Avalanche Air Bag

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Test fired off my float 30 on the weekend at the house. Took about 20 minutes to see signs of deflating.

IE, of the 70% of people still alive after an avanche about 60-70% of those survivors are already dead.

THe bag deflating should not be considered viable even when it's not designed to deflate and provide air space/air.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IE, of the 70% of people still alive after an avanche about 60-70% of those survivors are already dead.

Huh? "Dead" survivors? :eek:

I have a Snowpulse and my son has an ABS. I've worn them both and there are things I like and dislike about both. Thankfully never had to deploy either one. Check out the features on all of them and make your decision. They all work on the same principle so the most important thing is to have it, and wear it. :d

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh? "Dead" survivors? :eek:

I have a Snowpulse and my son has an ABS. I've worn them both and there are things I like and dislike about both. Thankfully never had to deploy either one. Check out the features on all of them and make your decision. They all work on the same principle so the most important thing is to have it, and wear it. :d

Besides my horrible spelling of avalanche, it makes sense.

~30% die from trauma. Of those survivors avoiding trauma (survivors), 60-70% would be dead within 20 minutes using a exponential scale and 50% at 15minutes.

Help?

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One with a bottle of liquid helium would be nice. Once you deploy it, you simply exhaust a bit of helium when you are floating too high!!:d

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

~30% die from trauma. Of those survivors avoiding trauma (survivors), 60-70% would be dead within 20 minutes using a exponential scale and 50% at 15minutes.

Help?

I got it the first time....it just sounded hilarious! :)

Trauma protection is one of the things I like about my Snowpulse. Location of the trip handle is one of the things I like better about my sons ABS. Like I said...gotta check 'em all out for yourself and decide.

I'm really liking the Helium idea!!!

Zig Zag

Reaction score

Help?

I got the snowpulse but hey what he says so long as you got one and are confident it will do the job

:beer::d

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
ABS for the reasons below.

- two bags so if one is blown from hitting something you still have one left to keep you up.
- nitrogen charged which fills more consistent that compressed air in cold and at elevation
-charge in the handle over cable actuated in the float or snowpulse. Means you do not have to pull as hard or as long to engage
-abs has a zip in pack system allowing you to have two or more size packs to fit your main abs system, abs owns the rights and so snowpulse will not have this next year...

-no bag will protect you from trauma... this is the reason helmets are not made out of the bag material...
-the packs that abs are not up to snuff for the price but consider what some have done...take your favorite pack and have a specialty place cut off those straps and add a zipper which allows you to zip it into the abs system..
-the canisters are just picked up at a shop $25.00 for a new handle and canister on the abs, next year you will see the carbon canister from abs, half the weight...
-abs also has the remote triggers meaning you can trigger your buddies bag...

all the bags are nice but when you compare the differences abs is hands down the best...

the float bag is tiny and the whole pack is big and heavy.The snowpulse pull cord is well up too high and I think would be hard to pull in a dire situation...try them all on and choose...they are expensive so make sure you get the one that is ideal for you...and practise practise pulling that handle!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

- two bags so if one is blown from hitting something you still have one left to keep you up.
- nitrogen charged which fills more consistent that compressed air in cold and at elevation
-charge in the handle over cable actuated in the float or snowpulse. Means you do not have to pull as hard or as long to engage
-abs has a zip in pack system allowing you to have two or more size packs to fit your main abs system, abs owns the rights and so snowpulse will not have this next year...

-no bag will protect you from trauma... this is the reason helmets are not made out of the bag material...
-the packs that abs are not up to snuff for the price but consider what some have done...take your favorite pack and have a specialty place cut off those straps and add a zipper which allows you to zip it into the abs system..
-the canisters are just picked up at a shop $25.00 for a new handle and canister on the abs, next year you will see the carbon canister from abs, half the weight...
-abs also has the remote triggers meaning you can trigger your buddies bag...

all the bags are nice but when you compare the differences abs is hands down the best...

the float bag is tiny and the whole pack is big and heavy.The snowpulse pull cord is well up too high and I think would be hard to pull in a dire situation...try them all on and choose...they are expensive so make sure you get the one that is ideal for you...and practise practise pulling that handle!

I agree with everything you said, and that's the reason I paid the premium to go with ABS Vario. Not to mention factual third party tests and a excellent history and resume regarding past tests and designs.

I pay for quality and dependability. At the end of the day, is my life worth a few hundred in savings?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the float bag is tiny and the whole pack is big and heavy.

