Avalanche near Enderby

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche in B.C. backcountry traps snowmobiler; two others survive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 21:23 on January 11, 2009, EDT.
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

ENDERBY, B.C. - At least one snowmobiler has been trapped by an avalanche in the British Columbia Interior.

The RCMP says three people were snowmobiling on Mara Mountain, northeast of Enderby, when the avalanche struck Sunday afternoon.

Two snowmobilers were able to get themselves out, but the pair had to leave a third person behind.

Vernon RCMP spokesman Gordon Molendyk says search-and-rescue teams have been sent to the area, and they'll assess whether it's safe to search on Monday morning.

The police aren't releasing any details about the missing man or the two survivors.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche in B.C. backcountry traps snowmobiler; two others survive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 21:23 on January 11, 2009, EDT.
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

ENDERBY, B.C. - At least one snowmobiler has been trapped by an avalanche in the British Columbia Interior.

The RCMP says three people were snowmobiling on Mara Mountain, northeast of Enderby, when the avalanche struck Sunday afternoon.

Two snowmobilers were able to get themselves out, but the pair had to leave a third person behind.

Vernon RCMP spokesman Gordon Molendyk says search-and-rescue teams have been sent to the area, and they'll assess whether it's safe to search on Monday morning.

The police aren't releasing any details about the missing man or the two survivors.
hope those guys didnt panic and just take off without tryin to get there buddy:nono:

SAVAGE420

Reaction score
Website
www.bansheehq.com
So i just talked to my buddy and he just got back from hunters range and they were digging for him all afternoon and i think he said they pulled him out (he had to go so i dint get all the info) ....i guess he was stuck on a climb and then some other guy hy-marked over him and the whole hill let loose. I guess the guy that hy-marked over him got outa the way. Sad....

And yes it was hunters.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i just talked to my buddy and he just got back from hunters range and they were digging all afternoon and i think he said they pulled him out (he had to go so i dint get all the info) ....i guess he was stuck on a climb and then some other guy hy-marked over him and the whole hill let loose. I guess the guy that hy-marked over him got outa the way. Sad....

And yes it was hunters.
Sad that people keep ignoring the warnings and put themselves and any others that may have to go to their aid in danger........I'm tired of sending condolences. Anyone else?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here we go again..rest in peace man..I know we are all doing what we love but enough high marking, stay out of the basins, sorry to hear this..

HunterTrailGurl

Reaction score
THIS kid was an Enderby local through and through.. HE KNEW THIS MOUNTAIN!! THIS was his backyard 4 seasons of the year
Factual or not ALL THE GEAR in the world doesnt matter, useless when lost in the slide....Fernie is a prime example. When theres nothing left to use what good was it.But to say you were prepared and you brought it along.

cobbycat

Reaction score
I was there and it was a truly sad day!

would like to thank all searchers for their hard work. kudos

my best to family and friends

cobbycat

Reaction score
So i just talked to my buddy and he just got back from hunters range and they were digging for him all afternoon and i think he said they pulled him out (he had to go so i dint get all the info) ....i guess he was stuck on a climb and then some other guy hy-marked over him and the whole hill let loose. I guess the guy that hy-marked over him got outa the way. Sad....

And yes it was hunters.

it happened 7-9 min ride from owlshead cabin. happened on the backside of superbowl, on the lookout hill.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
:(... Yes, Very sad AGAIN ! :( May the Young Man R.I.P Now. A sport we All together enjoy so much & equally share in sorrow when we have a loss ! :(

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THIS kid was an Enderby local through and through.. HE KNEW THIS MOUNTAIN!! THIS was his backyard 4 seasons of the year
Factual or not ALL THE GEAR in the world doesnt matter, useless when lost in the slide....Fernie is a prime example. When theres nothing left to use what good was it.But to say you were prepared and you brought it along.

Not sure i understand this statement. Are you saying avy gear is useless?

cobbycat

Reaction score
Not sure i understand this statement. Are you saying avy gear is useless?

this young man did not have a beacon so we had to do all searching by probe. avalanche gear should be mandatory!! a beacon could have saved him!! If you ride in the mountains, WEAR A BEACON!

Top Bottom