Battery Problems

SweetBrian

Reaction score
My friend has a 700 king quad and has had problems with the battery not keeping a charge the tests say the battery is fine anyone run into a similar problem?

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Have you fully charged the battery(12.8v anything lower and it's not fully charged) and load tested(what was yiour reading in ca,what was the lowest voltage it went down to) have you checked for a parasitic drain on the battery, what's the part # on your ecm?(should be 10 digits):beer::d

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also heard that the dealers arn't filling them correctly, as they're a mat battery, rather than just your regular bucket of fluid battery...you have to let them sit for a couple hours before charging them, or damage will result. I bought my battery, and filled it myself, and haven't have a problem since.

There was a service bulletin about the ignitions and the clock KAM drawing power...

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
The updated Ignition assembly was for a jobber ignition made in Mexico(contacts falling apart,using $#@$y materials) all the updated Ignitions were assembled in japan using Quality parts.

With that parasitic drain it will draw a little power, if you let sit for too long without trickle hooked up it will be dead in a month and a half. All batteries discharge hot or cold.

And that's true, some techs don't know how to properly activate these types of batteries. Just depends on if youv'e had the training from Yuasa to properly service and maintain these batteries. I've recieved training from Yuasa and Suzuki Canada. And my batteries don't come back(knock on wood)

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the Tech's fault, When assembling the machines, they're probably being rushed, or worse, being paid by the job. Some places hire unskilled people to do the assemblies, and are given a once over by a trained tech...What shop is going to want a machine tying up real-estate in the shop while they wait on the battery to be ready?

This, I feel is the main reason for the "King Quads have poor battery" complaint..mine had sat for most of winter, and fired up fine....

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my king 700, under the seat on the left side, where the wiring harness plugs in to the black ecm. There is a service bulliten for the ecm, if the last didgit isn't a 5 the dealer should give you a updated one for free (the one i went through did anyways) but suzuki wont cover the battery that drained and froze over winter time:rant:

RichardL

Reaction score
If you are not riding for more than 3 or 4 weeks you should disconnect the battery. Appearently the machine is constantly drawing power and eventually this wrecks the battery. A guy could hook up one the battery tenders on the market definitly a lot cheaper than replacing the battery.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are not riding for more than 3 or 4 weeks you should disconnect the battery. Appearently the machine is constantly drawing power and eventually this wrecks the battery.

Yep; in order for the clock to keep time it is gonna use a bit of power all the time. Found that out when I replaced my first battery, after it sat for the winter. Made good sense when the dealer explained it to me. Now I just take the battery out, charge it up, and store it inside when the quad is in storage.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
Everyone I know with a 700 King Quad has had trouble with there battery going dead or always being weak, it's a very comman problem. My Grizzly and Foreman have a clock and it does't drain the battery sitting all winter so I don't think it's the clock causing the problem!:confused:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: cure for Battery Problems

on 99% of the king quad 700's there was and updated cdi (free) and insome cases if you boosted the battery u would get a error code on the display and it may have fried it, (most of the time warranty) the battery was at the begining warranty, but not so much any more, the new cdi reduced the draw on the battery from the clock, and for the most part fixed the problem.

Just a note if you are not using ur4 wheeler for a few weeks pull out the main fuse that will stop any draw on your battery and ensure a quick start when you need it.

Also- atvs- motorcycles, and most snowmobiles (exception 660 turbo ac or diesel atv) DO NOT HAVE AN ALTERNATOR!!! Everyone i tell this is astonished,
they have a stator which has several coils one being a charge coil- this only maintains the charge that they unit is drawing while it is running, not when your trying to start it after it was submerged, or if the lights are left on. etc,

In 99% of owners manuals it says charging the battery is part of regular maintainance.

just my little 3 bits

T.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I wonder if they improved this for the 750's as mine sat all winter and I hopped on it the other day and she fired up no problem.

LeoClark

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my king 700, under the seat on the left side, where the wiring harness plugs in to the black ecm. There is a service bulliten for the ecm, if the last didgit isn't a 5 the dealer should give you a updated one for free (the one i went through did anyways) but suzuki wont cover the battery that drained and froze over winter time:rant:

This is what the dealer is telling me now as well they said the will change it for free and will only take a minute. ill get it done and see if there is a difference

LeoClark

Reaction score
it was not my ecm however there was a ground wire to the engine that was loose apparently. after it was tightened the volts were back up to 14 so this is supposed to be solved now

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should ask them if your vin qualifies for free upgrade and get them to do it anyway, its possible that it was ground wire but i never heard that one before?

anythings possible..

T

p.s. funny how its always the dealers fault as suggested previously, jump on that band wagon, and who is the guy you go to if you have a problem or need a part for the weekend? probably the same guy that doesnt have qualified setup guys and didnt pdi it properly,,,, Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz thanks .......ya cut me deep shrekkk.........ouch.......

Top Bottom