals to be had) and they have a some sort of Ski pouch for skies. At least I think that is what it was for. We sewed up the bottom so the radios would not fall all the way in and lucked out that a strap was on the top. Locks the radio in nice and tight. Its best to keep the antenna as vertical as possible for best signal strength.
One other thing I'd like to mention is make sure (if you use a Avy pack) that the pull cord and mic are not close to each other. Don't want to get a hand full of mic when you are looking for a bag full of air ;-)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/BCLink_zpsfbedc0bb.jpg

Good tip..... don't wanna pull the wrong cord for sure. Not applicable to us (yet), but maybe in time. (Avy packs that is)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom