Avy Course Questions

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, need some info on the avy courses. I want to take one this year before I go out sledding and need to know when they start, cost, what one needs to be prepared for with the course

Any information is much appreciated:beer:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+1 for Hangfire in Golden

As far as what you need, visit their website ,it gives you all the info you need, then if you still have any questions, call them.

HangFire Training | Avalanche Training For Sledders | Golden BC

Haven't experienced ZacsTracs myself but lots of people who have on here.

Biggest suggestion I have, is to stay away from Courses that are skier specific, stick with a sledder organized training program.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+1 for Hangfire in Golden

As far as what you need, visit their website ,it gives you all the info you need, then if you still have any questions, call them.

HangFire Training | Avalanche Training For Sledders | Golden BC

Haven't experienced ZacsTracs myself but lots of people who have on here.

Biggest suggestion I have, is to stay away from Courses that are skier specific, stick with a sledder organized training program.

I took the Zac's, can't say enough good about it.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did mine with Aaron and Ryan in Golden, was nice to get a sledders perspective forsure, especially after getting so many tips from Aaron on sledshot.com.

Would recommend Hangfire to anybody/everybody.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did mine with Aaron and Ryan in Golden, was nice to get a sledders perspective forsure, especially after getting so many tips from Aaron on sledshot.com.

Would recommend Hangfire to anybody/everybody.
True dat!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Hey guys, thanks for all the great comments about the classes!

Just a couple of quick notes about next season...Randy & I are currently working with the Alaska Avalanche Center, the American Avalanche Association and AIRE this summer. The intent is to improve and standardize sled specific curriculum for North America for this coming season.

Also expect to see changes to the CAC Avalanche Danger Scale and the AVALUATOR's Obvious Clues check list this year.

Interested in more info about these upgrades? Keep in touch with Zac's website and CLICK HERE to sign up for our newsletters.

Take the time to drop by the avy booth at the sled shows this fall.
Looks like we'll be at Edmonton, Calgary, Prince George and Saskatoon.

Take care guys and enjoy some summer sun!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Hey everyone, need some info on the avy courses. I want to take one this year before I go out sledding and need to know when they start, cost, what one needs to be prepared for with the course

Any information is much appreciated:beer:

Hi Dave, hope you are finding the info that you are looking for!
Here is a link to the CAC website for background on the AST 1 class and CAC recognized avalanche course providers: www.avalanche.ca/sled
We agree with the comments on this thread...choose an instructor with a sledding background.

========================
Your profile shows that you are from Red Deer.
We expect to host a special 2hr avy awareness session in Red Deer on November 16.
"Avalanche Accidents 2008-2010 - Are there patterns to prevention?"

Last season we invited Greg Johnson, a forecaster from the Canadian Avalanche Centre, to highlight patterns in the weather and snowpack that led to the deadly avalanches of 2008-09. We ran this program in Calgary and Edmonton and received great feedback from the sledders that attended!

While the snowpack layering was very different in 2009-2010 there were still significant patterns of weather and snowpack weaknesses that we can learn from to help us make safer decisions in the future.

Avalanche safety isn't about forecasting averages...it is about identifying 'What is UNUSUAL in our weather and snowpack this season? What is UNUSUAL about this slope?'

This session will be valuable for all sledders, those with or without prior avy training.

"Avalanche Accidents 2008-2010 - Are there patterns to Prevention?"
Calgary - November 15
Red Deer - November 16
Edmonton - November 17
Saskatoon - November 18

$20/pp
This program is supported by the Alberta Snowmobile Association, the Canadian Avalanche Centre, and Zac's Tracs.

We hope to have more information about this class as well as our other programs posted to our website soon.
Keep in touch as we will add more communities as details are confirmed.

Don't forget to sign up your buddies for the classes as well...remember they are the ones your life is depending on! ;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave, hope you are finding the info that you are looking for!
Here is a link to the CAC website for background on the AST 1 class and CAC recognized avalanche course providers: www.avalanche.ca/sled
We agree with the comments on this thread...choose an instructor with a sledding background.

