Avalanches can Happen Anywhere--Here is Proof!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching this in amazement. One would think this is an unlikely slope for an avalanche to happen, lots of anchors, not a steep mountain face, etc...

Just goes to show you that avy's can happen on any slope, at any time.

YouTube - Caught in an AVALANCHE

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I watched this couple more times and noticed that there was a tree laying sideways which kind of acted like a snow fence and helped support that wind slab.

bcskier

Reaction score
Good video. I think this slope is quite a bit steeper than you think. I would estimate where it fractured it was getting close to 40° and it looks live a fairly significant convexity (roll over) just above where the guy got stuck. There are no,(or very few) mature coniferous trees on that slope only immature ones and small poplars, yet there is mature timber on either side. Hard to tell without seeing the big picture, but this slope might be the start zone of a slide path which may release quite frequently.

Looks like the people had a good handle on the situation, only one person on the slope and everyone else in a safe zone. Still it's always scary when you get an unexpected release :eek:

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I think it is steeper than it looks, but when i saw that on the avalanch thread i decided that the boys should bring our avi gear to swan this weekend. Two weeks ago we were on some stuff that looks very similar

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good video. I think this slope is quite a bit steeper than you think. I would estimate where it fractured it was getting close to 40° and it looks live a fairly significant convexity (roll over) just above where the guy got stuck. There are no,(or very few) mature coniferous trees on that slope only immature ones and small poplars, yet there is mature timber on either side. Hard to tell without seeing the big picture, but this slope might be the start zone of a slide path which may release quite frequently.

Looks like the people had a good handle on the situation, only one person on the slope and everyone else in a safe zone. Still it's always scary when you get an unexpected release :eek:

great points man,,,, those knolls or roll overs can load with huge amounts of snow very quickly with the right wind

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pictures and videos never do the steepness of a slope justice anyway. You raised some good points here bcskier, about the convexity and the anchors.

It is scary to think since we tend to play on areas that look very much like this. Staying away from the big mountain faces don't always guarantee safety.:(:(

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that is a bit sobering...6secs from when it let go to impact with the trees. The helmet cam angle really shows how you are at the mercy of the slide with those trees coming up like that. I would say he is pretty lucky he wasn't hurt worse or killed.

You should post that in the Snowmobile Chat section as it will get a lot more views. Good reminder especially this time of the year.

Thanks for posting!

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with Skegpro. Downed tree helped the convex roll load right up.
The mid range for steepness slopes are sometimes the ones you want to watch for. The real steep slopes usually release naturally during the storm cycle.

The downed tree would also give the slope a breaking point to propagate out from. Fairly significant looking crown 3-4 ft.(hard to tell in vid)

a.m.c

Reaction score
The hills you dont expect to slide are the ones that are going to go...
Steep slopes always slide, so its common sense to stay away, but even at a 25 degree slope, something you go up and barely notice, it will slide... good ol' gravity...

Top Bottom