I dont know off of the top of my head what the volume of the other packs airbags are but the float 30 has a 150litre air bag. As for being big and heavy over all i have had many people in my shop this season who have said that the float 30 is lighter and designed alot more in a sledder freindly fashion. I dont remeber which brand it was but a buddy of mine jumped off of the ramp for his truck deck and landed on the ground, didn;t snag trigger and the bag went off. I have heard of quite a few ones like this this past season. I want the trigger to be quite easy to pull and such but i also dont want it goin off when i dont want it to.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the float bag is tiny and the whole pack is big and heavy.

I dont know off of the top of my head what the volume of the other packs airbags are but the float 30 has a 150litre air bag. As for being big and heavy over all i have had many people in my shop this season who have said that the float 30 is lighter and designed alot more in a sledder freindly fashion. I dont remeber which brand it was but a buddy of mine jumped off of the ramp for his truck deck and landed on the ground, didn;t snag trigger and the bag went off. I have heard of quite a few ones like this this past season. I want the trigger to be quite easy to pull and such but i also dont want it goin off when i dont want it to.

The only way an ABS would be triggered is with something pulling the trigger. As stated, it doesn't work with a cable. It has a charge in the handle that builds pressure to ram the pin into the cartridge.

Not sure how a cable one would be triggered, but my guess is your buddy triggered it himself by pulling the trigger accidentally with arm movement or something catching on it.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
Both my riding partner and I have had the ABS packs now for five seasons of riding. He accidentally released his one time when the handle caught on the handlebar hook of his sled. Other than actually pulling the trigger, I seriously doubt you can accidentally set one off. Considering the beatings our bodies and gear take I am very confident that bag isn't going to deploy until I pull the handle.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Both my riding partner and I have had the ABS packs now for five seasons of riding. He accidentally released his one time when the handle caught on the handlebar hook of his sled. Other than actually pulling the trigger, I seriously doubt you can accidentally set one off. Considering the beatings our bodies and gear take I am very confident that bag isn't going to deploy until I pull the handle.

Agree fully...been riding with mine for 3 years...no way it will deploy without that handle being pulled either on purpose or by mistake.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I will be testing my Float 30 this weekend (bought one for me and one for my son) in McBride.
Have test deployed both of them and they did as they were suppose to then with some assistance from Glengine, directing me to the to watch the video on how to reset the air canister I took them to the local Paintball Office (Paint Ball Action Games in Edmonton) and had them both successfully recharged.
My hope is that I will never need to deploy the bags.

trailblazer

Reaction score
What did you guy's pay for your float 30?i found,and spoke to a guy in the states,who'd make a deal for a Tracker 2 beacon(he also has the pieps beacon for just a little more),probe,shovel,and a float 30 for 800 bucks,including shipping!He can't ship the cannisters full,but sounds like they're cheap enough to refill anyway.I asked about a deal if we could make a large purchase on some items,and he'd knock off 20-30 bucks for a purchase of 5 or more.If you want to purchase a float 30,it's 400 usd,less if we all get together.Lets see if we can get an order for 20,we'll get a smokin' deal and we'll all be better off for it!We could set up a kind of pass word to let him know the group order we're with?
Pm me,call 403 638 1000 or pdament@live.ca,my name is Paul,and this isn't a scam!!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Myself...I wouldn't bother with a cheap Avalanche Bag. When I checked out each of the better ones, they were all in around the 1200.00 range for a 30L bag. While the BCA product is very good, I went with the Snow Pulse because they make a tall model which fit me better. The 30 litre is big enough for me to pack water, food and a few other necessities and the heavy duty straps and buckles are awesome. The waist strap is about 2.5 wide and locks into an aluminum locking plate with an eyelet for the strap that comes up from between your legs. I also like that the bags deploy around your neck and down the front of your chest to help protect from trauma. Don't know anyone who's been through a serious slide and impacted a tree, but that would be the reason I'd want that extra protection if thrown into an imoveable object.

Do yourself a favour when buying a bag, do lots of research, go with one of the better bags that harness through your legs, and get real comfortable with the location of the trigger in case you ever need it.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
If an avalanche slams you into a tree, that bag is not going to save you, it isn't even going to slow you down. Buying an airbag backpack because you think it will help save you in the event of trauma isn't very realistic if you are honest with yourself about the amount of power even the smallest avalanche has.

Keeping you from being buried is the best hope you have. ONE brand has a long documented record of successfully doing just that.

trailblazer

Reaction score
I agree with not going the cheap route.the pack i'm looking at is a 30L,BCA float 30,comes with 2 cans.I mistyped the actual price,it's 499usd,going up to 700 next fall.they have a few in stock,but likely get as many as needed.Anyone interested should look to Avalanchetools.com.if anyone is interested as posted earlier,we can get a group rate,on all items in the catalog.

Top Bottom