avalanche fatalitys..Golden Feb 19

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was one of the group of six that saw it happen, and were first on the scene to start the rescue efforts. If anyone here knows the families of the victims, they need to know that there were many very brave, and very motivated people out there trying to save their loved ones. Everyone on the rescue mission did an absolutely amazing job, and not one person held anything back. There was no confusion and the rescue efforts were very organized and fast. We found all four guys almost instantly and started digging them out. I don't know how many people were out there helping, but it seemed like there were around 20+ guys. Every one of them is a hero and should feel proud that we saved a life that day. Without all of their efforts there wouldn't have been any survivors. I have been thinking about it constantly since it happened, and I always seem to think about how so many people were able to organize that well and put such an amazing effort together to get these guys out of there. My prayers and condolences are going out to the families and the communities of the guys we helped out. They are going through hell right now, and I hope this message can get to them somehow. They deserve to know that nothing was spared in the rescue, and there were so many people out there working together to save people they didn't even know. Thank you to all who risked their own lives to try and save these 4, you all did such an amazing job. You should all feel proud that you saved a life out there.

Shankster from this site, it was his wifes Uncle and Cousin that were the father/son, I just found this out today...My condolences go out to them now..and I personally want to thank you and the others for all you guys did!...RIP..fellow sledders.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolences to the families, our thoughts and prayers are with you

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family and friends of those that perished. It makes me very sad to hear about this accident.

I almost perished a few years ago after a wreck at the top of a mountain. If it were not for some great guys (that I did not know other than sledding with them for an hour) who rode their sleds to where they could phone 911 for SAR to arrange for my recovery, I might not be here today. I was very lucky that I was choppered off the mountain 3.5 hours after my accident. I am not sure I would have made it out of there without the support of a good friend, 2 volunteer sledders, 1 911 opperator, some RCMP officers, 2 S&R members, 1 chopper pilot and many more people who helped in some way shape or fashion. I found out later that the S&R guys were volunteers. There is no way my family and I can thank all these people enough.

It is good to see that there are good people out there that will band together during an emergency and work like professionals. You guys are all heros.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are family members of two of the victims. We are using the account of one of the victims. On behalf of both families we are so thankful and grateful of all the efforts that were done to try and save our family members. There are no words to express the appreciation we feel. We would also like to thank anyone who helped out on the hill, search and rescue, police, hospital staff the coronor and anyone else that was invoived over the last two days. We feel that every effort was made to try and save them, and afterwards everyone was so caring and concerned to help us through a terrible situation.
Very sad for your loss.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad for your loss.

X2....sincerest condolences to all involved! I posted this on another area under snowmbiling and it should have been here....just my 2 cents...

My wife and I drove down to Fort Macleod yesterday to pick up a dog we purcahsed and heard the news about the Avy's on the radio. It was then that she told me that our spring ride was cancelled again...she couldn't understand why any man would put themselves or their kids/friends at risk doing what we so called loved! About an hour later we were around Nanton/Claresholm or thereabouts and the sun was shining on the mountians in the distance...she then piped up and said, "oh my god isn't that beautiful!" to whcih I said, "well imagine yourself in one of those mountian ranges on a clear day with your closest friends and family seeing what only others will see in books. Up at the top on a clear day looking down into the valleys!" I rest my case....!!!! RIP fellow sledders.....

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
condolences to the family.
and i will keep my opinions to myself on this one. but judging from the pics of the area on the news. you dont need to be an avy expert on this one.
thoughts and prayers to the family.
and come on guys lets open our eyes before this happens again. we have been doing well as sledders this year as far as avys go but his one really makes us look stupid in the publics eye imo.

shellnekov

Reaction score
condolences to the family.
and i will keep my opinions to myself on this one. but judging from the pics of the area on the news. you dont need to be an avy expert on this one.
thoughts and prayers to the family.
and come on guys lets open our eyes before this happens again. we have been doing well as sledders this year as far as avys go but his one really makes us look stupid in the publics eye imo.

