Banks

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im sure everyone has a positive and negative thing to say about each franchise but im getting fed up with RBC to the point of moving. Im a life time client but the way they have handled our construction mortgage has my wife and I pissed off and they just don't seem to care. Anyone have good experiences with ATB or one of the Credit Unions?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been with Canadian Western for years and treat you really well .
Always get someone answering the phone and very personal people that don’t seem to quit and move on much .
If they treat there people well I always think they treat customers well .

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deal solely with ATB personally and corporate. They are no better than any one else, been pissed off and surprised a few times. But I'm still there because of some of the perks over the years.

Jobu

Reaction score
I'm similar to you. I was with TD for over a decade and their service kept decreasing while they keep increasing the pricing of everything they did for me. I finally had enough and switched to ATB about a year and a half ago. I couldn't recommend them enough, they're so easy to get along with. Better interest rates on LOC and CC, they charge less for accounts. Always friendly and easy to get along with.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotia bank is terrible got burnt by some big fees selling and purchasing our last home then got jerked around on the construction mortgage so moved my mortgage to fcc. I am currently in the process of switching to our credit union so much better. Brother was buying a truck phoned scotia were he deals they told him 6 weeks till he could see someone to get a loan so phoned credit union switched banks and had a loan in under 7 days. Least when you phone credit union you get a real person in sask who answers, scotia even to make a appointment you need to phone toronto and talk to a robot its brutal

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never been loyal to any bank, i have tried all the banks. If you know the bank manager or someone running the show other than the figurehead you can get anything you want as far as loans go, it all comes down to the people. Right now i belong to RBC, Spruce Credit Union, Achieva financial and the Canadiantire Bank. If you have money Achieva would be your best bet, Canadiantire bank is the most unusual best charge card by far don't expect to get money out of either of these though. If you need money CIBC is the best i have found. However RBC was great i just join there 3 weeks ago ...a good loans girl. It could be your under a lot of stress and they are putting the brakes on you. If there is a brand new bank being built near you they will be eager to sign up new people they will treat you good... for a while.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have always dealt with local credit unions. Being local keeps their interest closer to home as in they want the local industry, housing, etc succeed and are more willing to help out . Any time they hand out grants or support charities, it goes to local outreach and not who-knows-where in Toronto...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Life long Credit Union user here. Have always found their service top notch and love talking to a real person on the 1st ring instead of a robot and 15mins on hold. Only downside is banking away from your home branch. ATM access is easy but if you need a loan or bank draft it's a hassle.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never been loyal to any bank, i have tried all the banks. If you know the bank manager or someone running the show other than the figurehead you can get anything you want as far as loans go, it all comes down to the people. Right now i belong to RBC, Spruce Credit Union, Achieva financial and the Canadiantire Bank. If you have money Achieva would be your best bet, Canadiantire bank is the most unusual best charge card by far don't expect to get money out of either of these though. If you need money CIBC is the best i have found. However RBC was great i just join there 3 weeks ago ...a good loans girl. It could be your under a lot of stress and they are putting the brakes on you. If there is a brand new bank being built near you they will be eager to sign up new people they will treat you good... for a while.

This 1000x. Never give all your business to one bank/credit union or you will regret it. They don't want all your business despite how much they say it. I have dealings with most banks aside from ATB I will never deal with them again, Scotia doesn't seem great, and BMO mostly because they were a pain when I tried. Never tried a credit union. I remember years ago when I got a mortgage with RBC super easy, so when I bought another property after I figured why not? Yea right. Trying to get two mortgages with the same bank? Absolute nightmare. A million times easier if you had the mortgage elsewhere. I was very fed up with CIBC after being a lifelong customer and was about to leave until a new branch manager came in, and now I have a good relationship with her and can get virtually anything I want. Had no idea how much power they have with things. Apparently they can get virtually any CC, loan, access to funds, etc. Head office can veto it but won't happen if you have a good history.

Oh yea if getting a mortgage with RBC run away from Ron strayski.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been at Credit unions forever , but I am getting tired of that after seeing how much better ATB is.
Good people. Good rates.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moved from RBC to ATB for corporate business.
All the decisions are approved in the east, and they have no clue what is happening out West, especially with regards to Alberta , and the energy sector.
ATB seems to have a closer understanding to the Alberta situation.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotia bank is terrible got burnt by some big fees selling and purchasing our last home then got jerked around on the construction mortgage so moved my mortgage to fcc. I am currently in the process of switching to our credit union so much better. Brother was buying a truck phoned scotia were he deals they told him 6 weeks till he could see someone to get a loan so phoned credit union switched banks and had a loan in under 7 days. Least when you phone credit union you get a real person in sask who answers, scotia even to make a appointment you need to phone toronto and talk to a robot its brutal

7 days to get a car loan? that only takes 10mins any time I've tried.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to deal with RBC for my mothers finances and it is absolutely horrible, myself, I deal with Scotia and haven't had any issues some of you have mentioned. Easy to book appt, friendly and helpful reps, besides with 6yrs left on my mortgage with a really low rate and am not gonna switch.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t find Scotia too great either. Always thought about moving things over to a good credit union.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might book an appointment with ATB and see what they have to offer. RBC has been good at certain things but like others have mentioned its all about the people. I do like that ATB is more local and not having to rely on people out east for decisions. See what RBC does for us after this current ordeal.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was a private deal not through dealer, and i was takin in account from when he phoned till he got the money, he works till 6 everyday so first appointment that worked for him was a sat and he had the money on mon.

QUOTE=lilduke;2690014]7 days to get a car loan? that only takes 10mins any time I've tried.[/QUOTE]

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might book an appointment with ATB and see what they have to offer. RBC has been good at certain things but like others have mentioned its all about the people. I do like that ATB is more local and not having to rely on people out east for decisions. See what RBC does for us after this current ordeal.

Do not say might, book that appointment. Make sure and tell them how pissed you are a RBC. Might save yourself some money as well. I can remember years ago when scotia bank would not give me a builders loan. Went to bank of commerce and they said no problem. It felt so good telling the person at scotia to take a hike.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s been my experience that the treatment you get from a bank depends on how your financial solvency is. If you owe lots for your income level and come looking for anything, they’re pretty reluctant. If you’re in a strong position financially they fall all over themselves trying to get more business from you.
They base their decisions on the numbers. I too have had problems with bank staff, be it their attitude or poor service, and a quick conversation with the branch manager has almost always rectified the situation.

Top Bottom