Battery Operated Yards Tool - saw, blowers, lawn mowers etc

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up some battery operated power tools for my father in law. He is 82 and in fantastic shape and still lives on the farm he was born on. He likes to keep busy around the place so uses chain saws, blowers etc. and I would like to get him some of the battery operated products.

I have been looking at Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo and Yard Works (Canadian Tire brand).

Just wondering if anyone has had a personal experience with these tools and might want to offer an opinion on which might be better.

Biggest concern I have is how long the batteries will last...

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only experience I have is with a Yard Works string trimmer. The battery charge doesn't last to go around the property. Not huge property at 3/4 acre but just putting it out there.

That seems to be a fairly common complaint on the Yard works stuff. Thanks FS

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear the Stihl stuff is very good, but quite expensive.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Stihl combi set up. Love it but wife hated starting it.
I have a 18v makita drill and impact already so it was a no brainer for me to buy the 18v weed wacker. It was $90 without a batt or charger.

It works great and I would buy another ! To me it's a way better set up than a crappy tire yard works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on Makita very good especially with the higher amp/hr batteries, biggest thing I find is use the batteries till down and keep charged and out of the cold for extended periods of time

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've sold a bit of the Stihl battery operated stuff. From what I've dealt with, the quality seems really high and easy as pie to run. As with anything, the bigger battery will last longer, and the quick charger and a back up battery wouldn't be a bad investment. Stihl also has quite a few different yard tools you can buy which is nice.

Down side of the battery stuff, the batteries are pricey.

Here's the information on it: STIHL Lithium-Ion | STIHL

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all stihl outdoor stuff and will continue to buy whenever this stuff decides to pack it in. It's not battery powered, but geeze...trimmer is commercial duty, but is 7 years old..still starts on pull #2 and I trim after every cut.

Majority of my power tools are Makita stuff. Good quality stuff, but with Makita be aware there are 3 grades of Makita tools and it depends on where they are made. The trimmer or hedge cutter are of the better quality. Batteries you have to be careful on with Makita. They are all the same in terms of quality, but they do make a number of Amp hour sizes..larger the Amp hour, the longer the run time. Largest right now is either a 5.0 Amp hour or 6.0 amp hour. BIgger the battery heavier it is, but go quite a while without much of a drop off.

FYI but Makita batteries are somewhat smart batteries. THey have a chip built into them that only limits them to so many charges. Once you hit that limit, battery is NFG. I've built 2 shops, finished a basement, 3 decks, and reno'd half a cabin and a house over 5 years and my 2 x 3.0 amp hour batteries finally packed it in..so life is pretty decent.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a few ryobi items such as trimmer blower and hedge trimmer. They all work great.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom