Atlas(allison)/Castle avy questions

KingCatz

Reaction score
We mainly ride atlas and piss around the 3 peaks near window, or just behind the hill at castle. We haven't ventured into the BC side yet, or to corbin. I'm just wondering what level of risks we take in the areas we currently ride? I'm trying acquire the best equipment to be prepared for the riding we do. I'm not going to purchase an ABS pack yet if the areas we are riding right now aren't considered that extreme compared to places like revy.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are making a mistake if you think Revy is "obviously' more dangerous. I ride Revy once a month and live one hour from Westcastle. My group has been all over the Castle area and there are more terrain traps, unstable slopes, and overall dangerous places in that small area than most areas in Revy. Corbin has many dangerous areas to worry about too....hard for me to show you from here but don't under estimate those spots...castle has killed several over the years...

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best equipment in the world won't stop you from making the wrong descision and frankly, from your rationale in your post, I would be concerned about your awareness of problem areas.

This is not a personal attack or warning, just a concern and a wish not to have to hear about another disaster.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was riding with a close friend who got buried at castle 3 yrs ago. fortunatly for him/us, everything turned out ok, but it was certainly a wake up call. play safe.

KingCatz

Reaction score
I was comparing revy to atlas more as we have only made two trips to castle so far and haven't explored everywhere there yet. I have no issue with you calling my experience into question because I fully consider myself still a newbie. I know that castle has more dangerous areas and have refused to go places I didn't feel were safe. So far this year we have only rode atlas and mostly stuck to the areas near window or the pipeline/trails. I want to take the avy training course so I know more about what to look out for. Castle/Corbin aside, how prone are the bowls at atlas to avys?

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many avalanche deaths have occured in Revy in the past say 10 years. I know of one in area 51 last year. Can't say I know of any others.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are bowls in atlas that will slide, especially this year. One of the references to think of when you are out is..if it is as steep as your stairs it can slide. I might be done for the year..I shut next weeks trip down to Revy and I am staying close to home for the familly...Kingcat..next year you can join our group for some rides in the BC..thats where the good snow is...

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Living in beaver mines and riding everywere at castle and carbondale area i would say the flathead valley is pretty treacherous at the best of times I have seen to many slides come down in avalanche alley on the bc side of middle kootenay pass it's a great area if you are very aware of what you are doing out there just gotta make sure you travel wisely in the castle area when going under some of the major faces that you must cross to get into the bc side.

Top Bottom