Banks

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we bought the land we went through ATB, we had that paid off in a few years before starting the build. When we went to get the construction mortgage it was between ATB and RBC, looking back I guess we went wrong.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take pictures of the build and get your building assessed for worth before you go see ATB. Try and guess the full amount to finish the build...add extra. And maybe next week your problems will all be over

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had good luck with BMO. No issues over 30 years.. But really don’t do a lot with them either.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take pictures of the build and get your building assessed for worth before you go see ATB. Try and guess the full amount to finish the build...add extra. And maybe next week your problems will all be over

ATB approving a build mortgage already under construction in a week? Got a better chance of winning lotto max.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Credit Union all the way. Love it when they deposit cash in my account just for being a member. Dropped RBC years ago. Got real tired of paying every time I wanted to do something. Even closing my safety deposit box cost me $25 there. Being a Credit Union member pays me way more than any charges they cost me.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s changed recently, but I found that it was impossible to do much self directed investing with either a credit union or ATB. Very limited in options compared to the big banks.

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we have a meeting with RBC next week as well as ATB. Both my wife and I have excellent credit rating and have never had an issue for a loan. All the issues have arose when doing our self build for our house. I know im just a small person in the scheme of things but still in the 1% of top earners and we came into the build with our land fully paid for as well as a healthy savings account. We currently have close to as much invested into the house as the bank, but trying to get draws to get to completion is like pulling teeth.
Yup love to take the cash but hard sometimes to get it

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been with bmo for 30 years been good to me to get me out of the city they paid my maple trust mortgage off and bought me 80 acres with a second mortgage paid them off when we sold out Edmonton house and mortgage free for 12 years

Sled denny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we bought the land we went through ATB, we had that paid off in a few years before starting the build. When we went to get the construction mortgage it was between ATB and RBC, looking back I guess we went wrong.
We built a new house in 2012 60000 did it myself except for the electric payed 10000 took 10 months to do did not cheep out on anything 2000 sq ft

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My self build with ATB was a nightmare. Mortgage renewal 5 years later also pain in the ass. 5 more years later ATB interest rate was 2 percent high and would not budge.

Bye bye ATB!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banks all suck , huge. ATB , isn’t limited by the Canada bank act as all the chartered banks, so they have more leeway in what they can do. But, because almost all of their security is in Alberta real estate and businesses, they are experiencing huge losses and shortfalls with so many mortgage and loan failures. So their lending parameters are getting tighter, naturally. Guys who are saying their bank is awesome and “helped” them , have most likely been fortunate enough to never have been in a position to not pay. Most will give you a small window of forgiveness , but as soon as it’s past the local rep , the mr nice guy goes away pretty fast. Always got a kick out of banks sending renewal notices out to their “preferred clients, at usually 2-3 % higher than what they will agree to if you call in and complain. We love ya man and appreciate you , but if you’re naive enough to sign this 5 year renewal, we’ll just monetarily rape you for the next 5 years!
Banks are predators , don’t believe otherwise.

linktel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We started out with Common Wealth CU in Lloydminster 30 years ago, the service was great, it then changed to Border CU service was still great
when they changed to Servus CU and the service changed, it almost turned into a bank.
Still better than a Bank

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a member of Common Wealth Trust in the early 60's. They were giving out free toasters and stuff to join them. They packed up and left in the middle of the night and took everyone's money.

Top Bottom