Auto/Home Insurance

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
After moving to the acreage last October, and seeing what the house insurance is, then doing some math as to what we actually pay for all of our things, I'm starting to think it's time to start shopping around for a "better deal"

When I say better deal I don't mean cheaper, I mean good coverage reasonable price.

Currently we insure:
3 Automobiles (Full Coverage) (2 with Intact, 1 with AMA)
2 Snowmobiles (AMA)
2 ATV's (1 with Intact, 1 with AMA)
1 Enclosed Trailer (Intact)
1 Travel Trailer (Elite)
House on Acreage >7km from Fire hall.... (Portage)

we're paying almost $900.00 a month for insurance, that's $10,800 per year, that's a bit crazy.....

Who have you had good luck with?

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I’m with Cooperators solely and have life as well for me and the misses and I don’t think it’s as high as yours. I’d have to sit down and figure it all out though.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Your insurance is all over the place too many different companies. AMA is typically higher on there rates, they do offer good policy's. TD has good rates and some decent policy's but you need to review them as all these company's have different coverages and limits, some will cover you for overland water damage and some wont. Some will cover seepage even up to a limit. And some of these limits are real low, especially if your house is older that 1990 and you have a claim and have me come out to test and come up positive for asbestos in your drywall joint compound/texture/flooring, that can elevate a claim so much that a 25K limit doesn't even cover the abatement. I would diversify and try to get everything in one broker/agent. I do however always get my snowmobile through the ASA policy as that is a group policy with lots of additional benefits that no one else even comes close. Even get quotes from AMA, Cooperators, Allstate and a regular broker.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Your insurance is all over the place too many different companies. AMA is typically higher on there rates, they do offer good policy's. TD has good rates and some decent policy's but you need to review them as all these company's have different coverages and limits, some will cover you for overland water damage and some wont. Some will cover seepage even up to a limit. And some of these limits are real low, especially if your house is older that 1990 and you have a claim and have me come out to test and come up positive for asbestos in your drywall joint compound/texture/flooring, that can elevate a claim so much that a 25K limit doesn't even cover the abatement. I would diversify and try to get everything in one broker/agent. I do however always get my snowmobile through the ASA policy as that is a group policy with lots of additional benefits that no one else even comes close. Even get quotes from AMA, Cooperators, Allstate and a regular broker.
Sara has her insurance through AMA and mine's through a broker which is the Intact/Elite/Portage.....

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly crap thats alot of $$$$$. And I thought BC was expensive. Rough estimate would place us around 5500 for 1-truck, 1-car, 1 sled, house, camping trailer, sled trailer. 1-Geo tracker.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely pays to shop around. Be sure to send your policy to who your shopping it to so they know what you want priced. lots of games to play to get the rate lower, then you find out you don't have the same coverage.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After moving to the acreage last October, and seeing what the house insurance is, then doing some math as to what we actually pay for all of our things, I'm starting to think it's time to start shopping around for a "better deal"

When I say better deal I don't mean cheaper, I mean good coverage reasonable price.

Currently we insure:
3 Automobiles (Full Coverage) (2 with Intact, 1 with AMA)
2 Snowmobiles (AMA)
2 ATV's (1 with Intact, 1 with AMA)
1 Enclosed Trailer (Intact)
1 Travel Trailer (Elite)
House on Acreage >7km from Fire hall.... (Portage)

we're paying almost $900.00 a month for insurance, that's $10,800 per year, that's a bit crazy.....

Who have you had good luck with?

Im with cooperators, that sounds stupid high you need to consolidate your policy into one to start getting the discounts. For example there is a winter tire discount, and multiple policy discount.
I have just as much stuff as you and Im half that price.
I have 2000 in discounts with my auto policy alone.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put everything through Intact (Brokerlink). Much cheaper.
Had house (acreage) 4 vehicles, motorhome, two quads….was less than 900/mo. Right now we are house, 4 vehicles (including Hellcat), 1 quad….around 525/mo.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever you do, don't ever make a claim or it will double!

I made a claim on a sled a few years ago and my truck insurance went from 1500 a year to 6000 a year for full coverage.

Lesson learned. Liability insurance is the way to go I guess.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of claim? I have had speeding tickets and $5000 at fault claim on my sled and my trucks are still around $1250/yr. I know guys with impaired driving on their records that aren't paying $6000/yr.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of claim? I have had speeding tickets and $5000 at fault claim on my sled and my trucks are still around $1250/yr. I know guys with impaired driving on their records that aren't paying $6000/yr.

