Avy's happen in the trees too!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true, its a bit sketchy out there to say the least,

thanks for the post

saint_nick3

Reaction score
If want to see more videos where this one came from go here this came from the avalanche center here in Bozeman. Everytime an avalanche gets reported the avy guys go do an anaylsis of it, very interesting videos to watch.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which my wife has decided she want's to learn how to drive a sled. So we have been going out and she is learning the fine art of driving a sled out west of the Sundre, Caroline area and at our freinds farm. She has a bit of an issue with side hilling but that skill will come with time and so far she is still gung-hoe on learning and she even made the comment about buying a lighter sled for herself(do i have a deal for her!!!!). Any way this experience has been a lot of fun and (knock on wood) I will have a new riding partner. Great way to enjoy sledding without having to go to the mountains. she has admitted that riding a sled is much more than just sitting there and driving!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember is the trees can help stabilize the snow but the degree of slope in that video is the key. A lower slope will not break free like that..you can see when he rolls the camera down that is a steep little drainage and we hafto avoid places like that for the next while and maybe for the rest of this year...those challenging places are where I like to ride but I guess I am going to step back and ride the flats...better snow alot to make it fun..

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember is the trees can help stabilize the snow but the degree of slope in that video is the key. A lower slope will not break free like that..you can see when he rolls the camera down that is a steep little drainage and we hafto avoid places like that for the next while and maybe for the rest of this year...those challenging places are where I like to ride but I guess I am going to step back and ride the flats...better snow alot to make it fun..

that is very true dobir, key word is drainage well if the water drains there so would any sluff or slide, very good point, be safe and not greedy

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread - again stay away from terrain traps and if you are sitting watching a face being climbed be pointed the right way and make sure your sled is reliable and will fire up fast (all 98 Summit X owners note that last comment well!!!)

Top Bottom