autometer tach install on 2 stroke

donnie

Reaction score
Anyone know where i would splice in the signal wire for a autometer tachometer on a mountain max 700? I think i am getting closer, i am going to try the white/red sensor wire coming off the stator timing trigger sensor. Ive tried the blue wire, but it has too many signals going through it so it tricks the tach. I have a MSD tach adaptor that supposedly converts a magneto signal to a 12v signal but i believe the stator sends a 12v signal anyway but im not sure. Cant find much info on this so any feedback is appreciated.

donnie

Reaction score
I talked to the tech line for autometer and they said they dont have any info on setting up a tach on a snowmobile. They said the tachs burn out fast because snowmobiles go from 10v-37v depending on the rpm's. Isnt that why they have voltage regulators? I said i could splice in a tach adaptor to the signal wire and use that but the tech guy said it should work but he didnt know. He said they have been using the lighting or blue wire but the tachs burn out because of the voltaage spikes. I guess i will have to be the first one to try this?? I am going to run a voltage meter to the wires as well and check some voltages.

Top Bottom