========================
Your profile shows that you are from Red Deer.
We expect to host a special 2hr avy awareness session in Red Deer on November 16.
"Avalanche Accidents 2008-2010 - Are there patterns to prevention?"

Last season we invited Greg Johnson, a forecaster from the Canadian Avalanche Centre, to highlight patterns in the weather and snowpack that led to the deadly avalanches of 2008-09. We ran this program in Calgary and Edmonton and received great feedback from the sledders that attended!

While the snowpack layering was very different in 2009-2010 there were still significant patterns of weather and snowpack weaknesses that we can learn from to help us make safer decisions in the future.

Avalanche safety isn't about forecasting averages...it is about identifying 'What is UNUSUAL in our weather and snowpack this season? What is UNUSUAL about this slope?'

This session will be valuable for all sledders, those with or without prior avy training.

"Avalanche Accidents 2008-2010 - Are there patterns to Prevention?"
Calgary - November 15
Red Deer - November 16
Edmonton - November 17
Saskatoon - November 18

$20/pp
This program is supported by the Alberta Snowmobile Association, the Canadian Avalanche Centre, and Zac's Tracs.

We hope to have more information about this class as well as our other programs posted to our website soon.
Keep in touch as we will add more communities as details are confirmed.

Don't forget to sign up your buddies for the classes as well...remember they are the ones your life is depending on! ;)

Working hard at 2 AM in the morning, even in the summer.... Thanks Lori! :)

Is there a "maximum occupancy" on this? I forwarded to a bunch of people for registration, would like to know if there needs to be an "urgency to sign up" in my email?

Thanks

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hangfire Course here :)

I would choose them or Zacs hands down.

Hangfire does alot of field training and they use the beacon basin at Quartz Creek which is a great way to learn your beacon. Less class time, more field time. I think it depends which course fits your schedule and where you are.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Working hard at 2 AM in the morning, even in the summer.... Thanks Lori! :)

Is there a "maximum occupancy" on this? I forwarded to a bunch of people for registration, would like to know if there needs to be an "urgency to sign up" in my email?

Thanks

Hee,hee...yep you caught me. :p
Somehow the house and the phones are quieter at that time of day!

Please send out an invite to all sledders you know!
We have booked a larger meeting space but considering that it is only $20 for the whole evening I expect it to overfill again. (Like the Edmonton session last fall...thanks guys!)

542.jpg

Here is another reason for guys to sign up early.
This year we are having some fun with our at the courses. Sledders that register early :cool: will receive MORE free raffle tickets for Door Prizes than those that register late.
Free courses, backcountry gear, coupons, videos... whatever we can line up!
If they register at the door....they have to buy their raffle tickets! :(

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the magic number for the group rate?
I registered online and then seen the group rate offering.
Can I change that easily depending on how many friends sign up with me?

Do you have an idea of where this will be held in Calgary?

Thx

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a few Avy courses, myself and a buddy were really impressed with the Beacon Training Course with Lori Zac’s last season excellent info regarding all brands of beacons in search and recovery procedures. Definitely a little more to these gadgets then one thinks I found this especially true in a multiple burry situation. After this class I wondered how many of my riding buddies really knew how to use one properly.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
What is the magic number for the group rate?
I registered online and then seen the group rate offering.
Can I change that easily depending on how many friends sign up with me?

Do you have an idea of where this will be held in Calgary?

Thx

6 or more make a group.
Yes, we can make changes to the online registrations.

Register the other 5, accept the group registration rate for them. Include names of the group members in the comments and then email info@zacstracs.com with the invoice number or names of the rest of your group and we will adjust your registration. (Hope that made sense).

Facilities haven't been booked yet. Soon I hope. We will post the info once confirmed.
See you there!!

Top Bottom