avalanche fatalitys..Golden Feb 19

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Condolences to the Families of the victims.

I just realized that I have a picture of that slope as my desktop background on my computer. It shows a little different angle of the slope.

Attachments

• PC040003.jpg
    PC040003.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 552

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without sounding insensitive I would like to say, as an eyewitness, that people that weren't there, while having valid assumptions of this event, should keep them to themselves. Pointing fingers just isn't needed right now. I agree with taking something from a situation like this, but let's do just that, keep the blame game to a private discussion if you need to talk about it.

I think you are absolutly right. This is not the time nor the place to discuss this. These men need to be remembered and mourned. These families need our support. Let's give it to them. I for one am keeping them in my thoughts and prayers as I'm sure many of you are. Let this be a place to remember these fallen men and the heros that assisted in the rescue.

Robbin

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a breathtaking photo....... Did you take that, maierch?

Yep... with my little Olympus Point and shoot. It was taken in early December in the late afternoon. The picture doesn't really do it justice!

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. However if there are lessons to be learned that might prevent something like this from happening again, it needs to be discussed in open so that the info gets out.

Not right now it doesn't. Have respect for the families and layoff the prevent it from happening again chit everyone's aware of the conditions and hey when you ride sleds in the mountians there is risk live with it or sell your sled and sit at home. One things forsure they passed doing something they loved we should all be so lucky.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
A heartfelt thank you to all those involved in the rescue efforts. You are all truly heros. Our son is doing alright physically but the emotional wounds of this tragedy will take time to heal. He is forever greatful to those who risked their lives and took the time to know how to effectively and efficiently use their rescue equipment. The efforts here were 2nd to none. Words simply cannot express out gratitude. We would love to contact you all once we can gather our thoughts.
We would also like to express our appreciation for all the kind words, support and condolences extended to our family and friends. Having been a part of the snowmobiling community for many years, I do understand the bond we all share.

Sincerley
A very thankful Mom and Son

P.S. Sometimes, despite the best of efforts, not all details published are 100% accurate and mere photos can be deceiving. Please trust that these men knew their sport and the "rules" of the back-country well. I truly hope that all those reading and posting here will think carefully and with compassion when posting. We will continue to read the postings here as there is comfort in knowing our grief is shared and the memories of our loved ones are honoured. Thank you

This post should be a top priority post on the top of all threads!

RKNIGHT please see what you can do?

Put on top of all!

MANY CONDOLENCES AND IF WE AS S$M MEMBERS CAN ASSIST WITH ANYTHING PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Sincerely Richard and Kim.......

DragonH

Reaction score
Without sounding insensitive I would like to say, as an eyewitness, that people that weren't there, while having valid assumptions of this event, should keep them to themselves. Pointing fingers just isn't needed right now. I agree with taking something from a situation like this, but let's do just that, keep the blame game to a private discussion if you need to talk about it.

To both families: My sincerest condolences to both families.

To everyone else: Having been a part of the same riding group as renegade_of_funk, I also witnessed this event. While I agree that this is not the time nor the place to be pointing fingers, there are a few lessons that I've taken from this event that have nothing to do with the avalanche conditions and do not involve any finger pointing.

#1 - To follow up on Flange99's post, get as far from the runout as you think you need to be, then go farther and find some higher ground if possible. We were sitting at a spot that was above the terrain trap at what we thought was a safe distance. Although we got out of the way, the place we were sitting was partially covered by the runout.

#2 - If your sled has a tether kill switch, do not attach it to yourself and do not disconnect it when you are parked. Another from our group has a sled with a tether and he was using it at the time. He had parked and disconnected it. As a result he could not immediately start his sled and watched as we all took off. He ended up buried up to his mid-thigh and his sled was buried up to the head light.

I know many of you already are aware these. This is not an invitation for criticism or know-it-all-ism. I am merely trying to highlight these personal lessons for those who may be able to take something from them since I think #1 was a major factor in the Turbo slide last march as well.

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
My Condolences to the Families of the victims.

I just realized that I have a picture of that slope as my desktop background on my computer. It shows a little different angle of the slope.

Wow ........ nice picture. I go sledding for many reasons. Views like that are one of the most important reasons I freeze, get real tired, drive on bad roads at all hours of the morning and night as well as take a certain amount of risk. Well done !

Lets be extra safe out there !

Gebhardt92

Reaction score
thats the one reason i dont like hope.. we allways call it " hope you get out"

but still my condolances to friends and familys.

and for a speedy recovery for the injured!

p.s. does anyone wanna jump throught the comp and bash the heads of the comments on the arcical from that go gooders that sit at home and judge people for what that do..

I would LOOOVEE to bash some heads of the city folk who have never seen a sled with their own eyes and yet think they have the right to bash all riders and write synical comments about things they have never witnessed in their life before. one man commented on the cbc website about the avy, calling those great men 'blue collared boneheads'. just discusting how one can stereotype and downsize/belittle a dead man. hope they feel "big" in their own weird little way. Sorry for the rant.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is too bad that these people don't think longer about the consequences of their actions before they do it. Not only are they putting their own lives in jeopardy, they are also putting the rescuers lives in jeopardy everytime they partake in these activities. All of this for a "high mark" on a snow covered mountain. While it is extremely sad that several people have lost their lives doing this sport, they also leave behind a painful reminder to the people who cared for and loved them, and those are the ones who have to deal with the tragedy on a daily basis.
Surely the thrill of this cannot be worth the end result, especially when that result is tragic.

