Avoid lost lake

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very poor snowpack at the higher elevations. North & South Lost windblown,little snow and high avy risk. Here are a couple pics from today. Set off 2 smaller avys, both within 15 minutes of each other. Took some pics of the second slide.

Attachments

• S3600083.jpg
    S3600083.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 825
  • S3600084.jpg
    S3600084.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 825
  • S3600085.jpg
    S3600085.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 822

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those shears don't look that "small" to me. can you give us some more details of what happened and what triggered them. glad you made it out safe.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see a few thing that went wrong Iride that area a lot wow real lack of snow in there this year! for starters lost lake and yor creek is a big basin lots of rocks and shale so basicly the ground is like gian ball bearings when snow falls in that area, lack of snow but obvious signs of heavy windloading in the area wich is usual in the pincher creek area, smaller trigger points like the trees were it broke around and the small rocks. good thing there wasnt much more snow in there could have been real bad that area can get nasty glad everyone is all good thanks for the pics!

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those shears don't look that "small" to me. can you give us some more details of what happened and what triggered them. glad you made it out safe.
Guess it depends on what we compare it to. You can see the tracks in the second pic entering and exiting the slide, these were the 2 previous (lower) side hill passes. Third side hill pass (higher) tracks can be seen in first photo. Hill started to slide behind me after i was almost all the way across. Never felt a thing just looked back when i started to descend back down and seen the hill coming apart. Probably a good thing a person was sidehilling, not climbing up and down. We were in Lost a little earlier and made the choice to avoid any big climbs after looking at things and seeing that the snow was like sugar with a thin crust on top.

Manatee

Reaction score
Crazy stuff.
Thanks for the pics and the story about the Avy. Respect the conditions out there, guys and gals.
Have fun.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you report the slides to the CAC ? so they can factor them into the Avy reports and conditions?

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were in the area monday, definitely 2 crust formations sitting on sugar, should've taken a picture of it. it was so windy up top nearly blew the decals off my hood. remember boys and girls as to why the warm up shack was built down there. also does anyone remember?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were in the area monday, definitely 2 crust formations sitting on sugar, should've taken a picture of it. it was so windy up top nearly blew the decals off my hood. remember boys and girls as to why the warm up shack was built down there. also does anyone remember?

I have not heard this story...fill me in!??

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was built in memory of pincher creek search and rescue member that lost there lifes trying to help others . very sad .

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
Reminder

it was built in memory of pincher creek search and rescue member that lost there lifes trying to help others . very sad .

That very same hill you refer to came down again Sunday. Most snowmobilers avoid it, and use a trail lower down to get around it. This time it took out the lower trail in a couple places as well. That's where the second pic was taken. It was triggered by a skier. In the last 4 years I've seen a lot of skiers/boarders playing on it. There is a sign at the bottom warning that people have died here in avalanches. If you look at the pictures, and see all the trees you would think it is a safe hill, but it gets wind loaded.

Attachments

• 103_0823.jpg
    103_0823.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 103_0826.jpg
    103_0826.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 103_0825.jpg
    103_0825.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
Yes this is West Castle, but the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the question if anyone remembers why the warm up shelter was built. I guess I could have started a new thread. In any case, the avy danger is surprisingly high right now. Not a lot of snow, but some very unstable layers

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
understood, thanks. I've ridden by that area a few times and thought I recognized it, I was just trying to confirm where this SAR member lost thier life.

Thanks,

shawn

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the memory shack is in memory of a fallen member of S&R from pincher creek. my buddies were riding that meadow the day before the avy we as locals of castle know to stay off of it and try our best to be very careful around it when crossing under it. please be extra careful this weekend we were up salmo/creston every little sidehill on the trail was producing small little avy's from the weight of our sleds passing beside them down the trail gonna be a very dangerous weekend out there especially saturday! thanks for the pics that hill is so nasty when it slides

Top Bottom