Avalanche near Enderby

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sad to hear we have lost another member of our sledding family.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure i understand this statement. Are you saying avy gear is useless?

I read that post several times trying to understand but still not sure, coming from a club member and trail pass attendent I,m sure I must be misunderstanding it. Don't be reckless and stupid and put your family and friends through this kind of ordeal, WEAR THE GEAR!!!

Rocky Mountain Kamakazi

Reaction score
Anouther thing is if everybody has all the safety gear...people need to know how to used it all, and properly. I went to coarse last spring and learnt alot more than i thought there was to the beacon and how to to a probe line.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this accident...RIP

I know everyone that we ride with has a rule of thumb - if you don't have the basics (beacon, probe, shovel and know how to use it) you simply don't ride with us!! I keep a spare pack in my trailer that has all the basics...so there is never a problem. If there is a newbie in the group....we teach them how to use the gear before departing.

Everyone using the back country should have avalanche awareness and rescue training!!

HunterTrailGurl

Reaction score
this young man did not have a beacon so we had to do all searching by probe. avalanche gear should be mandatory!! a beacon could have saved him!! If you ride in the mountains, WEAR A BEACON!

EVERYONE is quick to jump on the band wagon OH YA BEACON A BEACON IS THE ANSWER.. sure.. Yes they are a helpful safety tool but they are still not THE ANSWER!!!.. IF they were.. 8 men would still be alive in Fernie. THEY ALL HAD ONE.. so wheres your arguement there??!?!?!?!?
ITS NOT FAILSAFE.your ignorant to think it is.. stuff happens.. probes and shovels of the survivors get lost in the avalanche People that are prepared still arent prepared when it happens. and to assume just because you have the equipment its all gonna be great happy ending.. not every avalanche has a textbook ending where.. everyone else just happens to be in the area with their beacons ready This is one scenerio and can not dictate for all. I get your upset you couldnt save Matt .Your angry that your efforts were in vein. He was doing what he loved. He knew the risks. HE played hard and fast ..your left to deal with the grief and frustration of if only he had a beacon.. and life is not fair.. BUT HE LIVED LIFE TO THE FULLEST . I wish you could find peace in that. and the what if or could have,should have.. isnt gonna change it.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EVERYONE is quick to jump on the band wagon OH YA BEACON A BEACON IS THE ANSWER.. sure.. Yes they are a helpful safety tool but they are still not THE ANSWER!!!.. IF they were.. 8 men would still be alive in Fernie. THEY ALL HAD ONE.. so wheres your arguement there??!?!?!?!?
ITS NOT FAILSAFE.your ignorant to think it is.. stuff happens.. probes and shovels of the survivors get lost in the avalanche People that are prepared still arent prepared when it happens. and to assume just because you have the equipment its all gonna be great happy ending.. not every avalanche has a textbook ending where.. everyone else just happens to be in the area with their beacons ready This is one scenerio and can not dictate for all. I get your upset you couldnt save Matt .Your angry that your efforts were in vein. He was doing what he loved. He knew the risks. HE played hard and fast ..your left to deal with the grief and frustration of if only he had a beacon.. and life is not fair.. BUT HE LIVED LIFE TO THE FULLEST . I wish you could find peace in that. and the what if or could have,should have.. isnt gonna change it.

I don't think anyone thinks they are a guaranteed safety blanket. I also think i speak for most when i say we don't think poorly of the fellow that passed away for not wearing one, only that on this particular day he made a poor decision. that is not an attack on the person. I have made many poor decisions. I have been fortunate that none have ended badly.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

An avalanche beacon is a great tool...not only to increase the chances to search for someone caught in a avalanche, but also to increase your chances of being found by your buddies if you are caught! Avalanche gear is only as good as the person wearing it. Firstly it must be worn properly - a beacon should be strapped to your person under the lowest possible layer of clothing - this will keep the batteries warmer, prolonging there life and will also lessen the chance of having it ripped from your body. It is useless if it is stuffed in a pocket of your jacket or pack. Wear your probe and shovel on your pack...where it is easily accessible and with you at all times - A probe and shovel attached to your buried sled will do you no good. Wear your pack at all times - even if it means that you have a couple extra pounds while you're trying to put the highest mark on the hill. Most of all...use common sense and check out the avalanche forecast before heading out...

Play Safe

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get the point your trying to make HunterTrailGurl. I think we all have to remember that the mountain does not care if we live or die. It has no feelings and does not care if we have kids, spouses, family, friends, how much gear
we have with us, or how much experience or knowledge we may have. We all should except the risk when we venture out in that beautiful country. We just need to take every precaution possible that the mountain that we all love does not kill us.

bcboy

Reaction score
sorry to here about this, but avi. gear works , i never leave home without a beacon under my fleece then a jacket then my ogio flackjacket built with a spot to put my shovel and probe. purchased but my loving girlfriend and family :d

u have to be smart when riding know your exits and smack people for highmarking about others that r stuck. i've smacked a few people.

cobbycat

Reaction score

I'm not saying that if he had a beacon he would be alive, I'm also not pissed that he didn't have one. maybe dissapointed. what I am saying is this: I got to the slide roughly 5 min after it happened. judging from where I entered the debris field and where we found him, I think I could have located him in under 2 minutes if he had a beacon. it probably would have taken the 7 of us on the scene approximately 15 minutes to dig him out as we were not tired yet. that is 22 minutes under the snow. the probe search took us 3 1/2 hours!! don't you think that he would have had a better chance with the 22 minutes? don't you think the rescuers would have rather searched under the looming cornice that was ready to come down for the 22 minutes instead of the 3 1/2 hours? I'm still not saying he would be alive, but doesn't that make sense? I know we can't change what happened that horrible day but maybe my "what ifs" will save the next guy!

and by the way, the guys in fernie knew the risks as they had the education! they gave their lives in an attempt to save their brothers. they knowingly jumped into a dangerous situation to save their brothers, just as we did to try and save matt's life, and they unfortunately paid with their lives.

Top Bottom