9000$ Claim. Insurance is AMA , my truck is modified and expensive also. I checked Co-operators, they were more.....

Definitely feels like a major rip off though, and not happy about it either.

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run the whole farm/home through wawanesa they just decided this year my rates should go up 11% with no reason behind it so shopped around snd switched to my mutual no real differences and is arounf 13% cheaper then wawanesa was going to be. Were around 6500 a year thats just some machinery and home vehicles all go through sgi and boat is premiure insurance when u figure out how much we pay in insurance its sad almost as bad as taxes

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My broker would not put my sled on with my vehicles. He says stay with that ASA policy, and warned me that If I had the sled on the same policy with vehicles that would defiantly affect my insurance rates.

Huh. I don’t understand that reasoning, maybe is a broker thing? I recently put my wifes SUV on my policy and its saving us 200 a year over it being on her wamanesa insurance that she had for decades.
Ive had numerous sleds and quads tied into the same policy for years, and its never affected my Auto rates.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve shopped around found them all similar once the new customer incentives are gone, maybe will have to try again this go round.

Thanks to asshat Kenney removing the max 5% per year increase our commercial business Insurance has increase approximately 30% over 3 renewals

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am just re doing my acerage/ farm insurance so not sure yet but we had the company stuff with sgi a few years ago and the same brokerage firm but different office shopped it around and saved us 20 grand first year. That was with sovereign

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Huh. I don’t understand that reasoning, maybe is a broker thing? I recently put my wifes SUV on my policy and its saving us 200 a year over it being on her wamanesa insurance that she had for decades.
Ive had numerous sleds and quads tied into the same policy for years, and its never affected my Auto rates.
Have you had a claim on the sleds or the quads, it doesn't affect the policy until you have a claim, and it can affect your entire policy. My side by side is on with my truck but that's at lower risk than the sled to get damaged.

Also the Alberta Snowmobile Association is a group policy which offers some additional features that insurers don't typically offer on Snowmobiles. The sef 43R is a great addition to the snowmobile policy.

Drayden Insurance Ltd. offers group rates for Members of the Alberta Snowmobile Association with up to 40% in discounts.

• We insure stand-alone snowmobiles
  • Limited Waiver of Depreciation (sef 43R) available for up to 24 months after the purchase of a new snowmobile.
  • Increased maximum value up to $30,000.
  • Loss of Use coverage is available to provide a rental if loss is due to an insured peril.
  • Members of ASA can also insure their Auto and Home policies for additional discounts and no service charge on monthly payments.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you had a claim on the sleds or the quads, it doesn't affect the policy until you have a claim, and it can affect your entire policy. My side by side is on with my truck but that's at lower risk than the sled to get damaged.

Also the Alberta Snowmobile Association is a group policy which offers some additional features that insurers don't typically offer on Snowmobiles. The sef 43R is a great addition to the snowmobile policy.

Drayden Insurance Ltd. offers group rates for Members of the Alberta Snowmobile Association with up to 40% in discounts.

• We insure stand-alone snowmobiles
  • Limited Waiver of Depreciation (sef 43R) available for up to 24 months after the purchase of a new snowmobile.
  • Increased maximum value up to $30,000.
  • Loss of Use coverage is available to provide a rental if loss is due to an insured peril.
  • Members of ASA can also insure their Auto and Home policies for additional discounts and no service charge on monthly payments.

No I have never had a sled claim, but thanks for the info, I’m going to look into this more, The SEF43R, is that the water clause or the full replacement for 24 months???

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance has went up so much in the last few years, except for house insurance which jumped from $5200 last year to $5475 this year, but that's 4 houses, acreage is $2250. General liability and vehicles personal and company, between 10-20% a year increases last 2 years. It baffles me to be paying 4% of revenue just in insurance for my company when the only claim i've had is a stolen vehicle which doesn't effect premiums. I have houses with peace hills, broker said and I checked with others they are the cheapest by far for an acreage even though they are terrible to deal with, other companies want like 50% more, i'm within 5 km of firehall, but the irony is, in the event of a fire that isn't going to mean SFA considering which fire hall it is. The way they rate so many things is retarded, my old ram 3500 even when brand new was really cheap, I pay more to insure a 1500 that is worth 1/5 the amount, and i've never had a claim against that policy.

Top Bottom