Avalanche Packs

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies :)

Been a long while!!! :D Just a quick question, do you guys wear the avalance packs? My bf just got one last yr and i tried it on the other day, i could barely stand it its pretty heavy!

Any suggestions for us smaller girls what to get? :)

Thanks!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i picked up a pack this spring.. you can buy some smaller backcountry ones. i got the snowpulse 10.. its not bad compared to ones like the abs 30! there a ton

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all heavy! :( I have worn the ABS Escape 15 for the last three years and wouldn't be without it even though it is gawd awful heavy! I do also keep everything that I may need to perform first aid as well as all of my survival gear in case I may need to stay on the mountain for a night or two if I had to! :eek: I have picked up the BCA Float 30 and it was just as heavy as mine! You could go with the smaller packs like the ABS Variante or the Freeride but then you are giving up valuable storage space! :shrug:

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok im going to have to test it out, i put my bf's on last night and kept it on for about an hr and i have bruises already on my shoulder :(

CoyoteGirl

Reaction score
I have the BCA float. I'll say this, I think it fits me fabulously, but I'm 5'10"! I also wear body armor and I think that helps distribute the weight on the shoulders.

The things I like about it:

The storage capacity is more than enough to carry all essential first aid, stay the night and emergency type of stuff that we need in the back country.

The soft frame keeps it solid on your back, doesn't allow it to slouch.

Shoulder and waist straps are adjustable to make a good fit. I noticed placement of the shoulder/chest strap drastically changed how the pack felt/hung.

Compression straps on the pack itself really helps the weight close to your body instead of hanging out there. If this doesn't makes sense let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Outside shovel pouch is a must.

It has a seperate goggle pocket that I have fallen in love with! lol

Has a zip up compartment for the pull cord for during storage and transport, so the cord doesn't get pulled accidentally.

It can be refilled by a dive shop at a minimal cost. Or you can buy your own dive tank and do it yourself when on extended trips.

They are all heavy, that is for sure. But I do think the Float might be to long/tall for a shorter torso.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! i am thinking so too, im only 5'2.... my bf bag actually comes down past my ass.. like i dont even know how i would sit on my sled with it. I think ill have a hard time finding one that suits me but i wont stop looking. Just have to try a bunch on.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a small framed girl I think you may have a problem finding to many options.

I think the ABS Freeride is probably your best bet for fit and weight but you will not have much for storage. If you carry as many of the essentials as you can in the pack and use a tunnel pack for the rest of your equipment you will be able to manage it all while keeping your pack light and small.

I know it's best to have your equipment on you in case you are seperated from sled, but Your better off having a pack than not.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's time to refresh this thread. What are all you ladies wearing for avalanche packs? My hubby and I both bought the BCA Float 30's this year. Only had a chance to wear it for one ride so far and find the weight is something I will have to get used to.....Love the room in the pack, and love the glove-friendly zipper pulls. Love that there is a separate compartment for the shovel and it accommodates the bigger scoop. The shovel handle and probe compartments are both fully enclosed which is a nice feature. No worries about losing them!!

Personally, I think having a pack is just added security.....like having an airbag in your vehicle....hopefully you will never need it but it's there if you do.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear the snowpulse 10... FYI, they come in short, med, and tall. The pack has just enough room for my shovel, probe, saw, and a bottle of water, and it is super light. They've even lightened them up more this year.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear the snowpulse 10... FYI, they come in short, med, and tall. The pack has just enough room for my shovel, probe, saw, and a bottle of water, and it is super light. They've even lightened them up more this year.

Really?? That I didnt know when i bought mine. Would have made sure I found tall haha though my pack seems to be decent size. Im modifying it so the shovel is on the outside, so probes, saw, food, and emergency gear all fits inside easily. I definately find it fairly light, i used to wear the klim nac pac and loaded up i think it may have been heavier ?? But so long as I have my straps set good, the snowpulse I hardly notice

This year snowpulse released the 15L.. that I think would be the happy medium (havent seen it to try on) as it is set up for shovel gear on outside, leaving good space inside. Weight would be the only factor.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really?? That I didnt know when i bought mine. Would have made sure I found tall haha though my pack seems to be decent size. Im modifying it so the shovel is on the outside, so probes, saw, food, and emergency gear all fits inside easily. I definately find it fairly light, i used to wear the klim nac pac and loaded up i think it may have been heavier ?? But so long as I have my straps set good, the snowpulse I hardly notice

This year snowpulse released the 15L.. that I think would be the happy medium (havent seen it to try on) as it is set up for shovel gear on outside, leaving good space inside. Weight would be the only factor.

I am sporting the Snowpulse Highmark 30 Tall bag to accomodate my Canon 5D Mark II with 70-300mm and 24-70mm lenses and battery grips inside a Dakine Mission camera bag. I had to go big to fit all the helmet cams, camera bodies and video camera inside. All loaded with probe and shovel, a spare pair of gloves, toque and flashlight is 27lbs.

When I put the pack on, it feels like I'm wearing a peice of plywood, but surprisingly it conforms nicely when riding and seems to be ergonomically engineered to distribute the weight load evenly. My only complaint is the width of the shoulder straps- I have bruises on the front of my arms/armpits after 7 days of riding that are very tender, especially when I'm turning the sled and it bites into my arms. I am hoping this is something I will get used to in time.

I used to wear my camera gear in a Lowepro backpack, but that meant my shovel and probe were in a bag on my sled tunnel. I wasn't happy with this safety compromise, so I got creative. Now I have safety for me and my camera all in one!!

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
I use the Snowpulse 15 and by the end of the day it's feeling pretty heavy but thats usually cuz I'm beat from riding! I try to keep heavier stuff in the sled and essentials in the pack.. it allows for a water bottle, a sweater, snacks, my shovel, probe, spare gloves... Overall, I really like the pack and it fits super snug and does the job :)

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My only complaint is the width of the shoulder straps- I have bruises on the front of my arms/armpits after 7 days of riding that are very tender, especially when I'm turning the sled and it bites into my arms. I am hoping this is something I will get used to in time.

Glad to hear you found an all around safety system Mamma! But I agree with the shoulder straps, after just one day of riding i had the same thing! I blame it somewhat on doing Clemina trail 3times in one day (it hadnt been groomed so was super rough).. when i tightend up the straps and adjusted its position on my back it was a lot better the next day. I wonder can you develop callouses on your shoulders?? lol

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got the ABS free ride and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Fits extra gloves, extra shirt, few little chocolate muchines and goggles... shovel and safety gear is all externally (and securely attached)/ Haven't weighed it but it fits like a dream so I don't notice ANY extra weight!! Last year both my BF and I had the BCA packs and had to sell ours cause we couldn't get them to fit right. i haven't had to mess with a THING on this ABS pack and it fits and functions GREAT!

Pulled the chord the other night and squealed like a little girl! Everyone make sure you do your practice pull no matter what pack you're running! gotta get used to location AND force of pull! and you should video it in case you squeal like I did! HOURS of entertainment for us!!

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RMX also makes the ABS vario pack with their own 14l cover that holds the handle, probe and shovel on the exterior of the pack. I think this is a great pack for us sledders :beer:

Top Bottom