ATV Exhaust

Corwyn

Reaction score
Just kinda wondering if I was to put a HMF slip on, on my 2011 brute do i absolutely need a fuel optimizer? does it run terrible if I dont get one? Also plan on snorkeling it in the spring when it warms up!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might not run terrible but it might run lean and you can burn your motor down. Unless you have an afr guage with an o2 sensor you won't know for sure. Reading plugs used to be an option but the methanol in fuel now makes it tough

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
I run hmf on my commander. No controller. I ran a slip on on my outlander no problems. I ran hmf on my renegade no programmer over 8000km. No problems. Your good.

But if your worries go for a good run then pull plugs and look at the color.

Good luck.

Stiff

Tapatalk using iPad.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an HMF slip on, on my outlander 800, no controller. It runs and sounds awesome! Also upgrded the filter to a uni

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya.. stiffler is right... the only thing is that if you tuned it you could maybe squeeze another 1/2 hp out of the pipe by tuning.. if this is the only mod your going to do... i dont know on brutes but on can-am's 09 and up the stock air cleaner makes the most power.. all aftermarket filters make a touch less.. average loss of 1 rwhp on aftermarket compared to the stock can-am filter 09 and up.. dont know on a brute thou...dont believe all the hp lines you get like from K and n.. its not true.. iv dynoed for 30 hours now seeing what works and what does not on can-ams... the dyno dont lie....

now that said, i run a twin air aftermarket filter...why? cause it filters better than the stock or a k and n.. any foam type filter that you have to oil is superior in keeping your engine clean... i dont care on losing 1 rwhp...rather keep my motor last longer.... but when we orginize serious drag racing i change from the twin air to a stock 09 flitler on my can-am..

base run with twin air and overfilter sock = 70.39rwhp
take overfilter off the twin air = 70. 89rwhp
put in stock paper filter = 71. 60rwhp

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with mark as well. If you are not sure though add a Pc5 and dyno
It. Then it's bang on ,extra power and no
Guess work. Plus the brutes really respond well to a tune...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes that is true too.. brutes do respond good to a tune.. i don't know to much about brutes but when Neville said that, i remember now hearing that a few times...

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
X2 on above said.

All these companies claim 5-15hp with k&n or 7hp with just a slip on. Well in a way these companies are not lying. But what they are not telling you is filters and slip on will only make those numbers on basically a 100% modded engine and tuned 100% properly.

This is like saying my new 2013 dodge 1500 gets 36mpg like they claim it does. Well it actually does. But only if I was doing 80km/h downhill in a windless tunnel and driving on a surface smoother than glass.

You put a filter or a slip on on a stock motor and your lucky if you don't lose power. Or lucky if you gain an hp.

Slip on is for nothing but sound. K&n or uni is for nothing but cleaning and not replacing. Plus the uni probably will keep a bit more crap out.

Stiff

Tapatalk using iPad.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every quad comes out running a little fat to ensure good runability and no lean overheating. Running an exhaust may lean it just slightly which is still super safe.

Corwyn

Reaction score
Thats awesome thanks for all the help! Everybodys info is fantastic

Top Bottom