ATV Pull behind lawn mowers

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Hey Ladies / Gents,

I know this is a muddy forum.... lol as thats usually what we do with our machines.

But, I was wondering if anyone has used a pull behind lawn mower before with their ATV. And if you could recommend some good makes, models etc? The pull behinds I was researching into a little had their own engine, so unlike the pull behind lawn mowers that hook up to the tractors drive train.

Any input would be great!

thanks for all your help! :-D

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The guy down the road from me, use's one. It is about a 60" deck and has a briggs and scrapiron motor running the deck. It works really good for him, but he said after the first lap around the yard. The quad tires needed to be changed to something less aggressive ASAP!!!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a swisher rough cut tow behind, it is ok but not what I expected when purchased, 1st gear behind a honda 450 and no faster, blade speed is too low. It works but I would look at DR field mowers first.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had one from peavy mart, 60 inch cut with 13 hp motor worked good. just do't let the grass get to tall or it will stall out. you learn to control quad speed. used it for a couple years then bit the bullet and bought a kubota diesel, haven't looked back since.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
I have the 60" inch swisher from peavey mart with a 14.5 horse briggs on it. I used it this spring to cut the grass on our acreage for the first time that was about 18" tall. It cut well, but had to go really slow. Now I use it offset behind the quad to do the steep ditches, and offset it behind the garden tractor to cut 9' wide on the rest!! Cut my 4 acres yesterday in just over 2.5 hours.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind you're adding hours to a very expensive piece of equipment (your quad) that will shorten its lifespan. For not much more or the same money as a pull behind powered mower you can buy a riding mower that will do the job faster and better. Plus it will do other chores with the addition of a small trailer and is easier to get on and off of for repetitive things. If you get one, make sure it's hydrostatic drive. Mucho more user friendly.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not recommended for cutting thick tall weeds like sweet clover?? My brother is looking at getting one for his acreage to cut in and around a bunch of willows where he used to keep a horse and now it's grown up pretty thick.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not recommended for cutting thick tall weeds like sweet clover?? My brother is looking at getting one for his acreage to cut in and around a bunch of willows where he used to keep a horse and now it's grown up pretty thick.

they do work, and is an alternative to a ride-on-mower. don't think you will have too many problems. if you have a quad you may as well get some use out of it, usually what you bought it for. kiji has a few from time to time but check them over incase they were missused.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Swisher with a 23hp motor works great

Sent from my S4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376934800948.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376934800948.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 129

SKDeuce

Reaction score

It would probably do the trick. I find in really tall stuff I just have to make a few passes because the mower lays it all down, so you have to go at it from a couple different angles. The tow behind is nice for rough terrain where the garden tractor would get stuck. For cutting thick brush and stuff swisher also makes rough cut tow behind mowers. 2 blades instead of 3 and they say it will cut brush up to 3" diameter.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the Swisher I posted you can run right over trees with it and they are gone once it passes over them

Sent from my S4

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input.

The reason why i'm asking about this for behind the quad is my ditch is quite steep and I wouldn't recommend using a ride on (or the ride on mower i do own) to drive in the ditch due to the angle of the ditch. Way to easy to roll that sucker. its not as stable as a quad is on the angles :-D.

I'll look into the squisher model, how does it do at corners and turning around?

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its awesome basically will go whereever your quad will go within reason

Sent from my S4

Top Bottom