Attention abs/snowpulse airbags

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wanting to make everyone who wears an airbag to pull the bag the second you think you have a problem, not two seconds later, pull it instantly! Bodies are being dug up and the packs are not deployed. Think of your sled as being worthless even it it is a $50,000 climber it's no good to you if you're not around to ride it. Get your hand off the bars and deploy your pack and give yourself a chance.

Have a safe WINTER!

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you are climbing a hill and you turn out LOOK BACK, was out this weekend in valemount and watched some peeps climbing faces and not one of them peeps looked back after the started coming back down.......It only takes a second felles.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good advice but it still happens so fast that if your not paying attention you will pay the ultimate price...:twocents:

Twisted Boost

Biggest Poster
Reaction score
Also if you are climbing a hill and you turn out LOOK BACK, was out this weekend in valemount and watched some peeps climbing faces and not one of them peeps looked back after the started coming back down.......It only takes a second felles.

Great advice BD......:d

weldor

Reaction score
Here's some even better advice:

STAY OFF THE HILLS, Your air bag pack is designed to only help you chances in a slide it's not guaranteed to keep you alive.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I am in the same boat as many when I say I haven't got an abs bag yet due to the price. I know people will say what is your life worth......
So where is a good place with GOOD prices in Alberta to pick up an ABS pack?? Are they all $1000 and over?? After all that has happened I would like to get one, or even if someone had upgraded and have their old one they would like to sell.

Let me know I would like to get one before MM09.

Dragon mod

Reaction score
go to abssystem.com I just ordered one from there for 710.00 us and that includes the 35$ deposit for the test canister and handle, check it out $700 is a awful cheep 95% survival life insurance policy if you ask me expecially the way this year is going.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some even better advice:

STAY OFF THE HILLS, Your air bag pack is designed to only help you chances in a slide it's not guaranteed to keep you alive.

When the snow is sketchy agree with you 100%,but sledders are not going to stay off the hills forever.One,two or three years from now people are still going to ride and was trying to get the message across to use the safety gear you have.The same thing goes with tranceivers you do a check on the hill with some groups and you find they have been riding in receive mode or don't have batteries in there transceiver.You are absolutely right the air bags are not a guarantee to keep you alive but do increase your odds if they are deployed.

weldor

Reaction score
I agree sledders are not going to stay off the hills forever, just this year is a terrible year for conditions. I think the air bag avy packs are a great idea but I also know they make may riders braver than they should be. If you were to go to the mountains with no avy gear at all, would you ride anywhere where there is going to be the possibility of a slide. I know I wouldn't!!! Then you get a transceiver, shovel and probe and you get a little braver. Now you get the air bag packs and riders take more chances. I am all for taking risks and the adrenaline rush that comes with riding, that's why I do it. But this year is not the year to be taking the chances on the hills. I'm seeing people riding where it slides every year, I'm seeing tracks up avalanche shoots, and I'm also seeing damn near everyday on the news about packing out another body from the back country. There is lots of places where you can have fun out there and be safe. I keep riding them, and the sad part is there is very little tracks there.

Flying Pig

Reaction score
and they are no where near 95% either. Trauma will kill you 50% of the time. Watch for terrain traps!

I once pulled my cord in spring snow conditions because I heard a loud waterfall sound when I turned out. Got to the bottom and figured out it was just the snow in my trench. man it was warm that day. Woops! But better safe than sorry...

Calhoon

Reaction score
Another tip.... :rolleyes: Take your canister into the closest Canada Post Office, use their scale and have it weighed to make sure it is still full from last season. The weight in grams should be marked on the bottle, If it weighs less than marked go get it checked!!!

Play safe! :beer::beer::beer:

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day. Part of the reason i switched from the ABS to the Snowpulse was the fact that the snowpulse has a pressure gauge and can be refilled locally. The Snowpulse also inflates around a person head and releases its breathable air around a persons head if buried under snow. May give a person more time to be rescued. :)

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against these pack I think they are a good idea but I have never heard of one saving a life.
Is there any proof they even work? I hear alot about guys being uncovered with these packs on and not deployed.
Has anyone witnessed one saving a life?
Just my .02

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against these pack I think they are a good idea but I have never heard of one saving a life.
Is there any proof they even work? I hear alot about guys being uncovered with these packs on and not deployed.
Just my .02

Here are some save stories from RMX

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my .02

The ABS saved me from being buried,story a few pages back on this forum under (Thumbs up for ABS)

Have a safe WINTER!

powder_pigs

Reaction score
Martin Motor Sports in Edmonton carries the ABS bags.

Definatly worth the money, think of what your sled/gear/extras cost you. I would put money that almost every person on this forum has over $1000 invested in extras for their sled that do nothing for saving your life. I'm starting to think that if guys don't have a bag people might start refusing to ride with them as many of us won't ride with someone who doesn't have a beacon, shovel, and probe

It is recommended that you pull the cord yearly to make sure that the bag functions properly then pick up a new canister before your first ride. It's cheap insurance at $100 for the new canister (ABS) I know I pull mine every year.

Top Bottom