I agree , does anyone know what happened. We need to learn from these tragedies. One person is too much, let alone three.Were they helping out a stuck sled, sitting in path????

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , does anyone know what happened. We need to learn from these tragedies. One person is too much, let alone three.Were they helping out a stuck sled, sitting in path????/QUOTE]

There are a couple of users on this forum who would get all upset if you discuss the facts about this... especially if it was negative, so it's best that we dont...

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I see your point, and know exactly what your talking about, as I been there too. Watching an entire face come down in front of me, knowing that there was nothing I could do, it was too late for, " woulda, coulda, shoulda". We lost a great guy that day.

Having said that, ignoring it, never solved anything. If there's one thing I learned from that experience, it's educating never hurt anybody. I don't want to point fingers or search for blame, or even want to know what exactly happened. I would just like to ask for help from anyone who can provide it, in reading this avalanche/mountain face.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from this pic and the footage on the news, it looks as though the face had many transitions. As well as some gully terrain traps at the bottom. Apparently the avalanche conditions were not high ( from the report I got anyway, not to say that this is correct). There appears to be a good spot to spectate a fair distance away from the base of the face. I believe there is a 20 degree rule or something, if your at an angle of 20 degrees from where your standing to where the peak of the face is, your generally safe.

Please, if you see anything that I missed or may have incorrect, or HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE ideas, add to this. Again, all I want to accomplish here is education in order to create prevention. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, I just want to help those who don't know what to look out for, and pick up as many things as I can that I never thought of, to keep myself and crew safe.

Sorry for your losses.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, may we learn something useful from this and take it forward. Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the four that were involved were the only four there when the slide occurred. So I am thinking the details won't be coming anytime soon, they have the funeral on Monday so just give it time people...Like any slide there is a trigger, and a run out if you have anything to do with either of those its not going to be a good day...RIP..sledders.

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
I see your point, and know exactly what your talking about, as I been there too. Watching an entire face come down in front of me, knowing that there was nothing I could do, it was too late for, " woulda, coulda, shoulda". We lost a great guy that day.

Having said that, ignoring it, never solved anything. If there's one thing I learned from that experience, it's educating never hurt anybody. I don't want to point fingers or search for blame, or even want to know what exactly happened. I would just like to ask for help from anyone who can provide it, in reading this avalanche/mountain face.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from this pic and the footage on the news, it looks as though the face had many transitions. As well as some gully terrain traps at the bottom. Apparently the avalanche conditions were not high ( from the report I got anyway, not to say that this is correct). There appears to be a good spot to spectate a fair distance away from the base of the face. I believe there is a 20 degree rule or something, if your at an angle of 20 degrees from where your standing to where the peak of the face is, your generally safe.

Please, if you see anything that I missed or may have incorrect, or HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE ideas, add to this. Again, all I want to accomplish here is education in order to create prevention. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, I just want to help those who don't know what to look out for, and pick up as many things as I can that I never thought of, to keep myself and crew safe.

Sorry for your losses.

I too feel sorry for the losses. As others have stated we need to balance being sensitive to all concerned with the need to learn to avoid similar events.
I too have made mistakes in risk management and luckily haven't paid for it to the extent I might have deserved.

The one thing that does occur to me is that when 4 people get buried, particularly 4 in a group of 4, fundamental mistakes were made. 2 people climbing at once with 2 people watching in the run out zone is a mistake. How often do we see this happening? How often have we been guilty of it? I for one will be more careful. Hopefully we all will.

Flange99

Reaction score
My understanding is that the four that were involved were the only four there when the slide occurred. So I am thinking the details won't be coming anytime soon, they have the funeral on Monday so just give it time people...Like any slide there is a trigger, and a run out if you have anything to do with either of those its not going to be a good day...RIP..sledders.

There was another group of 6 riders in the immediate area that witnessed the slide. The eyewitness reports indicated that the slide seemed to start slow, like they all do, but when the wave of snow came over that first ledge about 2/3rds the way up, it looked like it was travelling 100 mph. Height of the wave was judged to be about 3-4 times the height of the guys that got hit at the bottom. Imagine getting hit by a house travelling 100 mph.

