Avalanche rescue near Kimberley

jasoncaville

Reaction score
I just came across this:

"TMTV has just received a report of a second avalanche in as many days in the Kootenays. This time involving snowmobilers. A rescue is underway near the east Kootenay town of Kimberley, in BC's southern interior. No word on any injuries or how many people are involved in the avalanche. On Friday morning an avalanche killed a skier near the Kootenay community of Kaslo"

BCTV KOOTENAYS  British Columbia Television Kootenays on line news

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found this about skiers but nothing on sleders

Two backcountry skiers were rescued after being caught in an avalanche near Kimberley, B.C., on Saturday afternoon, with one skier sustaining critical injuries.
At around 3 p.m., Kimberley Search and Rescue and B.C. Ambulance Service personnel were called to the Hellroaring Creek area after a male and female were caught in a slide.
“The pair used a spot beacon to send for help,” said search manager Wendy Hetherington.
The female did not have any noticeable injuries. The male sustained critical injuries.
Some circulating reports indicated he may have lost his arm in the slide, but Kimberley Search and Rescue could not confirm.
The area is a popular recreational spot especially with locals, Hetherington said, adding the pair are believed to be area residents.

Read more: Two skiers rescued after avalanche in B.C. backcountry

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they were in the hellroaring creek area, odds have it they used a sled to gain access. There are caribou closures back therewhich would explain the ski touring.

At the same time, I'm not sure what happened/where it happened, this is all speculation.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One burial, companion dug him out with injuries but alive. Currently in hospital in Cranbrook and will recover in time. Access by sled into the Hellroarin Branch F area but the slide hit while they were skiing.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that area has some pretty gnarly slide paths! brutal to hear about a big avy but good to hear the person will recover! I was in hellroaring area about a month back and wondering when some of those avy areas were gonna start letting go

Top Bottom