We all do it for the enjoyment of the outdoors, the friendships and bonds, the memories, and the rush of riding, not just for the "highmark", which shows YOUR lack of knowledge of OUR sport.

The families and friends that care for and love the members of this sport, know that if we die sledding, we died doing something we love, and we will never regret a day of it.

Its too bad that there are some narrow minded individuals in this world who take joy in other peoples pain, too many people concerned with how others are living their lives, and to scared to live their own.

Die doing something, or live doing nothing.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is too bad that these people don't think longer about the consequences of their actions before they do it. Not only are they putting their own lives in jeopardy, they are also putting the rescuers lives in jeopardy everytime they partake in these activities. All of this for a "high mark" on a snow covered mountain. While it is extremely sad that several people have lost their lives doing this sport, they also leave behind a painful reminder to the people who cared for and loved them, and those are the ones who have to deal with the tragedy on a daily basis.
Surely the thrill of this cannot be worth the end result, especially when that result is tragic.
Do you think the same about Heli-Skiers, backcountry telemarking skiers, Mountain Climbers, Hang Gliders, Sky Divers, hikers, mountain bikers? Isn't anything that requires search and rescue risky? What makes sledders any different. Any of the activities I discussed carry risk, some more than sledding. How many mountain climbers have to be rescued every year? Isn't pretty much every tragic event a situation that IN HINDSIGHT could have been avoided? Hindsight is 20/20, but people like you and those ignorant judgemental persons on CBC and other sites think you have all the answers and like nothing better than to point fingers at other people. When YOU have an event that could have been avoided, and don't think it won't happen, because it happens to everyone, you better hope that people cut you more slack than you cut others. People are imperfect, ALL of us. If we all stick to activities that carry NO RISK, we may as well quit living.

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sad that someone has no life and needs to create an account on snow and mud just to lay rotten eggs.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple more pics showing the severity of this tragic event! With the warm temps coming again, the slopes will become dangerous soon, please play it safe peeps. Condolences to the families involved!

Attachments

• guid-8bdc3aba-025c-4bd1-8908-ee71b1e8ed49.jpg
    guid-8bdc3aba-025c-4bd1-8908-ee71b1e8ed49.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 463
  • P2050146.jpg
    P2050146.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 460

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think the same about Heli-Skiers, backcountry telemarking skiers, Mountain Climbers, Hang Gliders, Sky Divers, hikers, mountain bikers? Isn't anything that requires search and rescue risky? What makes sledders any different. Any of the activities I discussed carry risk, some more than sledding. How many mountain climbers have to be rescued every year? Isn't pretty much every tragic event a situation that IN HINDSIGHT could have been avoided? Hindsight is 20/20, but people like you and those ignorant judgemental persons on CBC and other sites think you have all the answers and like nothing better than to point fingers at other people. When YOU have an event that could have been avoided, and don't think it won't happen, because it happens to everyone, you better hope that people cut you more slack than you cut others. People are imperfect, ALL of us. If we all stick to activities that carry NO RISK, we may as well quit living.

Well said, Just wanted to add “Coast Guard” to the mix, Might want to check out the rescues/ losses and other events in that family past time. It will put things in perspective very quickly. I would love to go any time understanding the risks and the reward as I think (fargineyesore) would as well. Maybe (fargineyesore) would have no idea of the Risks they would be exposed to but you can bet when the shet hits the fan due to their lack of judgement or the unexpected they will be screaning on he VHF for Help. I pay my taxes and I asure you help is on the way. Sorry you won't make the news? to common of an event to make the news!

Thankful Mom

Reaction score

You are so right! Because of your extreme wisdom I am certain the world will quit consuming McDonald's, quit driving to work, quit working in risky jobs, quit all sports etc. In fact I bet we will all quit living and just exist.

Furthermore, Norbert worked in the oilpatch and farmed all his life (both extremely risky occupations). How dare he take those risks to put food on YOUR table, fuel in YOUR car and heat in YOUR home. He could have been seriously injured or killed doing so and put rescuers in harms way....But I suppose that is acceptable because it benefits you?

When you pass, I am certain your friends and family will remember you for being the truly pompous a$$ you are. To create an acct and disrespect the fallen and their families in this manner is a demonstration of your severe lack of respect and couth. Just a suggestion here but perhaps you may want to get off your soap box and quit judging everyone else..look in your own back yard.

My apologies to the remainder of the respectful S&M members for this post.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are so right! Because of your extreme wisdom I am certain the world will quit consuming McDonald's, quit driving to work, quit working in risky jobs, quit all sports etc. In fact I bet we will all quit living and just exist.

Furthermore, Norbert worked in the oilpatch and farmed all his life (both extremely risky occupations). How dare he take those risks to put food on YOUR table, fuel in YOUR car and heat in YOUR home. He could have been seriously injured or killed doing so and put rescuers in harms way....But I suppose that is acceptable because it benefits you?

When you pass, I am certain your friends and family will remember you for being the truly pompous a$$ you are. To create an acct and disrespect the fallen and their families in this manner is a demonstration of your severe lack of respect and couth. Just a suggestion here but perhaps you may want to get off your soap box and quit judging everyone else..look in your own back yard.

My apologies to the remainder of the respectful S&M members for this post.

Hi Mom! Just want to say good for you for sticking to what you believe in and not listening to the negative garbage posts! Some people do not know what the word respect means today. Keep it real girl and stay tough! The world is lacking of tough people these days. Couch potatoes need not post here as they don't fit the bill on a sight like this.... Peace out Momma :)

Top Bottom