That mountain is massive. Obviously you just can't sit at the bottom of something like that. If you have to be in a spot like that, pick what you think is a safe distance, then add another 50% to that, and your chances of making it home increase significantly.

Thankful Mom

Reaction score
A heartfelt thank you to all those involved in the rescue efforts. You are all truly heros. Our son is doing alright physically but the emotional wounds of this tragedy will take time to heal. He is forever grateful to those who risked their lives and took the time to know how to effectively and efficiently use their rescue equipment. The efforts here were 2nd to none. Words simply cannot express our gratitude. We would love to contact you all once we can gather our thoughts.
We would also like to express our appreciation for all the kind words, support and condolences extended to our family and friends. Having been a part of the snowmobiling community for many years, I do understand the bond we all share.

Sincerley
A very thankful Mom and Son

P.S. Sometimes, despite the best of efforts, not all details published are 100% accurate and mere photos can be deceiving. Please trust that these men knew their sport and the "rules" of the back-country well. I truly hope that all those reading and posting here will think carefully and with compassion when posting. We will continue to read the postings here as there is comfort in knowing our grief is shared and the memories of our loved ones are honoured. Thank you

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the four that were involved were the only four there when the slide occurred. So I am thinking the details won't be coming anytime soon, they have the funeral on Monday so just give it time people...Like any slide there is a trigger, and a run out if you have anything to do with either of those its not going to be a good day...RIP..sledders.[/Q

Time and respect for the families involved. I'm sure the story will be told in time. The pic of the hill says volumes.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too feel sorry for the losses. As others have stated we need to balance being sensitive to all concerned with the need to learn to avoid similar events.
I too have made mistakes in risk management and luckily haven't paid for it to the extent I might have deserved.

The one thing that does occur to me is that when 4 people get buried, particularly 4 in a group of 4, fundamental mistakes were made. 2 people climbing at once with 2 people watching in the run out zone is a mistake. How often do we see this happening? How often have we been guilty of it? I for one will be more careful. Hopefully we all will.

New adaptation to our riding after looking at situations over the past few years no HM's after 3:00 and it seems the north slopes are the worst with sun in late afternoon. I think Harvey was north face, Boulder, and this one in Hope. Play safe out there, There's alot of snow and chit can happen fast.:d

Thankful Mom

Reaction score
A heartfelt thank you to all those involved in the rescue efforts. You are all truly heros. Our son is doing alright physically but the emotional wounds of this tragedy will take time to heal. He is forever greatful to those who risked their lives and took the time to know how to effectively and efficiently use their rescue equipment. The efforts here were 2nd to none. Words simply cannot express out gratitude. We would love to contact you all once we can gather our thoughts.
We would also like to express our appreciation for all the kind words, support and condolences extended to our family and friends. Having been a part of the snowmobiling community for many years, I do understand the bond we all share.

Sincerley
A very thankful Mom and Son

P.S. Sometimes, despite the best of efforts, not all details published are 100% accurate and mere photos can be deceiving. Please trust that these men knew their sport and the "rules" of the back-country well. I truly hope that all those reading and posting here will think carefully and with compassion when posting. We will continue to read the postings here as there is comfort in knowing our grief is shared and the memories of our loved ones are honoured. Thank you

Reaction score
Without sounding insensitive I would like to say, as an eyewitness, that people that weren't there, while having valid assumptions of this event, should keep them to themselves. Pointing fingers just isn't needed right now. I agree with taking something from a situation like this, but let's do just that, keep the blame game to a private discussion if you need to talk about it.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without sounding insensitive I would like to say, as an eyewitness, that people that weren't there, while having valid assumptions of this event, should keep them to themselves. Pointing fingers just isn't needed right now. I agree with taking something from a situation like this, but let's do just that, keep the blame game to a private discussion if you need to talk about it.

I agree to a point. However if there are lessons to be learned that might prevent something like this from happening again, it needs to be discussed in open so that the info gets out.

Top Bottom